It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sad saga of a soldier from Long Island

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

The sad saga of a soldier from Long Island

www.newsday.com

The March 2003 image became one of the most iconic of the U.S. invasion of Iraq: that of a bespectacled American soldier carrying an Iraqi child to safety. The photograph of Army Pfc. Joseph Dwyer, who was raised in Mount Sinai, was used by news outlets around the world.

After being lionized by many as the human face of the U.S. effort to rebuild a troubled Iraq, Dwyer brought the battlefield home with him, often grappling violently with delusions that he was being hunted by Iraqi killers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Could this have been about the suspect "Iraqi" killers who went around beheading people with a british accent?
www.inteldaily.com...
or something else?
Was his "craziness" based in fact?

www.newsday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-7-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
May his soul rest in peace and rise in glory.

This is one of the saddest things I have read in a great while...

Pre-emptive wars are fundamentally evil, and they damage so many more people than those contained on the field of battle.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I was thinking along the lines of this
sort of subterfuge that leaves soldiers questioning our goals.
I can't find past articles about it on ATS.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Anyone else?
What do you think about the
discrepancies showcased in these articles?

Is there another thread on the British caught red-handed(probably American, too)
Let's help clarify for those who still think nothing is amiss.
A whole Lot of messed up News!

[edit on 7-7-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
185 views(some of those are mine.), 4 flags and only one response?

Very interesting stuff, but, if I've posted it wrong, then, please someone else
take up this topic, because it doesn't seem to have been covered here on ATS.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
It is unfortunate that this isn't getting any responses. I just saw the article on digg, so I wanted to see if there was a discussion about it.

Right now, many people are just looking at the death toll and thinking that the American losses are relatively low. While that is true, the amount of people who will suffer from this war for the rest of their lives is going to be staggering.

How many thousands upon thousands of troops are going to be suffering like Joseph Dwyer did? I don't know how people can think that PTSD is somehow isolated to Vietnam. It isn't and it could very well be an epidemic in the near future. Hopefully the govt doesn't ignore it as long as they did last time.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Thank you, Karl.
It's sad to see these soldiers haunted by Iraq.
I knew a guy who said he was a sniper in the first gulf war. He got drunk nearly every day as well as hard drugs. He said he had to shoot women and children.
What about those british guys caught dressing up in arab clothes and killing Iraqi soldiers?

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

It just really reminds me of all of the Vietnam vets that I have met. I would like to think that we learned something from that war, but it appears as if we haven't.

new topics

top topics

join