It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MARS phoenix probe - How long before something happens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The time is now 14:57 07/07/08 - I predict that within a short space of time (less than a month) something will happen to the phoenix probe that will cease all public transmission and close the project - WHY? - Because I believe the probe is there to do a job that we aren't privvy to.

They have done their public bit by teasing us with the possibility of ice/life e.t.c and now its time to do the job its there to do.....Watch this space it will happen!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

That's what's known as a "sucker bet". The program organizers don't expect the Phoenix lander to survive the Martian winter, which gets underway in ~80 days...so your "within a month" is a bit short, but something *will* cause an end to transmissions 'shortly', which is a crying shame. Personally, I think the design should have included a small nuclear source to keep the instrument package heated, but nobody asked my opinion.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
In my opinion, NASA has never sent any probe to Mars. It's another hoax like the false moon landing.
To land Phoenix probe on Mars they used a 12 meters parachute (diameter). That probe weighed 350 kg.
To land Curiosity probe they have used a 15 meters parachute. This probe weighs 900 kg.

Phoenix probe landing: SEVEN MINUTES OF TERROR

Curiosity probe landing: SEVEN MINUTES OF TERROR

Mars gravity: 38% of Earth's.
Mars atmosphere density: 1 % of Earth's.

How is it possible to slow down 342 kg (900 x 38 % = 5 men's weight) on Mars with 15 meters parachute if atmosphere density is 1 % of Earth's.

On the Earth you need: 5 men x 7 sq m (parachute 3 meters diameter) = 35 sq m = about 6 meters diameter.

Suppose to slow down Curiosity's velocity at 70%. Let's make the calculation (density 1%): 35 sq m x 70 = 2450 sq m : 3.14 = 780 Square root of 780 = 28 meters radius = 56 meters diameter

You need a 56 meters diameter parachute to slow down Curiosity at 70 % of its velocity in the rarefied atmosphere of Mars

new topics

join