It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy Guzzled by Al Gore's Home in Past Year Could Power 232 U.S. Homes for a Month

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Energy Guzzled by Al Gore's Home in Past Year Could Power 232 U.S. Homes for a Month

www.tennesseepolicy.org

“A man’s commitment to his beliefs is best measured by what he does behind the closed doors of his own home,” said Drew Johnson, President of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research. “Al Gore is a hypocrite and a fraud when it comes to his commitment to the environment, judging by his home energy consumption.”

In the past year, Gore’s home burned through 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Imagine that. The GW prophet is a hypocrite. I'm speechless.

Now tell me that this man is actually concerned with climate change. Tell me he is an environmentalist. His answer to is to invest in carbon credit's from a company he has invested in.

newsbusters.org...

On Wednesday, despite claims by one of Gore's representatives two months ago, it was revealed that his Generation Investment Management private equity fund has taken a 9.5 percent stake in a company that has one of the largest carbon credit portfolios in the world.

Now before ya all start jumping on me about climate change, I actually believe that climate change is happening. I just don't believe or trust this 21st century snake oil salesman.

www.tennesseepolicy.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Not surprising, I do believe that the elite have been and are currently positioning themselves to make a killing on this GW issue and the soon to be legislation to channel the country towards the alt energy, which they will have already comfortably positioned themselves in.

Talk about a SCAM, but the folks would rather argue and smear the candidates for the upcoming election on nonissues while their bank accounts are slowly being drained by those in cahoots with corporations.

Oil companies are allowed to receive gov't subsidies in addition to their record profits, why? -maybe to give them the capital to become the leaders in the alt energy that is to come?

Automakers, now introducing technology that has been around for decades but stifled until THEY could introduce them to the market thus maintaining their status in the world?

Banking institutions being helped out of a financial mess of their own creation.

The list isn't endless, but it is long and the haves are always protected, the have nots, still have not.

A simple example is the satellite radio merger which has been stuck in Washington for over a year. WHY? Because those in the radio business who would become extinct, want to drag this out in hopes of the total collapse of both entities so they can swoop in and take it over.

But that is another subject, sorry for the rant, it's been awhile since I got riled up about this stuff, I usually try and take care of the things I can control, and now that I have said my peace I can get back to those things

thanks for the time, nice OP GAOTU789

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Gore could care less about HIS carbon footprint!

He just wants everybody else to care about THEIR carbon footprint and buy his "carbon tax credits".

If he REALLY cared about Global Warming, he would have a Solar Farm on his property and a windmill or two!

His home would be environmentally friendly AND carbon nuetral, and not just because he has the money to pay for the "carbon taxes", but because he actually DID something to prevent adding more carbon to the atmosphere!

He's nothing but B.S.!

[edit on 6/18/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This information has been around for a while, and it's not quite as clear cut as it looks like.

Both Al and Tipper Gore work out of their home, which doubles as a business office for two full time professionals. That's certainly something.

Al Gore also pays a large premium (Something like $500 a month iirc) to get as much of his energy as possible from "green" sources like solar or wind.

Then of course there are the carbon credits - the merits of which are debatable, given the fact that he owns stock in the company.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
If you want to be accurate, they used the same amount of power as 19.333 houses do. Sure that is alot but a far cry from what they report. It is all in the wording. In one YEAR the Gore housed the same amount of power that 232 houses use in one MONTH. You can't even really compare the 2. Also take into account that we do not know which months they use for the 232 houses, for all we know they are using summer usage in Wisconsin, which is going to be much lower than winter months.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
So I Guess that means we should all kick it up a notch and just start polluting as much as we can!! Get out your hairspray and let out some CFCs! Use as much plastic as you can! Leave all the lights on and let's party down!

I am on my way to pick up the new SUV called the Boheheth now so I can get really burn the stuff up!

(Sarcasm off)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

Thanks for pointing out the trickery of words in the headline of the topic. Thank you for doing the math 232 / 12 = 19.33.

One could say that I use the same amount of energy in a year that 12 people do in a month. What is the point of multiplying it by a factor of 12? To turn 19.33 into 232 and create an illusion for the sheeple.

Sorry, I don't like Al Gore much, but I'm not buying it. He's just a rich guy who's house is 19 times bigger than the average joe.

While yes, Mr. Gore could clean up his own house/carbon footprint a bit, but the fact that he's brought the matter through his lectures & movie to attention alone has helped cause a shift in the way we view our impact on the planet.

His impact through his work out paces his personal waste, the man's not perfect - already knew that.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
If you want to be accurate, they used the same amount of power as 19.333 houses do. Sure that is alot but a far cry from what they report. It is all in the wording. In one YEAR the Gore housed the same amount of power that 232 houses use in one MONTH. You can't even really compare the 2. Also take into account that we do not know which months they use for the 232 houses, for all we know they are using summer usage in Wisconsin, which is going to be much lower than winter months.

There is no trickery in the report. You just have to carefully read the words; they are quite clear:

In the past year, Gore’s home burned through 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month.

Emphasis added.

reply to post by evanmontegarde

Originally posted by evanmontegarde
Al Gore also pays a large premium (Something like $500 a month iirc) to get as much of his energy as possible from "green" sources like solar or wind.

Yes, but making his house "green" has actually resulted in higher energy costs!

Good news: Gore’s home consumed 10% more electricity this year than last
posted at 7:38 pm on June 17, 2008 by Allahpundit
Send to a Friend | printer-friendly

Baby steps.

In the year since Al Gore took steps to make his home more energy-efficient, the former Vice President’s home energy use surged more than 10%, according to the Tennessee Center for Policy Research…

In the past year, Gore’s home burned through 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month…

After the Tennessee Center for Policy Research exposed Gore’s massive home energy use [in February 2007], the former Vice President scurried to make his home more energy-efficient. Despite adding solar panels, installing a geothermal system, replacing existing light bulbs with more efficient models, and overhauling the home’s windows and ductwork, Gore now consumes more electricity than before the “green” overhaul.

hotair.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole
Gore could care less about HIS carbon footprint!

True, and the reason is because he knows global warming is nothing but a huge scam and he profits from it.
I have no problem with anyone using the amount of power he is using but when the person is a hypocrite, then he should be scolded.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
There is no trickery in the report. You just have to carefully read the words; they are quite clear:

Emphasis added.

As usual you miss the point. They stated 232 for a month. While not embellishing, they are sensationalizing it. It is the same power that 19.333 households use PER YEAR. By using the number 232 they make the assertion that he is using enough power to run a small town. I don't expect you to get it, it is a liberal hippie thing.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

It may be clarity to most non-sheeple, but if it wasn't trickery you would not have to carefully read it, you would just simply read the facts without the author's attempt to distort them by the play with times & numbers.

While it may be an acceptable practice in marketing consumer products, I find it an attempt of fraudulent deception, or trickery in order to mislead casual readers.

Political hyperbole, masquerading as scientific fact.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Gore is a hypocrite. There is no reason why he cant put a solar and wind power set up at his house and use his own electricity. Im going to when I build my new place but its not cause of global warming. Its because I dont want to give any more money to big energy and I dont have to worry about being part of the mass power outages. People should be more self reliant and not on government backed big business. Al Gore is a chump and his words taken with a grain of salt.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
As usual you miss the point. They stated 232 for a month. While not embellishing, they are sensationalizing it. It is the same power that 19.333 households use PER YEAR. By using the number 232 they make the assertion that he is using enough power to run a small town. I don't expect you to get it, it is a liberal hippie thing.

Ah, now I see. Just because they state a fact but not in the words that liberal hippies can grasp, it's sensationalism.

Why don't you just stretch the numbers out over a century? Then it will really look like much ado about nothing.

reply to post by verylowfrequency

Originally posted by verylowfrequency

It may be clarity to most non-sheeple, but if it wasn't trickery you would not have to carefully read it, you would just simply read the facts without the author's attempt to distort them by the play with times & numbers.

While it may be an acceptable practice in marketing consumer products, I find it an attempt of fraudulent deception, or trickery in order to mislead casual readers.

Political hyperbole, masquerading as scientific fact.

I'm sorry, it seems like a very simple statement to parse. I wonder why so many are having difficulty comprehending it? Is it the big numbers?

Casual readers won't remember what they read ten minutes later. Why should the article need to be dumbed down because of their laziness?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I think I've figured out the carbon credit scam that the elites have set up. It is basically the much desired UN or global government tax. The tax credits are paid to 'approved' carbon reducing projects. Most of these are run by the UN and their cronies. Soon they will be saying that legions of blue helmet forces represent a good investment in 'carbon credits'. Then their dream of global governance will be complete.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I am sure every politician, or at least the majority of them are guilty of the same thing...the difference is...

Gore pimped himself out to the Green movement and urged us all to ride bikes to work, while he jets around and burns whatever amount of energy is stated in the article.

I don't begrudge anyone who's worked hard and can afford to have a few 20,000 square foot houses around the globe, or even the ones that inherited it, and burn the crap out of their share of "energy." If you're going to do it, do it, but don't fly around being a hypocrite about it and ask "the little people" to ride a friggin bike to work, what a joke

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
See www.snopes.com... for the scoop on this one.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
There is a reason Gore did not win the 2000 pres election, and it has nothing to do with Bush or the Supreme Court...if the man is/was the savior he would have us believe (creator of the internet, GW messiah) he would have won hands down!

At the end of the day, he's a businessman, that has been shown time and time again to place HIS best interests at the forfront...

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
LateApexer313 made my point for me.

My whole problem with Gore is that it would be possible to make his own home "carbon neutral". He is the GW prophet after all. Don't talk the talk if you aren't willing to walk the walk.

He is a hypocrite, plain and simple. Don't tell me I have to change my lifestyle( and for the record, I would consider myself a earth friendly person) when you aren't willing to change your own.

As far as Gore bringing this to the forefront. BS. All he's done is divide people further. The Kyoto Protocols and the IPCC did more to bring this issue to the people. All Gore's movie did was to scare people.Now, instead of agreeing to try and find viable solutions to the damage we are doing to our global ecosystems, we are fighting over whether what's happening is man made, solar made, alien made, etc... .

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Gore, and a lot of other of the rich and shameless out there, just want you to do as they say, but not as they do.

I wonder how hard he's pushing the "Cap and Tax" program? Buy carbon credits for an offset, and buy them from his company!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join