It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette prices expected to double this upcoming week? What would cause this?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I heard from a co-worker that starting this upcoming Monday, cigarette prices will nearly double. A pack of Marlboro's going to jump from about $4 to near $8, he says. I couldn't find anything on it when I searched the net, so I was wondering if anyone here knows anything regarding this sudden increase in cigarette prices.

[edit on 3-5-2008 by Impreza]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Well, just to give an update on this...

I saw the same guy that gave me this news yesterday and I asked him how he knew about cigarette prices going up. He said that a close friend of his owns a gas station and that he got a phone call from his supplier who mentioned cigarette prices will nearly double, starting on Monday.

I don't know why I'm pursuing this, I don't even smoke.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Dont feel to bad , here in ireland Cigs are taxed to high heaven
a 20 pack of any Cig brand will cost you 7.45euro thats 11dollars

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Same here over in England. Cig prices approx 11 dollars. I was in london the other day and cig prices there equate to about 13 dollars.

Old news to us though because we been getting ripped off for years now.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I blame India and their new improved lifestyle. If that doesn't work, then I blame biofuels.

I kid. This is honestly the first I have heard of it. To be honest, I am skeptical.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
OP dosen't say where he /she is located. Could be a local tax increase. Could be a friend who repeats rumours.

Americans smoke cigs like they eat cheeseburgers. If the price of the BIG MAC was being doubled the news would leak to the Office of Homeland Security and emergency measures would be taken by Congress.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Roll yer own.

The Buck Stops Here.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

I am curious why more people don't grow their own. If I was addicted to something that was costing me $5.00/day and it was legal to grow my own, I would be growing it. Not to mention, then you wouldn't be getting the lovely additives that the tobacco companies put in it.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColdWater
OP dosen't say where he /she is located. Could be a local tax increase. Could be a friend who repeats rumours.

I live in Lansing, MI. The person who gave me this news is not the type to go around repeating rumours, but I don't know if his friend is of the type. I can't really see any reason for any one of them to be lying about something like this.

[edit on 4-5-2008 by Impreza]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Why don't 'YOU' the stupid smoker, not give 'THEM' any more of your hard earned cash (this alone should make you see sense) and stop abusing 'YOUR' body and those around you!

Just take control of the one thing you can in this world, YOUR body

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mlmijyd

Spoken like a true ATS'er!

I know its hard to quit, and heck, maybe you don't even want to do it, but I agree, and I mean this for everyone, you should think about it. I think I knew more people who smoked 10 years ago as compared to now. Nowadays, If you smoke, you're the weird one. Maybe thats what they're looking for.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Actually I have noticed Walgreens start to put out sales on the packs. ( I work there so kind of in the loop) a few packs used to be around 4.00 a bit, has dropped by a few cents to 3.26 for one brand of them. (Can't remember which, after so many people who can remember).

And if it's malboro's I can check for your monday since I work then, but I really don't think the price is going to jump. From 4 to 8? We are already doing a special of 2/9.(Something) I don't think walgreens wants to lose that

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Here in Ontario, there are some tobacco farmers that are getting out of the business. They say it's a dying industry. They want the government pay them to switch to other crops, but so far no go.
www.cbc.ca...
Supply of tobacco is steadily declining, at least in Canada. Maybe that has something to do with it.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mlmijyd

i am controling my body i know the risks of smoking and yet i keep smoking why? because i enjoy it . i dont care if it kills me. hell i hope it does at least that way i know the death was one by my choice. and as far as it affects everyone else i live in new york we cant smoke in stores, resteraunts, bars, clubs, offices, doorways, so considering you non smokers have everywhere else and all i get is my home and on the street i think your getting a preety good deal. and if my second hand smoke kills some one GOOD! you shouldent have been so close to me. i mean seriusly now if your a smoker your treated like a second class citizen. yet people can drink and pop pills all day long and be considered a normal joe, so i guess poisoning your self isent the problem its the fact we choose smoking to do so.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
You know honestly, I am glad. I hope they make cigarettes so expensive no one can afford them.

People who smoke are idiots. Yes plain and simple.

Why not take a bullet to your brain...or do you prefer to kill yourself over a long period of time?

No other product has killed more people. No other product has as many entities trying to warn you not to use it...showing and proving to you how bad it is for you... but you smokers just keep on going. I have no respect for someone who has no respect for their own health.

Perhaps if we had no more smokers the burden on our health system which the MAJORITY is from smoking related problems would be reduced to such an extent that more people would be able to afford health insurance.

I think if you smoke you should be immediately denied any type of health insurance. Thats like seat belts for crash test dummies.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Smoking a cigarette is a simple pleasure that allows you to look forward to.

Its also a means of escape while at work.

link   
The tobacco crop is finished pretty much worldwide. Advertising on racing cars here in the USA was anned in the early 90s. The US media began "pixelating" out the advertising on international racing venues and the largest US supplier, RJR Nabisco, started decreasing its buying prices on the commodities market.

Combined with the high demand for corn and biofuel crops, and the skyrocketting cost of fuel oil for transportation of tobacco products, you've got a doomed industry. If you're really concerned about the supply, grow your own for personnal use as it will remain legal so long as it doesn't "greatly" offend society.

I would not be surprised at the doubling in price with all these factors growing exponentially worldwide. I think the only venue of low prices for smokers is the cigar industry, but don't quote me on that.

link   

Originally posted by mlmijyd
Why don't 'YOU' the stupid smoker, not give 'THEM' any more of your hard earned cash (this alone should make you see sense) and stop abusing 'YOUR' body and those around you!

Quoting someone who knows nothing of addictions.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
so let me get this straight. its ok to pop perscriptions like pez, drink large amounts of alcahol, and many who do these two things then drive after doing so endangering everyone who isent protected by a building. but because i smoke a cig im the idiot? what about all the people who have unprotected sex with people they dont know. they spread virulent disease and cause unwanted pregnancys yet once again because i smoke im a idiot who dosent deserve health care? well by that very logic "putting your self at unnessacary risk means you shouldent recieve health care" then every war vet, every police man, every coal miner, every drinker, every person who has unprotected sex, every nurse and doctor, every piolit all should be denied health care because they put them selves at risk. do you see how retarded your argument is when you break it down?

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Here in NY State the price is due to jump by $1.50 per pack in June. June 3rd I think. That is a big enough increase.

I only smoke a pack every five days, and I happen to enjoy my smokes very much. I have no intention of quitting. Especially considering that if I take a ride into the city, the air quality there is so poor that it is equivelant to smoking severl packs, up to eight, in a single day. I'm sure it is the same in most cities.

For those who have suggested the "roll your own" approach, no dice. I am not as addicted to the tobacco as I am to the fillers, chemicals, sweeteners, etc., in a good ol' Marlboro.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join