It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's going on in Oregon with Earthquakes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I always check the iris map:

www.iris.edu...

Yesterday while driving to the store I heard on the radio that Oregon is having quakes going into the 5. range area and they can't figure out why this is happening. They mentioned this has happened like a swarm which doesn't usually occur unless it is right at a volcano location and there is no volcano where this is happening.

Has any of our members been aware of this and heard anything?

600 quakes in 10 days off the central Oregon Coast. They are saying this is no threat. The quakes are occurring in the middle of the Juan de Fuca Plate away from the major plate.

[edit on 14-4-2008 by observe50]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Guess there are mostly mountains in Oregon.

So activity is always a problem.

I just saw something about rainfall, in Seattle, well close to Oregon,
they wanted police from New York and the rain fall quote was 10"
less than New York.

What is all the complaints about rainfall in the Upper North West?
That alone is incentive and a childhood buddy went there years ago.
Way in time before Microsoft arrived.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Fox news is on now and they are saying is this a precursor to a major quake in the West Coast.

Said 600 that were detected could be thousands that are to small to be detected. Thinking a new Fault line is occuring or there might be a volcano they didn't know is there.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
Fox news is on now and they are saying is this a precursor to a major quake in the West Coast.

Said 600 that were detected could be thousands that are to small to be detected. Thinking a new Fault line is occuring or there might be a volcano they didn't know is there.

Well this sounds pretty serious.

I read the thread about this yesterday and the message was more or less it wasn't that unusual, but it seems like FOX is taking it seriously.

Hope everything out there is OK.

Does anyone have any updates?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I put this in the earthquake thread but Ill put it in here too...here is the usgs site that shows earthquakes 'as they happen' so to speak. This is the section of the ocean that's having the earthquakes. YOu can see the cities on the map. What is showing now, is at least 4 earthquakes between 4.0 and 5.0 within the past day.

link:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

picture:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Thanks for that link.

I had looked for something on Google, but that works nicely.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I have heard talks of things such as Super Volcano's underneath organ, While Reading some of the threads on the forums. However i have never gone into to much Depth about them.

Im going to search around a little bit to see if i can uncover anything that would Suggest this be true, or lead me to think otherwise, Ill post and nifty Findings.

Sincerely,
Hakii

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
These earthquakes are a fair amount of miles away from the coast of Oregon where there are no known volcanos. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a new volcano. This pattern of smaller earthquakes that are described as 'drumbeats', are the exact same type of earthquakes that started up with Mt St Helens was waking up again. I imagine therees going to be a discovery of a new volcano where those earthquakes are taking place. I may not have the formal education about volcanos and earthquakes but I know more then the average bear. You have to if you live near them. I mean mt. st. helens can be seen from my city. Thankfully these earthquakes are 270 miles from portland, and if I may continue to be selfish, hopefully it will stay this far away

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
What seems benign because it's off the coast of Oregon, and roughly six to seven miles deep, may not be once it rears its head. If it is a volcano, it's the ash we need to worry about.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
It seems the American Geophysicists are saying it could be attributed to molton rock crumbling off the Oregon Coast. They repeat that this kind of swarm is usually the type that precede's a volcanic eruption but they are saying no volcano exists in this area and they haven't seen anything like this.

They say it sounds like distant thunder.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Theres a boat heading out there, I wonder if its heading out there today. They are going to take measurements of gas and see if anything is coming up and out of the area where these quakes are. I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

I ain't scared a no ash

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
It seems the American Geophysicists are saying it could be attributed to molton rock crumbling off the Oregon Coast. They repeat that this kind of swarm is usually the type that precede's a volcanic eruption but they are saying no volcano exists in this area and they haven't seen anything like this.

They say it sounds like distant thunder.

That is EXACTLY what it sounded like here in Maine a couple years ago. I would look up and see no clouds and wonder where the thunder came from. Then within a month we had a 4.2 and a couple 3+ quakes that people that don't feel them very often, well, they feel them. We had rockslides. Nothing like an earthquake to snap one out of fantasy land and back to real science.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
yes, this is one interesting time... wouldn't it be cool to see an island form off the coast of north america?!!!?

so.. they are getting these readings away from the edge of the plate.. and there is no known volcano in the area... I bet there is now! lol.

as for ash... that's really not a big concern if a volcano is 1000 meters or more below the surface.

I have a google earth plugin to see quakes almost as they happen.. it's a usgs one.. about 9k.. is there a way to post it on here?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Interesting indeed, Though quite normal given the place there occouring but there not panning out the normal way which is why its seems the media have really jumped on this one,

A research ship is being sent over next week so it can collect some water samples to get an idea why these may be happening,

One to keep an eyye on that is for sure,

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I like to try and connect things so I observe and I am trying to see if there will be a connection of UFO sighting in the Ring of Fire area.

My thoughts are we are having this unusual swarm where there is no supposed volcano and there are the same range quakes going on at the Mariana Islands.

The ships and these beings are in the deepest of our waters and the Mariana Trench is in some of our deepest waters, so I am wondering if our pals are up to relieving stress.

I believe many things are going to start to happen such as the Earth supposed flip and they are going to try and do all they can to help ease this so life is not totally destroyed.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I'm not finding anything new today but I have noticed they are saying the big one by 2037 for California.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sleuth
What seems benign because it's off the coast of Oregon, and roughly six to seven miles deep, may not be once it rears its head. If it is a volcano, it's the ash we need to worry about.

Um, no. Ash? Yeah maybe from St. Helens, Mt. Hood, Mt. Bachelor, Crater Lake, or Mt. Shasta, but not from activity at this kind of ocean depth. I think Oregonians (including me) should be more concerned about tsunamis from these offshore events. Where is the info on that? Was there any freak waves hitting the coastline after these earthquakes? Seems to me that a 5+ mag should displace enough water to be measurable at the coast 100-200 miles away?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
IIRC, there is a potential for an earthquake of similar magnitude to the boxing day 2004 event in that area. the quakes are on the boundary between Juan de Fuca and the pacific plate, perhaps a sign of stress buildup before a large quake. of course maybe a volcano coming up, and if it is I'm not too sure what type it would be, as that area bears most resemblance to where Iceland is, with regard to possible volcanoes.

Had a thread about it last year as well, actually, here

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
My bet would be on a new volcano, a new eventual island or larger land mass if the pressure doesn't get relieved inland.
That little plate is uniquely placed for generation of stresses along the Cascades from Ranier to NorCal.
I would be interested in the data from the Lassen field and Ranier.

If the pressure is relieved out to sea, as it were, it would be better than being relieved inland by a large margin.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I was reading the article at IRIS and as soon as they posted that California was due for a big one Santa Barbara had a 3.2

They said you don't have to worry about a Tsunami because this is happening in an area called the Blanco Fracture Zone. It is said this general region where the 2 plates Juan de Fuca and the Pacific Plate are sliding horizonally past each other and Tsunami's occur when plates make a sudden movement vertically displacing the Ocean.

Whatever is happening we may never know but it sure does make me nervous and I live on the East Coast.

Just beware and careful my West Coast friends.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join