It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you tell if your phone is tapped?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
You can tell your phone is tapped when you hear a snicker in the background when you are being all mushy with your significant other.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I got a net10 phone last March. I got a number of messages left in spanish but just figured they would get it that the number no longer belonged to whoever they were calling. About 3 weeks ago I got a message on my cell that the phone was being "monitored" for someone who was "associated" with this number, and also the woman with him. That there were federal warrants out on him and also the postal service in Stockton, CA. They did not leave a number but I called back the screen number and it was an AT&T voicemail; but when I checked with AT&T they said it was no longer their number and to call the local police. By the way, it isn't your phone per se that is being tapped; it's the number. So getting new phones won't help. You need a new number, preferably in another name if you can somehow do that. If they tap a "line" then I don't know. I let the Net10 phone lapse so I hope that's the end of it. Now whenever I hear a weird noise on my cordless phone, like tonight, I wonder if it's a tap. I HATE Bush and I hate all those freeking weirdos who think they have to turn the U.S. into a police state. They have a record of every person who called me and every person I called. Are they tapping those numbers as well?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by cheshire cat

I worked for a local phone company for 5 years..... here is the deal if u are to be tapped calling the phone company will do u no good. they arent allowed to tell you anything. there is a special dept that handles taps with local and federal law enforcement agencies. only these people in this dept even have access to this information. so ur average jo customer service or support rep will not even know n play the normal role with lines checks, service calls and line replacement
I cant say that ur phone is tapped or not but this is the way they do it at the local telephone division. if they replaced ur line outside then could be lines inside u would have to get the inside wire protection then they fix for free otherwise its ur responsibility....

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

First Method

Call 202-543-9994

Listen for a steady monotone signal with no interrupts. That means you are not being tapped. If you hear any interruptions in the signal tone, then you are being listened to.

Second Method:

Call 101028817709889664
2. They will first repeat the phone number you are calling from and then repeat a bunch of zeros. The number at the end of the zero’s is what is important. If it is a 1 - you have never been tapped and are not presently tapped.

If it is a 2 it means you have been tapped in the past but no longer are tapped.

If it is a 3 it means you ARE being tapped presently and you need to be careful what you say over the phone.
Source

Try that.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   

The us government has the ability to monitor any phone used on the planet but you would never know it occurred. The us Govt has project echelon

Ex-Snoop Confirms Echelon Network

If its a direct wire tap the govt has to get a court order good for 30 days. Anything beyond that requires proof to maintain.

Truth is if your hearing clicks in your line a switch is going bad in one of there hubs prepare yourself next you will get cross talk( hearing other conversations and random phone rings with no one there). This is tough to find Any phone conersation can pass thru several hubs. Echo is caused either on you end or other phone your talking to volume is to high and the receiver picks up the voice again and you hear that weird delay to test this have the other person turn down the volume on there phone and see if it goes away. I work for a phone company these complaints are common.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
My phoned IS tapped! While making outbound calls, you'll hear a small click, sometimes while the person your calling's phone is still ringing. The same for the end of your outbound calls. Wait until the person you've called hangs up and after several seconds you will hear the click again.

Inbound calls will work the same way.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This isn't the 1980s. It's not Miami Vice, with Switek sitting in a van with headphones on, with a cable patched directly into the phone network. Phone bugs are installed at the exchanges, and are purely digital in operation. That means you won't be able to tell you are being bugged, as they don't affect the call in the slightest. It used to be that when you were being bugged, someone had a phone on your actual line, and was simply listening as one can do on a second handset on the same line in your own home, only the tappers didn't have microphones on their handsets, but the physical act of tapping the line meant call degradation, and interference.

Now, you simply won't know. It's impossible to tell.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Watch or listen to Democracy Now's interview with James Bamford (10-14-2008) and hear it explained in detail.

Basically it's all tapped, all the time and being recorded. It's just a matter of whether anyone ever bothers to listen to your call. There's no privacy in any electronic communications unless you are using encryption. You would never know you're being recorded, because you're always being recorded.

The clicking and echo and other such noises are usually just some faulty equipment between you and the person you're talking to. The recording is done in core of the telephone company and is impossible to detect with your ear to the phone. Of course, your neighbors could tap your phone almost as easily (and detectably) as hopping on your wi-fi internet connection.

Bottom line is... when it comes to phones: there is no privacy, just the illusion of privacy.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by alternateheaven

you'd need to have a wireless router setup like a WAP (wireless access point) assigned WEP or not. WPA is more secure than WEP.
All it takes is a linux lappy (OS preferably BackTrack 3 based off of slackware) which comes with a pre-compiled/installed version of airsnort, and aircrack.

Others are Kismit, or airmon. etc.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

yes this happened to me wen i lived with a controlling ex who was evil. he knew everywhere i went and even the conversations id had when i was in the car, i looked in the history of his computer and found hed been loooking for security items and bugging equipment. he was a very weird character indeed!!!!! i still feel like my home is bugged everyday and people laff at me and call me paranoid.the feeling will not go away and he still takes piss and calls me names to his daughter saying im schizy.i think im quite normal.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Someone once told me that nowadays they can listen to ur phone even if its not in a convo. And that as long as it has the batery in it they can listen to whatever is goin on around the phone...i didn't really believe..but ehh with all this technology nowadays it wouldnt surprise me lol

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
hey. i used to be a telephone/intenet engineer, and i must confirm that if u do here a clicking noise and a slight echo on you phone then ur a most definate being tapped, ive tried this on my phone line a few times and i tapped my ex-girl friends phone from the cab/mux i used to work for the NTL phone company witch id now virgin media, i used to do this everyday, when i was looking for a free phone space in the cab i used to listen to other peoples calls and when i did this people used to say did u here that clicking noise, me and my m8 used to have gud fun with this on our but phone we used to thro a few words in there to # em up. but yea its the clicking noise. click click

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SNK Ghost7

Government agencies perform tapping in the exchange, not in cabinets
And they use digital equipment, not analogue, so the tappee won't know they are being tapped.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SNK Ghost7

NTL, now Virgin, used to be one of my employers way back in the day, so I know how well you field guys were trained...

I am ex-Nortel, best of the best

Tapping, as used by the intelligence services, does not involved anyone going there and connecting up some wiring to someones connection on a krone block in the cabinet. It is all done digitally and can be done from the network nodes.

Anyone with a pair of speakers and some wire can do that, seeing as it is just electrical impulses being sent through the wire from the customers phone to the cab.

The "clicking" that they hear is basically you not having made a solid connection and generating electrical "noise" from the sparks that are being produced. If MI5 or 6 did that, it would be incompetant and unprofessional.

So, in short, yes clicking could be indicative of some chavvy oik having a laugh and listening to you down the road, but if "THEY" wanted to listen to your conversations, there are better, undetectable ways to do it.

Clicking is (99 times out of 100) indicative of a fault which in itself is probably a loose connection making "noise".

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
every electronic device is monitored...
especially CellPhones... walking bugs ....

If you start a Militia in your Area.... make sure no electronic devices are present at meeting...

remember, sooner or later the Towns and Counties are going to have to cut cost's... and Public protection is where I see them cutting... so, basically, there will be Militias (Neighborhood Security Forces)

[edit on 13-11-2008 by BornPatriot]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
yaw are freaking hilarious!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Phone systems 101

Ok in these modern times of digital routers, digital muxes and digital transmission, phone calls are no longer carried over the old twisted pair wires. This means that it is no longer required to directly connect to, or even inductively connect to a phone conversation.

A 1 is a 1 no matter how many times it is duplicated, and a zero is a zero no matter how many times it is duplicated...thus in effect, that 1 and 0 are the same, regardless of who gets the 1 and 0 in the end.

Hearing "clicks" on your phone does not mean your being tapped. There is only a fraction of twisted pair wire used between your telephone and the mux outisde your house in the alley way. From there it is digital. Now if you see the phone company guy out there during these "clicks" and "pops" when on the phone, it could be the phone guy is fixing the mux outside your house for someone else, or perhaps enabling service for someone else.

Also, dispite the fact that the twisted pair of wires are in such a short length between the phone and the mux out in the alley, they are still suspect to EMF discharge, which in other words, produces "clicks" and "pops" on the line.

With a majority of people using cordless phones, and cell phones these days, all they have to do to listen to your phone call is to simply "tune" into the frequency you are using, thus does not produce any "clicks" or "pops".

In other words, you will NEVER know if your call is being monitored. EVER.

It is MORE likely you are hearing simple interference, perhaps from someone's engine with faulty spark plug wires, or someone using an arc welder down the street or on the next block, or perhaps some enthusiastic ham operator playing around with their CW transmitter, or someone playing around with high voltage experiments.

Food for thought.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
you can buy tap detectors cheap online

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Don't pay your cell phone bill, after sometime its not cut off its a good indicator that someone has placed a flag on your account and possibly listening.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join