It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another too symetrical object mars?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I'm unsure if this object has already been discussed here or appeared in another thread, but since I have no recollection of seeing before, I decided to bring to the attention of the community here again.

While looking at the NASA mars picture PIA09091: Looking East to 'Tyrone'

PIA09091

my attention was caught to an apparent symetrical object in the upper right corner.

While I am fully aware that people tend to recognize known or familiar forms in rock formations, I still find it amazing to see this symetry in the object and find it difficult to admit that this is a coincidence of nature without outside interference.

Here's the same picture with an outline as it appeared to me.

Any comments, thoughts, analysis welcome!

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by icblue

Interesting pic iceblue!

I also found the soil surrounding it to be interesting. It looks much different to everything else. My favorite part though is all the salt and water that the rover has disturbed. How high is the water table on Mars? I remember seeing it in another thread and commenting but how graphic is it in this shot!

I believe we will eventually terraform this planet. Makes me wonder how much oxygen is under the soil and contained in the icecaps too!

[edit on 1/4/08 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Great find

Also immediately in front of it is a dustbin lid

Seriously, good find and as infraredman said, interesting to see the water table so high...one of the best shots i have yet seen. Flagged,

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

You are right about the soil, doh..it is different! I didn't even catch that as I was too fixed on the object itself

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Nice find
!

The item is real interesting,the size of it does look small considering the background rocks and the front rocks.

something is interesting in the tracks too the rover made!real weird

sweet find
starred

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by expatwhite

Also immediately in front of it is a dustbin lid

Yes, I didn't comment on that one because it really seems like a concave bolder that has it's form from natural origin. The difference in color from that one to the object makes the "un-natural" apperance of the object even more apparent. If the bolder is a metorite then the object clearly appears as a non-metorite.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It might just be me but I just don’t see anything special about it, if you hadn’t pointed it out or put the exaggerated yellow lines on it, it would seem to be a normal rock

Here’s a good example of what you’d all be screaming about if you’d seen this on Mars

[edit on 1-4-2008 by andre18]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

That's a negative, andre18, curved lines, concave and convexe are natural occurences due to errosion by water and air. Rectangular formations are mostly only observed in crystalloid formations. Rectangular formations with rectangular excavations normally do not appear in nature and back down here on earth are signs of human interaction with the environment.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Ohhhhh….. I beg the differ….

The Giants Causeway

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

Absolutely right, now show me some of those that have rectangular excavations inside the rectangular rock formation and that is a stand alone like in the picture and I'll buy it. Normally where there is one such rock, like in your picture, there appear more of the same type due to identical environmental conditions. In the mars picture there is only ONE and none of the surrounding rock formations show identical traits.

In your picture are basalt columns that are a common volcanic feature and again it's not just one.

[edit on 1/4/08 by icblue]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
So how big do you suppose this object is meant to be?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Just to throw my opinion in...

I have a strong suspicion that Mars was once inhabited. It's a gut-feeling thing and totally unprovable (though the subject of this post may well constitue circumstantial evidence).

But, these tantalising shapes we see on Mars may well have a more mundane explanation. An example from this side of the divide:

This is a boulder on display at Jennings Randolph Lake in Mineral County, West Virginia. There have been numerous theories and speculations as to its origin, ranging from a pictograph made by prehistoric man, an indian carving, the impression of the skin pattern of a giant lizard, or evidence of a visit to earth by an early travelers from outer space.
After examination of the phenomenon, Corps of Engineers geologists and those of other agencies have concluded that it is a natural geological formation. Although such formations are not common, similar patterned boulders were found on the east side of Tea Creek Mountain in Pocahontas County, West Virginia.

www.mondovista.com/boulders/

I so want to see something completely mindblowing in an image from Mars. What we are getting are teasers, and as such have to be careful before we jump to conclusions.

Until someone unaffiliated with NASA, and who does not have an agenda, sets foot on the Red Planet's surface all we can do is to speculate on these oidd objects until we're blue in the face.

Or, more appropriately, red.

Edit: removing evidence of stupidity.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by Beamish]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

Woo that's a tough one, but based on size and distance of the tracks I wouldn't guess it much bigger than 0.8 - 0.9 meters wide with the inner excavation of about 0.3 meters. Don't nail me down on that, it's really just a guess.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

Interesting picture you brought there, Beamish, and yes it is hard to think that this is a natural formation and far from me to contradict the geologists.
But again there is the multitude of identical structures whereas in the mars picture we have this object or rock as a stand alone with none of the adjacent rocks showing even similar traits.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It looks to be about the size of my foot or maybe even pebble size, what would be the intention of making something so small – though I’m assuming you suspect this to be apart of an ancient civilization on Mars made millions of years ago when Mars could have been livable? I’m only suggesting it because the object appears to be so small, it couldn’t possibly be an entrance to a underground base or something like that. If it was the size of the famous face, I’d be more intrigued

And so I can only logically conclude it to be a natural anomaly – though I hate sounding like a BS NASA scientist claiming swamp gas or the erratic movements of Venus, it simply is a natural anomaly

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

I don't think it to be an entrance either, and we are plus minus in same estimates of the size. I have no sustainable idea what it could have been for, though it reminds a bit of some aqueduct stones as I've seen over here in Europe. Remains of an ancient civilisation? Who knows..your guess is as good as mine. However it stands out and bears no immediate logically natural origin.
I wish I could make the probe turn around and have it go take a closer look for sure.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yeah I’m out of ideas…..star – flag, very interesting what ever it is …… you should get Mike to look at this

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Could anyone tell me why the trail looks like water and ice?

Is it because of colour changes?? But I mean that looks like a lot of water!??

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

The tracks are interesting too, it looks like the removed dust layer has a darker color like you'd expect of a moist ground. As to why it appears that there is also ice- or salt like material coming up, I have no clue and would love an explanation too.
Maybe it's the frozen humidity of the mars atmosphere?
Anyone?
And while at it, could anyone also give an explanation as to why the soil around the object seems to display a different structure aswell?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GUNSINWAR
Nice find
!

The item is real interesting,the size of it does look small considering the background rocks and the front rocks.

something is interesting in the tracks too the rover made!real weird

sweet find
starred

Have to agree, that looks weird, what is that blue substance?
Almost looks like a liquid of some sort...

Star&Flag for the OP!

Perhaps it is an marsian lighter?

Not that i know what the object is, the pic in itself was nice.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join