It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"An Appraisal Of Technologies Of Political Control"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I came across this document and found it to be very disturbing. It seems authentic but I can’t verify it; maybe members can chime in on that.

cryptome.org...

The title of the document * An Appraisal Of Technologies Of Political Control * implies manipulation of ideology – of thoughts and ideas - not just control of people in dangerous situations such as protests, insurrections or war zones.

It’s ten years old now and I shudder to think of what techniques may have been added to the appraisal. Even so, it plainly discusses the use of torture by the U.S. How well we know that now…

I’d also like to find out more about the Omega Foundation, the few links I found were dead ends. Does anyone have any more information about this?

[edit on 20/6/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
As the author of that commissioned report I can reply. It was commissioned by the European parliament in 1996, completed in 1997 and started the committee process in december that year.

The report recommended the commissioning of a number of other reports on surveillance and echelon which are on the cryptome site, and another two on crowd control weapons and prison technology respectively

In response the Parliament set up the Temporary Committee on Echelon and its findings are public and you can find them on the Statewatch.org site which is a mine of other official information on state security operations.

The reports recommendations on torture technology transfers were taken seriously and changes in legislation were proposed. Omega met with Amnesty and the UN Special rapporteur on torture in London and set out an Export Control Order which all EC countries have signed up to. Not all the recommendations were agreed: the proposals specifically mention outlawing sensory deprivation techniques and knowledge transfers of the type that have been used in Guantanamo but member states couldnt agree on that or the inclusion of second generation incapacitating weapons mentioned in later reports.

The then UN Special rapporteur on torture included the need to extend these regulations beyond the EU to all countries but that might take some time. maybe the enxt US administration could look into it?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Thank you for your reply. I am going to do some reading on the website you referenced.

By "second generation incapacitating weapons" do mean weapons such as ADS and the like?

I am curious as to the general percentage of torture techniques in the report that were exported from the U.S.? And by whom? Contractors, consultants or military?

Can you add any more about the Omega Foundation? Everything that was linked on the original document is now a dead end.

[edit on 3/7/2008 by kosmicjack]

new topics

join