It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CPS Questioning Children At Polygamist Compound, Could This be Another Waco Incident?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I know. I dont know the answer at all. I have no idea how to deal with it.

I just know when you look at some of what is happening, its clearly emotional abuse, and mental manipulation.

Maybe with the advent of brain imaging we can make some progress into quantifying emotional abuse, and go from there. Its just a shame that this is happening to children.

Im not opposed to religion, or sharing your belief with your children, but like you, I am opposed to abusing them. No matter how it is labeled.

Cheers. Good discussion.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

There is one thing. Independent thought.

I do not excuse anyone in blaming their childhood because of issues in adulthood.

And believe me - I have plenty. But that is not the point. I am an adult. I am in charge.

I can not exactly pin-point the problems of my childhood. On the surface it was a very good childhood. I had few rules and a lot of freedom. But both my brothers have emotional issues too. Something wasn't working.

However - my older brother and myself had a strong independent streak. We fought for ourselves and our lives. My younger brother lacked that independent streak and suffered the most.

Why do some people emerge out of unbelievable horrors - - and some who've had mere bumps in the road - - - fall into total destruction?

EVERYONE must say "I'm an adult - and I am in charge of my life".

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

While I do understand what you are saying, I tend to suspect it is not that easy.

It seems to me from infancy on, some people have more "guts" or "fight" than others.

Your solution is pretty natural selection-ish, law of the jungle. "The strong will survive and the weak will perish, and that is the way it should be."

I dont disagree on one level. But the more humane and less logical portion of me says that the babies, children, etc., who are (by God or nature) not aggressive and fighters, deserve a chance too.

Studies seem to indicate the our personality is not all choice, and free will. But some of it comes with us, from birth onward. Other studies have shown that childhood trauma can affect the physical structure and function of the brain, (the amygdala for instance) long after the trauma is over, and this affects many things, from memory, to reaction to threat, etc.

I think its kind of unfair to say that children who are traumatized and/or born less dominant should suck it up and learn to fight back. They just arent built that way, and it isnt their fault. Just like in a litter of pups or kittens there are the dominant ones, and you see them early on, and the gentle little passive ones, that everyone steps on to get dinner.

I believe in protecting those gentle ones too.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

I think its kind of unfair to say that children who are traumatized and/or born less dominant should suck it up and learn to fight back. They just arent built that way, and it isnt their fault. Just like in a litter of pups or kittens there are the dominant ones, and you see them early on, and the gentle little passive ones, that everyone steps on to get dinner.

I don't think I said that.

There is lots of help for people today. Professional help. But - there are some people who won't let go of the past. You can not live your life fully in the present - - if you continue to dwell in the past.

When you continue to use your past as an excuse - - rather then a learning experience - - you've got problems.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

You can not tell parents how to raise their children.

Although - I personally find Jesus camp appalling - - these kids are not abused.

At least not abused in any sense - - that can be considered illegal - where the government needs to step in.

At least not by today's rules.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join