It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does A.T.S collect and show all our stats?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I am relatively new to this site and I am enjoying it immensely, However, one thing concerns me, and that is why does A.T.S show all our stats. For example we can see how many threads started, how many times the user has replied to posts e.t.c

I don't want to sound paranoid and I am not dissing A.T.S but I have been thinking about this over the weekend and I personally find it hard to trust any large organisation that collects stats from its users nowadays?

Isn't this an ideal way for the powers that be to build a profile on a user and see if he/she warrants a tag/threat to National Security?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
it's pretty standard on a buliten board to be able to search someones posts and threads. Well,at least it is on all the ones I post on.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

to see if someone is a troll and to track the threads they start that turn out to be meaningless

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Whats worst though a troll or thread profiling? wouldn't it be better for everyone if the mods keep this data secret? just thinking out loud here

By the way I found your post about JFK very interesting

[edit on 30-6-2008 by franspeakfree]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Yes and these stats are pretty important...they could um ...track us...and stuff...using the number of how many times we post, + the number of times that um...we WOULD have posted...with their, matrix thought-guessing machine and thereby find out our street address etc...
And then they could, um, send us junk mail and stuff....:::shuddering in fear::::

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313

Yes and these stats are pretty important...they could um ...track us...and stuff...using the number of how many times we post, + the number of times that um...we WOULD have posted...with their, matrix thought-guessing machine and thereby find out our street address etc...
And then they could, um, send us junk mail and stuff....:::shuddering in fear::::

Ha ha...I was going to make an example of you but your profile says it all no need to dig deep

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Just about every board out there has the ability to do this. Yea, the admins of the site could make it private if they chose to, but why bother?

If the powers that be feel you're important enough to watch your every move, (and face it, most of us aren't that important), they have better ways to do so than browsing your profile on ATS. It would be real easy for someone to slip a hardware keylogger into your keyboard, for example.

If you really feel that paranoid about it, use the post anonymously feature.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
There are many knowledgeable people on this forum but there is one person on this forum that is a cut above the rest they provide detailed information about certain topics and they take their time over their threads. This person in question would easily provoke more than a little interest to the powers that be.

Just because we have a free platform does not mean that it is not monitored

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The thing is, TPTB don't need the ATS profile feature to monitor what people post.

All they have to do is use web spiders to monitor the board. They can just program it look for that particular person's posts.

Come to think of it, they don't even have to do that, since all of the major search engines already use web spiders. They can just find the posts via those.

The point being, nothing on the net is hidden. If a person doesn't want there to be easy access to what they post, then they shouldn't post.

As an example, here's a google search for your posts. It took all of 5 seconds for me to find them all, without using anything ATS related, aside from your username, and a link to the forums.

[edit on 6/30/2008 by tebyen]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I made a boo-boo.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

Mod Edit- Make that Two.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
How precisely was my post off-topic?

All i was doing was expressing why i think A.T.S collects and shows all our stats, so i don't see why my post was "off-topic".

Unless, of course, it was simply not what certain members wanted to see...

Mod Note: You Have An Urgent U2U- Click Here.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
perhaps you can say what you were going to say a little diplomatically maybe?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

You mean, without calling people douchbags?

I'll admit my post was rather indirect.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
It's all apart of a larger conspiracy my friend....far more important than you and I!!!!

With all seriousness I could only assume to better the website

Best Regards,

Richie

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Seaman_Richie

Therein lies the difference.

I attempted to be specific, and thus great calamity was brought about upon myself because of it.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Back on Topic Please.

Thank You

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
That's Easy,

It is the shadow governments way of knowing how to seperate the casual, harmless conspiracy theorists from the REAL hardcore ding bats.

I heard "somewhere" that if you acculmulate more than 50,000 ATS points your name automatically gets placed on an NSA watch list and you are then legally considered an enemy of the state

...best to keep it below 49,999 if you know whats good for ya

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

That's Easy,

It is the shadow governments way of knowing how to seperate the casual, harmless conspiracy theorists from the REAL hardcore ding bats.

I heard "somewhere" that if you acculmulate more than 50,000 ATS points your name automatically gets placed on an NSA watch list and you are then legally considered an enemy of the state

...best to keep it below 49,999 if you know whats good for ya

Your already on there then!

top topics

join