It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm seeing a new kind of ad.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'm not sure if it's on my end or that maybe my laptop is being keylogged but when I go on ATS sometimes the page that I'm viewing turns into a webpage with an ad. Is this on my end?

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Check on your ad ons that do not require permission in your browser and see if any of them is from Mayhem if is from mayhem then you have an activex installed.

That is the culprit that caused mine.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Just a minute ago my entire ATS webpage was redirected to a snickers ad webpage.

I'm running anti spyware scan now to see what comes up but I'm running firefox and I doubt I have any malware. Maybe ATS is getting hijacked. Hee Hee

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Same here, whats going on? If this is a new attempt at advertising its very lame and I hope ATS stops it right away!

I've got redirected to a snickers and coke survey add and I had to clear cookies and relog into ATS both times to get away from it, back doesn't help.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yeah its a real nuisance. I don't mind them making money on ads, but this form is absolutely abrasive to the site. Every time I see one, ATS should pay me a dollar for having to hit the "back" button.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Snickers add pop up number 3 and counting...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Yes I just got the Snickers ad as well it totally diverted me off of ATS and to the ad, highly annoying! I realize ATS has the need and the right to make money from advertisers...but that is a little ridiculous to force us to sit there for a certain amount of seconds, the back button doesn't work while it counts down...it's much too intrusive IMO. I sure hope this doesn't become a trend and the norm on ATS, I'd rather pay a fee for ATS and not have this happen then have to sit through something like that every time I read a thread.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Plus if you use Firefox and open threads in new tabs with the middle mouse button, like I do, the back button doesn't work and it doesn't return to the original page.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Ive been redirected to the snickers ad once. I cant stand that kind of ad. I hope the three amigos read this and dont allow this type of ad in the future. There incredibly annoying.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
If you do have firefox, I recommend installing the AdBlock Plus add-on, it's really amazing at hiding even the embedded advertisements.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rexpop
If you do have firefox, I recommend installing the AdBlock Plus add-on, it's really amazing at hiding even the embedded advertisements.

Well, yes, I do have that in my standard profile (as well as NoScript, FlashBlock, all that good stuff). But I used the Firefox profile manager to set up another profile I use for browsing ATS, without AdBlock or NoScript, so as not to short Above Network any ad revenue. (Think something along those lines is required by the TAC).

Although I do still have FlashBlock installed; for security purposes -- there's nothing in the TAC that requires what are optional browser components to be functional.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Wow! Am I the only person that still uses IE?

well... I'm off to buy a snickers.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Wow! I had no idea adblocking was banned in the T&C, I'll turn that off. Not sure if it would actually limit their income though, as I think it merely "hides" the visibility and sound of the ads as opposed to removing them from the page. I'm not too tech savvy when it comes to internet script and stuff like that. I don't want to short change ATS though so now I'll get all those glorious snickers advertisements I guess... :-S

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Do not turn on any pop-up or ad blockers. This is against the ToS.

Yes, I get the page redirects too. It's a new type of add. Once you're on the page, you will see a link to go back to the ATS page, at the top.

XL5

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
This IS imo ATS's doing, they are "allowing" this knowing it will be tolerated by most. This type of AD pays the site alot of money but is used a tiny bit at first. A motor scooter building site I used to visit did this but did it full force, I don't visit it at all anymore even though it taught me more then ATS has.

However, if ATS has been hacked and the mods don't want the hacker to know by posting in this thread, the least they could do is send a U2U to the posters in this thread.

Notice how there were threads like this before and the 2-3rd was a mod saying that maybe it was another site or a p0rn site you visited before comming here (ATS). There are no mods to explain this time, to me, that says they already know and don't want to talk about it. If they do post here, they will dissmiss what I say in an official PR tone and/or post mocking jabs in a somewhat polite way.

The mods responsible for AD's/money should be asking the AD providers what the content of the AD's are, including underhanded tactics that fool the ignorant. If they did and have changed alot of AD providers, then all the irate emails to that provider from the mods should be made semi-public in RATS, just to prove that they are not some feelingless corp looking to make a buck.

So many times in the past, mods would say they don't make any money, now its accepted that the top mods do make "some". Not that they don't totally deserve it (the do), but the whole bit about joking about getting money then making it common knowledge seems like something the govt would do. OJ Simpson....what if I did it?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
ATS do not allowed pop pops or pages hijackers, but they support the regular adds that you get on top, side, mid and very bottom of the page.

So any annoying pop, pops is due to something else.

I still use Ie and since I took care of the media mayhem active x I am not having any more annoying pop ups.

I have no problem with the other ads.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Are these ads only showing up for US members?
I am in Spain and have had no trouble at all...

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
This IS imo ATS's doing, they are "allowing" this knowing it will be tolerated by most.

Actually, no.

This type of ad can be spawned by an errant banner ad... I'm looking into it.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
If anyone gets this ad... PLEASE see if you can obtain both the URL of the page that is loaded, as well as the source HTML of the page, then U2U me.

Thanks.

In the mean time, I've replaced the source of the footer banner which I believe may be the source of the problem (not certain though).

Question for those that got this... did it happen ONLY on thread pages?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I would click on a thread I wanted to read, the page would come up then *poof* mine was a sears ad but that was about a week ago. It never would let me go back to ATS. It was very irritating. It has not happened to me since.

The day it did happened to me, it was over and over again, so I just didnt come back to ATS for a day or so.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join