It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wicca - How to get started?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I've looked into Wicca a bit but have never really tried anything. All the books and websites seem so strict with the time of day and items need for spells. I would really love some more info on this.

BTW, what do Wiccas believe about reincarnation, the afterlife, "hell"?

The "Christian" way just doesn't seem to do it for me.

How do you practice alone? Equiring minds want to know!

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Most Wiccans believe in reincarnation of some sort or other. Some believe that between death and rebirth, the soul undergoes a kind of transformation to prepare it for its new life. That it chooses its next life with regards to obtaining a new level of understanding.

Some believe that the soul becomes a kind of 'guardian angel' looking over the family it was a member of before death. Yet others believe in the 'Summerland' a kind of pagan heaven, where souls reside between physical incarnations.

There isn't really any way to know what happens after death and most Wiccans are honest enough to say that their beliefs are just that - beliefs.

'Wicca' and 'Witchcraft' are not interchangeable words for the same thing. Wicca is the religion, Witchcraft is the craft or art (similar to painting or singing). There are Witches who are not Wiccans, and Wiccans who never perform Witchcraft.

For more info, you could try these links.

www.witchvox.com...

www.branwenscauldron.com...

www.geocities.com...

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by Pisky because he couldn't get the fecking C&P working ]

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Also if you happen to be near a good bookstore look up some books by Silver Ravenwolf or Scot Cunningham, both are excelent authors on Wicca and Witchcraft. Also dont allow sites or even books to try to put it in a strict frame for you, because there are many who take a sort of elastic approach and blend various traditions and such into their own practice. I have a friend who started out with the normal wiccan practacies and incorporated some elements of egyption origins, makes for a very interesting arrangement.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
www.religioustolerance.org...

Check this out.

Peace,
BG

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
For anyone who is starting out I highly recommend 'Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft'. I have it myself and it is very informative. It is even written and put together like an Educational Workbook. Each chapter represents lessons in order of how you should go about learning. Starting with the History and Religious aspects, then on to lifestyle, Magick, etc. It's available at most any book store so you should be able to check it out a little before you buy it. Here are some links about it with reviews.

www.earth-religions.com...

www.amazon.com...

www.reference-1.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This site looks very good. I don't know much about it, but it seems to have quite a lot of info in it.

Wicca: For the rest of us

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Thanks for all the websites! They were very informative! A few questions:

Are any of you who replied Wiccans?

How you be a Wicca and not do spells? (saw that on one of the sites)

If I practice Wicca, can I still get Christmas presents?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady Lily
Thanks for all the websites! They were very informative! A few questions:

Are any of you who replied Wiccans?

I am a Shamanic Wiccan and would be happy to help you. Feel free to use the U2Us to contact me

How you be a Wicca and not do spells? (saw that on one of the sites)

Wicca is a pagan religion based on natural (nature) worship. Witchcraft is the art of magic. Many Wiccans practice witchcraft, many do not. Most Wiccans at one point in thier life will practice magic. I always said I would not. I was wrong. I have a few times, so far with only one failure.

If I practice Wicca, can I still get Christmas presents?

This depends. Most Wiccans do not celebrate christmas as it is a Kristjan holiday. Yule is the holiday Wiccan celebrate at the winter solstice (Dec 20th or 21st depending who you ask). Now, in many cases, Wiccans are in families where they are the only one that practices Wicca. In those cases, they may "celebrate" xmas with families as a formality, and then they most likely trade gifts. Most Wiccans that do this however, give gifts of natural origin, such as homemade wreaths made from pine boughs and pine cones, or other natural origin gifts that are hand made. I often give gifts such as hand made xmas tree ornaments made from wood or metal.

Again, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me through U2U and I will help in any way.

I have seen Cunningham and Silver Ravenwolf recommended, and I too recommend them even though they are on the "fluffy" side of the religion.

Look up: Viviane Crowley, Doreen Valiente, Margot Alder

and specific books

Scott Cunningham: Guide to a solitary practioner
Raymond Buckland: Complete Book Of Witchcraft
Ronald Hutton: Triumph Of The Moon
Ann Moura Green Witchcraft III: The Manual
Dianne Sylvan: The Circle Within
Phyllis Curott: Book of Shadows
Silver Ravenwolf: To Ride A Silver Broomstick
Janet & Stuart Farrar: A Witches Bible

Blessed Be

join