It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US, Iraq Long-Term Security Deal Abandoned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

US, Iraq Long-Term Security Deal Abandoned

www.huffingtonpost.com

U.S. and Iraqi negotiators have abandoned efforts to conclude a comprehensive agreement governing the long-term status of U.S troops in Iraq before the end of the Bush presidency, according to senior U.S. officials, effectively leaving talks over an extended U.S. military presence there to the next administration.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Bush fails? This is a big deal when one considers the aims of the Bush administration. I wonder is the official request for our withdrawal is soon to follow? Personally I see this as a GOOD thing for the USA I really thought Bush was going to be able to obligate the USA in Iraq for decades.

The failure of months of negotiations over the more detailed accord -- blamed on both the Iraqi refusal to accept U.S. terms and the complexity of the task -- deals a blow to the Bush administration's plans to leave in place a formal military architecture in Iraq that could last for years.

Although President Bush has repeatedly rejected calls for a troop withdrawal timeline, "we are talking about dates," acknowledged one U.S. official close to the negotiations. Iraqi political leaders "are all telling us the same thing. They need something like this in there. . . . Iraqis want to know that foreign troops are not going to be here forever."

Unlike the status-of-forces agreements between the United States and countries such as South Korea and Japan, where large numbers of U.S. troops have been based for decades, the document now under discussion with Iraq is likely to cover only 2009. Negotiators expect it to include a "time horizon," with specific goals for U.S. troop withdrawal from Baghdad and other cities and installations such as the former Saddam Hussein palace that now houses the U.S. Embassy. link

I wonder how this will affect the Embassy we built in Iraq as well as all the other military installations we were, Bush was, putting in place?

Bottom line Bush is NOT getting what he wants and it is MHO that that is good for the world.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Animal]

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This is great news. I just hope it happens before someone gets trigger happy and fires off a rocket into Iran and starts the entire Middle East conflict all over again.

Oh darn, Pinky and the Brain (Bush and Cheney) dont get to "take over the world" today.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I like this bit :

blamed on both the Iraqi refusal to accept U.S. terms and the complexity of the task

With the US terms being that they retain the long-term use of more than 50 bases in Iraq and demanding immunity from Iraqi law for US troops and contractors, and a free hand to carry out arrests and conduct military activities in Iraq without consulting the Baghdad government. Not much of a surprise really , this 'refusal to accept' the US terms.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I believe that the new emerging Iraqi elite is very into economics and with the raising of oil prices they will become a very wealthy nation without having the US oil barons controlling their wealth for 50 years.

That is why they are waiting for the next president to start negotiations under their own terms.

I tell you if progress and capitalism and globalization was the intended result of the invasion, this Iraqis are learning very fast.

Oil controls the world and the US no the other way around, so Iraq is not going to give away their only way of negotiation while having US troops and presence breathing down their backs.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Bravo to the Iraqi's

the last thing they need is the US tieing them down.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
And Iraq wants it's green zone back by the end of the year .

The green zone of Baghdad, a highly fortified slice of American suburbia on the banks of the Tigris river, may soon be handed over to Iraqi control if the increasingly assertive government of Nouri al-Maliki, the prime minister, gets its way.

A senior Iraqi government official said this weekend the enclave should revert to Iraqi control by the end of the year. “We think that by the end of 2008 all the zones in Baghdad should be integrated into the city,” said Ali Dabbagh, the government’s spokesman.

“The American soldiers should be based in agreed camps outside the cities and population areas.

“By the end of the year, there will be no green zone,” he added. “The separation by huge walls makes people feel angry.” Dabbagh acknowledged that getting rid of the green zone would be a huge undertaking, given the thousands of American soldiers, private contractors and foreign workers who live inside. He said the concrete walls that divide it from the rest of the city would be taken down slowly, “depending on the threat and circumstances.

The prospect may prove disconcerting for the Americans, who have just begun to transfer their diplomatic operations in the zone from Saddam Hussein’s Republican Palace to a new embassy, the largest and most expensive in the world.

They could put them up in tent cities on the outskirts of Baghdad, sort of a foretaste of what's to come when they are finally booted out and back in the US.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

edit : forgot link

[edit on 14-7-2008 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I can see Iran jumping for joy over this one.

However, I can also see why the Iraqis want their country and oil revenue under their own control... So I am torn.

I disagreed with the war in Iraq in the first place, and said that there seemed to be alot of Iranian whispering behind the scenes to get Saddam removed so Iran could take areas of Iraq... and they fell for it too.

now, this is just going from really bad, to totally sucking big time.

But around the corner is a possible Iran war, and maybe Iran want the uSA out of Iraq and are putting pressure on fellow muslims ...

A complicated game for sure.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The Iraqi government better watch their step. They can be replaced just like Saddam was. Remember the blue fingers.

I don't think the real movers and shakers of the Iraqi invasion are going to capitulate to this new upstart government. How dare they think even for a minute that they are a sovereign nation.

Yes Dan, a very complicated game.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Iran and Iraq have always been rivials... thrughout recent history, and global history.

But, now, Iraq is going to be a little brother to the US now... like many other COuntries around the world, the country will be a sovergin state, but the US will be there to help them at any momnet...

Any attacks on Iraq, is tantamount to attacking a US ally...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Good for economy and country...yet this is disturbing because this wont have a positive effect for us with all of this iran attack stuff...Now that we aren't within striking distance, he may send in the jets.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Yeah for the Iraqis, kick us out its really a win for us politically and economically. Trust me. GO Iraqi's.

Look here is the deal and Bush knows it, we blew it, the planning for the after war really sucked, really sucked.

Bush can't just say ok look we bombed your country killed a bunch of people and now we are going home, thanks it was fun the last 5 years but really we got to go. And leave the country in a mess of destroyed wasteland that it basically is currently. True there has been some progress but we really messed stuff up bad over there.

We spent Billions and Billions of paper money for both wars that has caused the dollar to tank and caused a global economic meltdown due to the falling dollar.

So oil goes way up, people are complaining gas is too high, we try pressuring OPEC they claim no drastic output changes needed because price is so high demand is actually falling but price goes even higher, must be crazy market hysteria, but its bad overall for business.

The media quick to run any news bit to cause panic regarding oil and prices push even higher.

To stabilize the US economy we need to stop the massive amounts of war spending that our government coffers simply do not have, we need to stop printing more money which is only dilluting the global valuation of the dollar, contributing to global economic weakness.

So go Iraq !!! tell us to go home, tell us you will discuss oil when the time is right.

Bush opened up coastal oil rights, lets open more areas, lets pump domestic and lets bring the troops home. GO Iraq if you tell us to go home then Bush can look like the good guy, he can say job done they no longer need us. And after we leave when the dirt hole falls into civil war due to Iran Bush can snicker and say I told you so. Tough S#$^T we are pumping domestic oil and whether its a dem or a pub sitting in the oval office they will be saying to the public whatever the public wants we are pumping domestic oil, we are working for the economic freedom of America......

And it will not be Bush fault that we did not make the objective of the Iraq war. And he will not be blamed for the civil war and after we come up with the evidence on Iran's direct involvement with the Iraq civil war courtesy of the crumbling Iraqi government we will share that with the UN and every Nation that thinks Irans Nuclear goals are only for peace and we should tell them you all had your chance we could have done something while we were in Iraq but now with a recovering but fragile US economy you Nations in danger due to the Iranian threat will have to figure it out. OHHH you want the US to come save you now.... Now you will have to pay the piper....

Free oil contracts ? Oil rights for saving your butts... Ohh ok...

And in the end Bush Co and big oil will have made more money again then must of us common folk will ever be able to dream of...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Soooo.. apparently the Iraqi president has asked for a timetable for the full withdrawl of the American army. What if perhaps this is all orchestrated to free up the soldiers stationed there for the "Main Event"

Sure I'm happy that Iraq have told the Bush administration where to go but somehow I feel that this is still all part of the plan.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Puppet Government!!!
This doesn't change much..
Bush has probably decided to save money by abandoning the deal because of the unforeseen speed of the Us economic decline.
And now... onto Iran!

top topics

join