It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Ok, here are 10 that I think would be GREAT topics to be explored by our Fighters...

Debate Topics

1. A Nuclear War is inevitable given the current political tensions

2. A Multiple Party System is Preferable to a Two Party System

3. If We were really visited by Aliens, They would see how Dangerous We are and just go Home

4. A Generational Ship is a Practical Form of Space Travel

5. Whatever is going to be built where the World Trade Towers were, Should have already been constructed

6. You Can Not Support the Troops and Not Support The War

7. Psychic Detectives Should Be Used in Every Major Crime Where Possible

8. OJ is really Innocent

9. The Bermuda Triangle is a Great Vacation Spot

10. Bigfoot is a Big Lie

Semper

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm looking for a fight, who's game? Been a long time since I been in an online structured debate, but lets see what I got left it me.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Actually, if you guys would like to start posting topic suggestions, please feel free...We could use all the suggestions we can get...though I already have a list of topics....

And remember, that noone will get a topic that they have suggested....

So, now would be the proper time to strategically post preemptive 'suggestions' of topics one doesn't want to have to argue? Hmm...

Just kidding! Any topic, any time... (well, when I'm not too busy)

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Flight 77

NOT!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
So how does this work, will I get a confirmation u2u telling me I have been placed in a debate? I havent done this in awhile so let me know how to get things rolling.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Hey, great debate going on here:

Challenge Match: AshleyD vs whatukno: Was Jesus God?

Question though: how did AshleyD manage to fit over 15,000 characters into her first response? I thought the limit was 10,000 characters. Is there some trick I'm missing?

Edit: correcting URL

[edit on 13-8-2008 by Ian McLean]

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
What exactly is this rule stating:

There will then be one closing statement each and no rebuttal.

Does it mean we are not allowed to include rebuttals in our closing statements? Obviously we are not allowed to submit any rebuttals to the closing statement because the closing statements are supposed to be our last replies. However, we can still offer rebuttals to our opponent's previous post in our closing statement, correct?

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Correct. The stipulation is primarily to state that there will be a total of 5 rounds, 1 Opening/3 Rebuttals/1 Closing.

That is all.

posted on Aug, 14 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Awesome thanks.

Back to work!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Yea wait a minute? How the heck did that happen!?!

I want 15,000 characters too

Challenge Match: AshleyD vs whatukno: Was Jesus God?

No fair having God warp the board so you can fit in MORE than 15,545 characters (without BB code) into your post there AshleyD

But to be clear, AshleyD is not breaking any rule here... Or is she?

Character limits are no longer in effect. You may use as many characters as a single post allows.

[edit on 8/15/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I also have no idea how she managed that...

But it is NOT against the rules....

You are correct in your quote...

Character limits are no longer in effect. You may use as many characters as a single post allows.

Just between you and me, if God fixed that for Her, you are in deep "do do"...

Carry on

Semper

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
LOL! I have God on my side and He hacked ATS for me! Actually, it has a very mundane explanation. I already U2U'd Wukky so he now knows but to satisfy everyone's curiosity, this is what happened:

While writing my opening post, although I had intended to save it to MS Word as well, I hadn't yet and ended up losing it. I was pretty peeved at myself. So I decided to work out ALL of my posts on MS Word and not simply save them after the fact.

When you paste your post from another program whether it be Word, notepad, or something else, it works.

Mystery solved and it is purely un-supernatural.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
She's right.

A copy/paste can sometimes get past the 10000 character default.

Carry on...

Shhhhh....

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Quick question: How do you guys figure out the character counts? I tried everything but could never figure out how to count them so I submitted everything as is. Is there a certain function in Word that tells you how many characters your document is? All I see is file size but that doesn't say much. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

An absolute MUST for all serious debaters..

Text Tally

Enjoy

Semper

[edit on 8/15/2008 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
All guys, we have a tournament coming up!

Let's get ready to drink and talk some smack!

I'll have a Mimosa please!

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Well, I use gedit (a little notepad program that comes with linux), and it has a sweet little dialog box under 'Document / Statistics...' that shows word count and character count (with and without spaces). Dunno about MSWord; sorry.

Favorite trick to reduce character count: I tend to double-space between sentences, but ATS automatically filters out double-spaces. So, search and replace " " (two spaces) with " " (one space).

posted on Aug, 17 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I'd like to throw out a challenge - albeit it a very specific one.

The new football (soccer) season has just started and I'd like to debate someone on a football topic, whether that be the offside rule, new UEFA proposals, the respect campaign, different systems (i.e. 442 vs 531 etc), zonal marking vs man to man or whatever, I'd like to get one going.

I'm sure there are UK or european members who would be up for this.

Let me know

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I know this seems like a stupid question, but where does the tourney thread exist? Is it still the sign up thread? I have been off site for a week and some, and it feels like I missed something. 'Shock is u2u'ing me, but me thinks he might be busy, and I don't want to bug...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Something may have come up..

I am sure MemoryShock will get it up and running soon..

Patience is the word for the day...

Semper

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join