It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quakes off Oregon coast shake up a mystery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Quakes off Oregon coast shake up a mystery

www.oregonlive.com

Geologists at Oregon State University are preparing to divert a research ship to investigate an unusual offshore swarm of earthquakes -- including three of magnitude 5 or larger -- about 170 miles southwest of Newport.

The earthquakes started about 10 days ago and are continuing, although they appeared to taper off slightly Thursday night, said Robert Dziak, an OSU marine geologist in Newport. Instruments have recorded more than 600 tremors, many of them very small.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bloomberg.com
www.bloomberg.com
ap.google.com
media.www.theranger.org

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Seems like recently there has been increased earthquake activity around the world. The quakes off the Oregon coast could be a new volcano forming. A huge 7.3 hit south of Australia, there have been over 10 earthquakes in the S. Pacific in the last 24 hrs, plus quakes in Texas and Italy.

www.oregonlive.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Good post. This is significant even for nothing more that the response it has drawn from the scientific community. They seem unusally -baffled- by this and other recent geophysical events.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
hey guys.. sorry to say.. but there are 2 other threads on this already...

super interesting though and something I have been following since before they started.
recent swarms in NA:
-oregon
-wells, nv (which is still going today)
-yellow stone
-sultan sea / mexico
- reno / truckee area

there are some more I think

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Thank you pynner. He is correct. There is another thread ongoing about this very issue. It can be found here. Please continue the discussion there.

Thread Closed.

Thank You,
TheBorg
Forum Moderator

Reopen edit:

As I'm one that likes to correct wrongs when they happen, I'm reopening this thread. The other thread mentioned by the above poster is in another forum, and as such, has a right to remain open as well. Both can run simultaneously.

At this time, I'd like to commence my eating of crow, and will leave my above original message up as an example that even moderators make mistakes once in a while.

Please ribaldmalarky, take this post as a sincere apology.

You may now commence the conversation. Erm, recommence, that is...

TheBorg
Forum Moderator

[edit on 12-4-2008 by TheBorg]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
It take a big man to admit when he is wroung. Nice job Borg.

What if all this recent Quake activity is building to a large shift in the plates, possibly resulting in a slippiage of the plates on the California coast... Massive destruction... mabye Mt St. Helens blowing...

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
For those of you who wish to keep a closer eye on earthquakes and are not aware of this site then I post for you a link to the USGS...
earthquake.usgs.gov...

I regularly check out and even report quakes to this site. Have had quite a few strong quakes close to me over the last 2 years.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by pynner
recent swarms in NA:
-oregon
-wells, nv (which is still going today)
-yellow stone
-sultan sea / mexico
- reno / truckee area

I know there is activity in Yellow Stone, but have the recent activities there been stronger than in previous years? How would a person find that information and compare records? I've just always found it interesting that if that volcano blew, it is supposedly to wipe out mankind within 12 hours.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This is so interesting to me! Not to turn this thread into something it is not, but before I heard about this story I was surfing around on the web and came across a map that allegedly shows what North America will look like after 2012 and Earth changes (according to some psychic) . The map shows a new island in a very similar spot to where these quakes have been taking place and the fact that these quakes are a swarm indicative of volcanic activity is intriguing, to say the least. North America After Earth Changes?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Looks like today is a big time active day for the west coast. This really can not be good. the last time I looked about a month ago it was mostly around the Alaska area but now you can see where the whole west coast is getting it bad. As for finding out about activity in yellowstone. Yes you can go back thru there old archives. You will be able to tell how many and there sizes.

Hilda

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
sorry about the closing thread thing.. didn't realize it was in a different forum.

anyways yeah, there have been a few reports saying that the quakes are from the middle of the plate, and not along the cracks.. which begs the question, if it has all the signs of a volcanic eruption and theres no volcano in that location, what then?

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   

top topics

join