It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Massive Migration Off The Grid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Here's what I've been thinking. Alot of people talk about corruption in government, consolidated control and police states, upcoming apocalypse or consciousness changing events...I won't profess to know what is going on in our world, but I do know that many of us feel discontent and a strong sense that some drastic change is imminent or at least becoming more possible...

you hear about alien interventions, spiritual evolutions, armed rebellions...but in all honesty, i feel that TPTB already have too tight a hold on most of us to make any of these options feasible or at least successful to any significant degree.

the author william s. burroughs - whom i tend to see somewhat as an insider whistleblower - once wrote something along the lines of 'the revolution will come about by ignoring the enemy out of existence.'

i feel these are powerful words, and more relevant than ever. so much of what we allow to happen in the world is due to the fact that so many people are living in a reality entirely constructed by institutions such as government, the media and organized religion.

but what if we all just left it all behind? abandoned our corporate jobs, our social obligations, our mortgage and insurance payments...and just...disappeared? we could form our own communities, and surely there would be many hermits and rogue wanderers, but the question is...could we form a society outside of society, one that is self-sufficient and prosperous without relying on the worldwide "control machine" (whomever you may choose to believe is behind it)?

i realize this is a vague and 'out there' post, but if you dig what i'm getting at , i'd love to hear some reactions. after all, thats why we're here in the skunk works.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by shipovfools]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
You know the Mormons already did that.
I do not know if it has worked out so well for them.
It is realy not possible to do what you are poposing.
The government is not going to put up with any of that.
What do you think Waco was all about?
It was to make a point that you can not be independent, in this country.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
nice topic, like it.

I'd say it comes down the circumstances you are born into. We were born into developed societies and we have to deal both with the positives and negatives of that. One one hand we live in a stable environment and have all the necesities of life easily available and in abundace. On the other hand, as you say, we are 'forced' into a certain socialogical system which comes with all issues you have stated.

As to the possibility of forming a self-sustaining society 'outside' of society itself is a complex question to which i dont have the answer. the closest thing I can think of would be religious communities but i think what you are talking about is much bigger, like an option, if you like which people can choose. you wanna live in this model for society or this one?

Geographical location is a big issue as I don't think many countries would welcome such an idea. People living in a country but not citizens of that country...comes with a whole load of problems.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
People have been"getting off the grid" for quite a while.Everybody has heard about the IRS sending out $600 checks to everyone that files 07 taxes.It's just a ploy by the IRS.Over the last few years more and more people have failed to file income taxes.This is causing the IRS to panic.The revenue shortfall has become insurmountable.This give back is to get some of these nonfilers to file for the money.Then the IRS can run audits on them.
The people are tired of this wack government.The statement you made about people "getting lost" is a truism. There are several I personally know who"slid off the radar"They are raising thier own crops and bartering for other necessities.
You take a group of 20 or so people that band together and purchase land. One or two people stay in the public work force just for the cash for electricity and property taxes and such.The rest work the land and barter thier skills for whatever they can't raise or manufacture.
This scenairo drives the Government nuts.They have no real control over these people.That's why you see them busting compounds every so often.
Communes work if it is run democratically,and no one is worth more than the work they do.
This type of lifestyle is comming back into style.It's long over due.The Amish and Mennonite have been doing this for years and live nearly tax free.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I agree and disagree with you daddyro.

I doubt the government does anything with only "one" objective. I'm sure the I.R.S. hasn't failed to see the "opportunity" to catch some people...but it sure wasn't the sole purpose or their idea.
Jesse Ventura is one of those people that, well he claims, is "off the grid"
If you don't make a big stink about it, the gov. will leave you alone.
Just like the groups of people you guys mentioned in your posts.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
cool thread,

couple questions to pose....do you have to be rich to be able to hide from the grid ?

or do you become poor trying to avoid the matrix ?

here is a former governer that says he is off the grid living in mexico....

www.youtube.com...
YouTube - Jesse Ventura on Larry King

[edit on 13-4-2008 by easynow]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Isolation is one strategy, the other strategy is to start a migration of like individuals into the same voting districts. Take over by a slow gradual spread. It has two advantages:
1) if voted representatives do not represent your group, they dissapear by next term and will be replaced by someone from your group.
2) having everyone in the same area unified by the same cause builds a strong momentum for continued growth.

I would like to recommend that if you are interested in starting a like minded community, www.ic.org is a good place to attract others to your community.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The government, the system, the status quo, the powers-that-be are telling us this:

"Ok, I want everyone here to stand on this stool. Ok, now all of you put your heads in this noose."

... And then they kick the stool out from under us so we all hang.

You've got to learn to stand on your own two feet, or you'll get knocked around.

They don't want independence. They don't want self-reliance. They don't want tight families. They don't want communities banding together. All of these things represent a threat to their system, and they represent the public getting itself free of the social drugs they have a monopoly over.

THIS IS YOUR GREATEST WEAPON. Far more than guns or money. They KNOW they can't fight a public which is united. This is why they work so feverishly to divide us... over racial issues, class issues, the clothes we wear, the cars we drive, the schools we go to... abortion, marriage, taxes, ... EVERYTHING THEY DO is to divide us and diminish our unified power.

Go knock on your neighbor's door. Get to know them. Get to trust each other. Come up with ideas on your own.

You can save yourselves by simply denying them power over you.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by ianr5741]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
See my thread: The New Atlantis (the first wateral nation)

^^It's in the enviromental issue on Above Politics. It would be as a society away from all current societies because persons would be living on ships in fleets out on non-terrarorial ocean waters.

top topics

join