It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Documents prove FBI has national eavesdropping program that tracks IMs, emails and cell phones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Documents prove FBI has national eavesdropping program that tracks IMs, emails and cell phones

rawstory.com

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has been routinely monitoring the e-mails, instant messages and cell phone calls of suspects across the United States -- and has done so, in many cases, without the approval of a court.

Documents released under the Freedom of Information Act and given to the Washington Post -- which stuck the story on page three -- show that the FBI's massive dragnet, connected to the backends of telecommunications carriers, "allows authorized FBI agents and analysts, with point-and-click ease, to receive e-mails, instant messages, cellphone calls and other communications that tell them not only what a suspect is saying, but where he is and where he has been, depending on the wording of a court order or a government directive," the Post says.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Well although this is nothing new or surprising, i guess it is good that we finally have proof. I still do not understand how Big Brother can exist and perform this monitoring and not be subjected to the law. If anyone who is charged by this means fights that the information is obtained illegal, does it hold up in court?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
no supprises here.

I always thought that having a cell phone was just 1 step away from having a microchip implanted in your neck. We're being conditioned to "need" these gadgets,computers,phones and sat nav. It's all just another way to see what ya'll up to.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Here's an idea. Since they are doing this illegally. Turn the tables on them and have some fun. No harm no foul. They think they are above the law so if you can't beat them join them.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CPYKOmega

I did do that very thing with a friend of mine. I live outside the US, and her in the US. We would constantly drop high profile words, like "bomb" "terrorist" "weapons of mass destruction" and so on. We were just joking around. It wasn't too long before the line was clicking and there was static and echo's, to the point where we had to disconnect the line and try to call back on numerous occasions. Don't know if that's just coincidence or not. Eventually it stopped, but it could have been because we were using big words that Bush couldn't understand...hard to say.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Come to think of it, since we're on the topic of eavesdropping...

I live in an international border town with the US. A friend of mine, in the US works for an environmental firm related to the EPA. They were conducting tests on the local industrial pollution levels. They had a camera, pointed at a particular industry, which incidentally had a partial view blocked by the international bridge. Keep in mind they were in a university as well, while recording, when their door was stormed open by military in full uniform with guns and the whole bit demanding why they had a camera pointed to the international bridge. They explained their research, and were still told not to point in that direction and had their camera erased.

Point being....obviously there is more than just internet "watching" going on.

What gets me is, he is funded through the government...lol. How stupid.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
i was just considering this the other day.. the Red Door at the ATT facility in SF, that got all the attention when Mark Klein blew the whistle.

i noticed that i do not get itemized call records anymore with my phone bill, used to see all the people that i called and received calls from. but not anymore.. perhaps that was just a document generated for surveillance purposes and is no longer needed because they're hooked directly in now.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysticaltheologist
We would constantly drop high profile words, like "bomb" "terrorist" "weapons of mass destruction" and so on.

lol i remember doing the same thing when i was younger. I am unsure whether Australia has the same amount of monitoring going on as the US though. Although i highly believe the US is doing it, i have never really entertained the thought that my government is capable of doing this, or even needs to with our small population.

top topics

join