It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN: Foreign agents behind spate of Afghan killings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   

UN: Foreign agents behind spate of Afghan killings

www.washingtonpost.com

A U.N. rights official alleged Thursday that foreign intelligence agents were acting with impunity in Afghanistan and have taken part in secret raids that have killed civilians.

U.N. envoy Philip Alston said he was aware of at least three such recent raids in the country's south and east. He said no one was taking responsibility for the killings.

He did not name a particular country, but mentioned one raid in January that allegedly killed two Afghan brothers that was conducted by Afghans and personnel from a U.S. special forces base in Kandahar.

He said Afghan government officials have said the victims had no connection to Taliban insurgents.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reliefweb.int

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
For transcipt of the full news conference please see the additional news link.

This is no surprise to me, and though silenced nontheless breaking. These two links are the only one Google comes up with.

Breaking, because the capacity of Professor Philip Alston, United Nations Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, reporting it makes it now as official as can be. Despite that, NO major news outlet --except a lib one like WP-- have (yet) found it worth reporting.

We have heard about death squads in about every war America has been involved, but it has always been by proxy of local melitias or undercover agents. That official intel forces now operates makes it in double sense breaking. Identification of nationality of the services involved has not been made, but it doesn't take much guessing as to who(m) it/they might be.

As many as 200 civilians have been killed in the first four months of this year, often in joint operations with Afghan security forces.

Statements of Philip Alston at the press conference:

I have spoken with a large number of people in relation to the operation of foreign intelligence units. I don't want to name them, but I can say they are at the most senior levels of most of the relevant places. It is clear that there are certain units operating in certain provinces; the names are well known to those involved, and these forces operate with what appears to be impunity.

-----

Lastly, my report looks at killings by the Taliban and other anti-government elements. The estimate is that in the past four months alone, over 300 people – civilians -- have been killed. To the extent that those targeted are legitimate military targets, the Taliban is not violating international law. The disaster, however, is that a huge proportion, probably 95 per cent, probably more, of those killed are innocent Afghan civilians.

i.e. the 200 killed by joint security/intelligence forces are illegal killings.

My guess is that these extrajudicial killings have nothing to do with fighting Taliban (admitted by Afghan authorities) but with the "War on Drugs," has to do with controling the market.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
So these extrajudicial killings are targeting "suspected terrorists" and instead bagging innocent civilians or what?

It is scary to the think the spooks are actually operating on the ground in Afghanistan and Iraq and who knows what other kinds of operations their running over there and what else their being used for...
Eg: Propaganda, psychological warfare, black ops, torture. That's kind of what comes to mind when you think of the CIA in a foreign country. I don't recall them being used as Aid Workers.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
So these extrajudicial killings are targeting "suspected terrorists" and instead bagging innocent civilians or what?

That's excactly the case they're NOT. See snippet.

He said Afghan government officials have said the victims had no connection to Taliban insurgents.

To me it only leaves one possibility as for reason.

The drug trade. Control of the supply lines.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

Ahh I see.
Although if you look at the Company's recent history in Afghanistan it's nothing new.

The 2006, Damadola airstrike was an attack on a "suspected" Al-Qaeda compound housing supposed top-level insurgents.
They turned out to be 18 women and kids:
www.telegraph.co.uk...

The Chenagai airstrike also in 2006, targeted an Islamic claimed which was again allegedly an Al-Qaeda "training camp". Over 80 were killed, many children who were resuming school there after holidays:
news.bbc.co.uk...

To be honest the Central Intelligence Agency seems to be a contradiction in terms today as they never have a clue who their targeting anymore or for what purpose.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Star and flag Khunmoon.

This is the kind of thing they don't want us to know.

When the hell are these clowns going to realise we are living in the infoirmation age, and that cover ups are no longer a viable option if they want to retain any semblance of the credibility they may once have had.

Death squads are an abomination - but things will never change while the "average joe" believes the bullplop propaganda and lies promulgated by those "in charge"

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Thanks Budski,

Yeah, I'm still waiting for it to show up in breaking on BBC, CNN, etc. Nothing, and I'm afraid there won't be even a tiny headline. Yahoo have the AP telegram; 4 lines stating who, when and where about the press conference. That's all.

My personal theory --as I've already said-- is it's about drugs, opium.

The last two years have been bumper crops, 35% over the demand. The funny thing in this is that prices don't fall and the number of junkies doesn't climb. Contrary to any logic of market. It's a kind of mystery that not even UN can solve or explain.

Now, I've read a thread here on ATS (must be, I don't go anywhere else) about how CIA is planning to bring Russia down with heroin by over flowing their domestic market, simply dumbing it to get the players, Russian mafia, to close their busines and take over control and expand that market in an effort to get a 'natural' collapse of the state.

That would explain the surplus production, and that it doesn't affect the market. They are simply building an ernormous stash reserve to set in there.

It even might be a worldwide plan in the population control game, I don't know, only speculating. But those thousand of tonnes of overproduction have to go somewhere.

I can imagine there are some unrest over that plan among some of the domestic players in Afghanistan. That would be a reason for a killing spray.

Control by terror. Who are better to that than CIA?

new topics

top topics

join