It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom forced to live in car with dogs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

Why do you worry about this one woman, when this is happening en masse in California? Evidently, one of her children is 19 and living with people now as well. Not sure why that particular family isn't able/willing to help her, but what concerns me is the large number of people this is happening to and what it means for the security of the rest of society.

Teddy Roosevelt learned this early on. The rich must make sure that the number of the poor don't get too high or else there will be revolution, it's that simple.

Almost everyone who replies to this thread is focusing on this one woman, and the fact that it's her fault. Maybe this is the reason we are in this situation; because obviously we Americans are incapable of looking at the bigger picture and the effect this is having on crime.

[edit on 20-5-2008 by Quazga]

Mod Edit: Full post quote removed. Reply To function used - Jak

[edit on 21/5/08 by JAK]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
To All those who thinks it is someone’s fault.

You are being so judgmental!!!!! How do you know their circumstances? Truly, she may have been fine maybe she lost her husband and his share of income! Maybe she got ill. Come-on people stop judging. You have never, ever walked in her shoes! You do not know her circumstances.

So it was a million dollar home. How do you know that is what she paid for it. It’s truly not her fault if her home went up that much. It could of cost her $100,000 when she bought it. Who knows. The point is our own government has inflated our housing market and oil market and food market. They are making it almost impossible to live.

If it hasn’t effected you yet, don’t worry it will!

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

May I ask what YOU are doing to help your fellow citizens?
Are you taking in any of these down trodden people into your home? Are you volunteering in your free time to feed, clothe, etc these people?

Until you step in and help, please stop begging the GOVERNMENT to INTRUDE INTO OUR LIVES EVEN MORE! I dont want the government coming into my life and telling me where to live and how to spend the money they give me. That is exactly what will happen!

As for the story of the lady.
Im not sure how I feel. We obviously dont hear the whole story. We hear the parts written to pull on the heartstrings of others. What is being left out?

She is living in a SUPER expensive area and has FAMILY that can help.

Blimbseeker is NOT a troll. In fact, he outlines very LOGICAL ways of getting yourself together and taking care of yourself.

[edit on 20-5-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I can't believe how shallow some of the posting on here are
You should be ashamed of yourself, but, probably the reason so many are in this situation. Great attitude, " I have mine, too bad you don't have yours" The let them eat cake kind of attitude is so offensive.
Thing is any one could find themselves in the same situations. Think about it

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Oh I am not just worried about this one woman. I am worried about all of them I see on a daily basis. I help someone out every time I go out. Cause where I am at they are sleeping on the street. About 50 people per block. Im not lying or exaggerating. There is hundreds here. Its sad. It's hard to see this.

Mod Edit: Compound quote removed. Reply To function used - Jak

[edit on 21/5/08 by JAK]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Uhmmm... I'm not beggin the gov to intrude in our lives.

I'm beseeching the public to understand this is bigger than one woman and whose fault it might be.

As for what I do, I give generously. I work my butt off so I don't really have time, but money is something I do have, and I give that to charitable causes that I find worthy.

Keep in mind, I could really care less what happens to these people or who is at fault. But I know what the effect of a rise in homlessness has on a nieghborhood and the crime rate there.

Thats what I'm concerend about. And all I hear people talking about is compassion on one side, and callousness on the other, but they are both blind as to the bigger picture.

Mod Edit: Full post quote removed. Reply To function used - Jak

[edit on 21/5/08 by JAK]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Keep in mind, I could really care less what happens to these people or who is at fault. But I know what the effect of a rise in homlessness has on a nieghborhood and the crime rate there.

Thats what I'm concerend about. And all I hear people talking about is compassion on one side, and callousness on the other, but they are both blind as to the bigger picture.

Well that is sad that you care less what happens to these people. This is indeed sad that most people just don't care anymore.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by blimpseeker
This is where Ophra's fat billions can help and she can put her money where her big mouth is.
One measly milion donated from Ophra could help these people back on their feet fast. and the big O wouldn't even feel it.

No my friend, Oprah makes those fat millions lecturing everyone else to pay for the social nets while she gets to write off her own taxes using her own highly publicizing, ego inflating, self-advertising charities.

And as for this homeless lady. She can easily drive 25 miles southeast on the 101 freeway and find a job and a place to live in the much cheaper Ventura area. There are a load of illegals working in that area that are able to find a place to live, why can't she do it?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
I think for an 18 yo you have a lot to learn. The issue here isn't "who's fault is it" The issue is "how many people is this happening to?".

Well, "beseech" all you want, but we only have one story in the news about a women living in a car with her dogs. Yes, the housing problem has hit some people harder tha others, but to extend this one story and try to get us all to assume that there are a huge number of women living in cars with their dogs is quite a reach and also quite false.

I invest in mutual funds for retirement, and as a matter of fact, the real estate funds have turned around this year and are now showing positive numbers - up 10% YTD - while other funds continue lag behind. Many see this as a sign that the worst of the housing slump is over and the market is starting to rebound. New housing starts are also up for the first time in months.

So, while this woman's predicament is sad, it is also a statement on the choices she made, and also what's with her family that they can't help out their own mother?

[edit on 5/20/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Well, "beseech" all you want, but we only have one story in the news about a women living in a car with her dogs.

Actually we have a story about hundreds of women living in these cars.

Did you even read the article?

Probably not

But anyway, let's look at the choices made by these people who find themselves in this predicament.

Most of them live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford a job loss. Is that such a bad thing?

At first glance, we might say "yes it is a bad thing"

But if we look closer, we will find that the entire food supply of the globe only has enough in inventory to maintain itself for 12 days.

So the macro is a mirror image of the micro, and vice versa

So when our food supply is damaged, and we can't eat, will you then say its fine because of the choices that were made?

[SNIP]

Mod Edit: Compound quote trimmed. Reply To function used Insulting comment also removed. Please see Terms and Conditions of Use section 2) Behaviour. Thank you- Jak

[edit on 21/5/08 by JAK]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wutone

And as for this homeless lady. She can easily drive 25 miles southeast on the 101 freeway and find a job and a place to live in the much cheaper Ventura area. There are a load of illegals working in that area that are able to find a place to live, why can't she do it?

Most of the time, the lots are transition points. New Beginnings works with each person to try to find a more permanent housing solution.

because of that. She is in at least a locked gated parking lot where someone is trying to help them find housing. But, people shes not young no more. She's not a hyper 18 or 20 or 30 or 40 year old. She is 67 more than likely has a lot of health problems. Its not as easy for the elderly to get around like it is for the younger ones.

Does any one have a heart anymore? Cause what I am reading on here its very, very few.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Every time theres a Republican in office we start to hear during an election year how bad and how many millions and billions of homeless and destitute are in our country. Just as soon as a Democrat is elected, miraculously no more is heard on the subject.Its an election issue only. NOT ONE DOLLAR MORE IS SPENT OR APPROPRIATED BY EITHER PARTY! Self sufficiancy is mandatory and planning for it should always be in the forefront of your finances. Theres always going to be those that are less than solvent in any boom or bust. You must adapt,not everyone else. This lady, if she has no other choice needs to find a place or town she can survive in. Its her responsibility no one elses.

Zindo

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Ah, the quick resort to name-calling (T&C violation) when someone legitimately disagrees , or offers a different viewpoint.

I read the article, but have been around long enough (and lived in "homeless heaven" - SF) long enough to know that these situations are not new. They are also not some sign of impending doom, as you would seem to suggest. This woman and a lot of the others made choices to live paycheck to paycheck in high cost areas because they were naive or thought that a white-hot housing market could be sustained indefinately. They wer wrong, and now are paying a price for their, as it turned out, unwise decisions.

In this case, and I suspect many others, I doubt we know the whole story. Again, where is her family to help keep her off the streets?

As for your rant about how this somehow relates to food supplies - simply another reach in an attempt to play connect the dots for unrelated issues (to generate a "sky is falling" scenario?). As long as there have been large cities supported by farmers in the countryside, there has been a huge food risk for the city dwellers. If the transportation/distribution system ever breaks down then really anyone without access to land to grow their own food would be faced with starvation. To go along with all the so-called ammenities of city living, that has always been one of the (hidden) risks.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Just a question for any Americans here don't you have a State or Federal Pension Scheme. Here in New Zealand the government pays the pension to everybody over 65. Some facts below...
I must be living in a very lucky country.

If you live here continuously for at least ten years, five of them after the age of 50, you get state superannuation at the age of 65. This is currently worth $249 per week after tax if you're single or $383 per week after tax for married couples.

New Zealand Superannuation is maintained between 65% and 72.5% of average full-time net earnings.

Also you can get extra supplements like "Accommodation payments, Working for families payments..."

[edit on 20-5-2008 by greenfruit]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Reality check.

She's lucky to find any job at her age and in the situation she faces. Once situational depression becomes an issue, things will get worse for her.

Helping the homeless and destitute was the original intent of FICA. Of course our forward thinking politicians wrote later laws amending that and making FICA permanent.

So then we instituted Social Security. Of course, forward thinking politicians borrowed from that even though it was set aside for those who paid into it. It wasn't supposed to be a general fund fund. Only politicians found it a nice green pasture for further dipping.

Some of these people will never get off the streets no matter how hard or how long they work. And it wouldn't matter where they live.

The sad fact is: The longer a person is on the streets, the more the situation becomes hopeless. They health deteriorates, their mental faculties are diminishing, and they lose hope.

Where we seem to have all these wonderful solutions to their problems, we forget they understood, and perhaps professed the same solutions were available BEFORE this tragedy happened to them.

Then......

It became a different story.

[/rantoff]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

The U.S. has "social security" and private pensions. The woman is supposed to be 67, right? So, like I said, it's doubtful that we know the whole story about her and why she has chosen to give up and live like that instead of doing what she can to succeed.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

But I wonder why the people who have money do no such thing. They just get richer and richer and the poor get poorer and poorer.

She had a $1m apartment, she was hardly poor, due to her complacency with money I think she must have either had a huge ego or feel into the trap of keeping up with the jones, ultimately this was her is downfall, I feel sorry for the dogs, but no doubt she used to walk around look at the homeless people around her and thought the worst of them.

Karma's a bitch, maybe the odd happy meal here or there to the less fortunate would have saved her.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

You are living in a lucky country! Here in America, government accounting is similar to

1 for the government, one for you,
2 for the government, one for you,
5 for the government, one for you,
7 for the government, one for you....

Where the rights of the citizens have always been a war between the government and the citizen, America has taken it to new heights.....it is now a war of how much the government owns, that they allow you to be caretaker of......

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I've always felt everybody in society should help each other. My wife and I have a number of rental properties. Currently we run a scheme for tenants that are low income where by we subsidise them $50.00 a week (Below the median rent for the area). Also we are one of the few landlords in our city that will deal with the probation service helping people fresh out of jail.

Its not much. Here in NZ many of the people homeless are quite often people with mental health issues, Dysfunctional home lives etc.

Never be judgemental. You can help by giving some time to volunteer organisations, Help at food banks, Donate $5.00 to homeless org etc...

I really do believe everybody can help at some level

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
once i knew what i was to become
but i am becoming something i didnt expect
i dont respect the receptacle i throw my trash into
i could win through staunch gauntlet nonsense
i want to win the losers illusory fusion movement
please make me real in the realest sense pensive
take my strings and play the puppet brother
i am a sister listless resistance missive
please give me a little time to become the sun