It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignores and "My ATS"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I have a question.

When I have someone on ignore, why can I still see that they have posted in "MY ATS Top 50 Subscriptions"?

Personally, I'd like to forget that these people even exist.

As such, I'm compelled to see what the person has said. So, what's the point of ignore if you can still see that that poster is posting on threads that you are posting on?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
well you cannot see their posts when you in the thread. I assume that this is just due to the fact that yes these people on your ignore list have made a post. But when you actually click on the last post button besides the name you still won't see the offending user's entry.

I can agree with you that if I put someone on ignore then it's my wish to act as if this person does not exist. However the fact remeins that they do exist and make posts. Fortunatly while in the thread you can still not see the posts they make.

Hope this helps, unless you ignored me then you won't know

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Hope this helps, unless you ignored me then you won't know

Why would I ignore you?

I agree. It just peeks my curiousity at seeing that a poster whom I've ignored posts something right after me, I'm inclined to un-ignore them just to see what they said. Therefore negating the ignore feature. Maybe it's just my curiousity that kills the cat?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I just wish I could ignore more than 10 people...

For a long time I couldn't figure out why I would put people on ignore then still be able to see their posts. Turns out I hadn't been noticing the little message saying 'you can only ignore 10 people'.... lol

Deny ignorance! Thats right, deny the ignorant from speaking to me

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I would like to see the ignore list with a maximum of 20, I have to keep rotating my list and letting members off for good behaviour or if they no longer post.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Maybe they can consider offering an increase in 'ignores' if you 'spend' some of your points to do it.

Or has that already been discussed?

Hello...,

Is anyone here? Am I being ignored???

(just kidding)

Edited hours later..... *sniff sniff* I guess I am being ignored
)

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Griff

i gave up on using the ignore system------used to have it full but apparently i have become hardend to the criticism and rudeness of some members while others appear to have mellowed? over time if they weren't banned first.

for whatever reason the ats computor i nicknamed skynet has a mind of its own.

even with my ignores empty there are some members that are invisible to me just like they were on my ignore----for example Sun Matrix

i can only see what others quote from him----but not his posts directly.

and skynet has foed and friended all kinds of members for me all by itself with no input from me------i assume it is looking after my best interests?as a silent friend----i hope.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I have never once used the Ignore function. It seems redundant. I can just skip over any post that I don't want to read.

To me, using ignore is an admission that someone has gotten into your head. Or maybe you flamed someone, and are afraid to view their response to you? I honestly don't understand it's attraction.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I honestly don't understand it's attraction.

I have only used it in dire need.

That's my point though. Why can I even see that they posted?

Can I ask: You've never just thrown up your hands and said "enough, this stops now"?

I usually end up taking those I have ignored off ignore after a day or two.

Plus, I use it as a way to not get myself warned. If someone is pissing me off and I don't feel like stepping away for a while, Ignore is very valuable in detering me getting a warn.

[edit on 6/3/2008 by Griff]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

I honestly don't understand it's attraction.

I have only used it in dire need.

That's my point though. Why can I even see that they posted?

Can I ask: You've never just thrown up your hands and said "enough, this stops now"?

I usually end up taking those I have ignored off ignore after a day or two.

Plus, I use it as a way to not get myself warned. If someone is pissing me off and I don't feel like stepping away for a while, Ignore is very valuable in detering me getting a warn.

[edit on 6/3/2008 by Griff]

I use it for exactly the same reason.

I think it would be entertaining to see who has you on their ignore list. We can see who has friended us and foed us, why not see who ignored us?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Add to that wish list the capability of seeing who issued a star to a post.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I can't be insulted enough to put anyone on ignore. I expect my positions to be questioned and if someone wants flame me; so be it. It's only the web, pixels and electrons in cyberspace. In the grand scheme of things; just another form of entertainment that affects us about as much as an episode of "Dancing with the Stars"

I even enjoy the verbal sparing and sarcasm from creative minds of even those that I may disagree with. It's fun...

[edit on 3-6-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Add to that wish list the capability of seeing who issued a star to a post.

I like that idea. Maybe also who flagged your thread?

I guess it's up to the admin what they want to do. BTW, whom I think do an excellent job here.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I put someone on my ignore list because he's an idiot. A few days ago I was on BTS and it hit me how nice BTS was to me lately, and then I remembered I put him on ignore. It's great. I love the ignore button.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I never use the ignore feature. I consider it disrespectful to ignore someone in real life, so I don't do it online either. Also, I think it is a sign of weakness if you can't take what someone else has to say in the course of a normal argument. But, if someone's sole purpose for posting is to harass certain members then I can see the use of it. Maybe having the option of a irreversible permanent ignore as well as 10 temporary ignores?

I'd also like to see who flagged and starred posts. While on the topic, what about being able to give a -1 flag or -1 star for BS posts?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
i no longer use the ignore feature either------it doesn't prevent members comments from being seen on your members profile pages and for whatever reason some members that want to let you have it-----do not hold back when they visit me there------i guess they feel safe when they think that the ats staff might not check in there?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Originally posted by TheComte

I'd also like to see who flagged and starred posts. While on the topic, what about being able to give a -1 flag or -1 star for BS posts?

There used to be a function like that on ATS. It was sort of an "Agree" or "Disagree" choice for each post. Or maybe it was "Yes" or "No"; I can't recall.

The "Disagree" choice was removed. When we asked why, the reason given by the staff was, "Well you really haven't lost any choice. If you don't agree, don't vote".

If I were able to visit every thread I ever posted in, I could find the exact reasons. But that function, too, is now gone forever.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I thought ATS slogan was deny ignorance?
hehe.. why does anyone need to ignore anyone? does it really get so bad here?

I agree there should be a 'disagree' star to go with the agree star.. or some kind of de-flagging vote... otherwise its a bit one sided and unfair.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

That's incorrect...

The true reason we had to eliminate the "disagree" button was we had "gangs" stalking certain people's posts and "disagreeing" them no matter what the actual content was. Additionally, it was the U.S. election season and the Libs were whacking the Cons posts and vice versa, it was ridiculous, childish and a HUGE headache for the staff...

Springer...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Well, that's the reason we were given when we asked. But what you say is the truth - there were "gangs" who would trash a post or member. When I look at some of the threads/posts that have been flagged/starred under the current system, I wonder if the same gangs are still active.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join