It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's 6th Great Extinction Already Happening!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
We have already begun the world's sixth great extinction. Animal and insect species are dying off at a rapid rate and many other species are seriously threatened. This has been known about for a number of years among scientists, who pretty much all agree that we have entered a sixth Great Extinction, the largest since the dinosaurs went extinct. Many scientists and biologists think that this present extinction rate may well exceed what happened with the dinosaurs.

www.well.com...
There are more than 300 links on this page, all of them from reputable sources such as the Worldwatch, National Geographic, Scientific American, Science, etc. Even the United Nations agrees we are in a major extinction.

From this link, an article from the Washington Post, dated April 21, 1998:
(i.e., the info here has only worsened in the last 10 years since this was published)

"The speed at which species are being lost is much faster than any we've seen in the past -- including those [extinctions] related to meteor collisions," said Daniel Simberloff, a University of Tennessee ecologist and prominent expert in biological diversity who participated in the museum's survey. [Note: the last mass extinction caused by a meteor collision was that of the dinosaurs, 65 million years ago.]

Most of his peers apparently agree. Nearly seven out of 10 of the biologists polled said they believed a "mass extinction" was underway, and an equal number predicted that up to one-fifth of all living species could disappear within 30 years. Nearly all attributed the losses to human activity, especially the destruction of plant and animal habitats."

You can also google "current mass extinction" and get lots of results with many good articles on this subject.

Here is a table that summarizes which species are threatened, listed by type of species, from 1996 to 2007.
www.iucnredlist.org...

More tables here:
www.iucnredlist.org...

Here is another article, from June 2007:
www.greenlivingtips.com...

"While extinction is a normal part of evolution, the current extinction rate is anywhere from 1,000 to 10,000 times higher than at any time over the past 60 million years. That being the case, I don't think this period of time being called the sixth great extinction is an exaggeration. Some say that the sixth great extinction will rival the third - 90-95% of all species will vanish over a very short period unless we dramatically change our ways..."

"...Aside from the loss of beauty and diversity when a singles species becomes extinct, the disappearance of one species can be the trigger for the vanishing of many more that may be dependent upon it. We are also losing species useful for treating human illness; many we will never know of their therapeutic value as they are extinct already. Who knows, the cure and vaccination for cancer or AIDS that medicine has been searching so long for may disappear from our planet.. today."

The circle of life is just that, all things are interconnected. If other animals are seriously threatened, how long until humankind starts to die off?

mod edit: "ex" tags

[edit on 27-3-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
There is nothing more I love then animals and nature. That is what we do best, we kill everything off then realize our mistakes and try to fix it, then we do it again. Until people stop being stupid and learn to use everything in a moderation this will continue happening. I'm a 21 year old man and honestly nothing pisses me off more then seeing people killing animals. It is just in my nature to protect creatures that are lesser then us. If everyone in the world had the same mentality as me we would all be tree hugger's!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

Nice post! I'm sure people will try to say you are wrong and everything, but I believe you have made a very important point... Anyone who watches any of the learning channels, TLC, Discovery etc. can see that our planet is dieing... Just look at how many dead zones there are in the ocean!

150 Dead Zones

And I think probably the most known about extinction is that of the Polar Bears... No ice for them to hunt on... They swim and swim and sometimes drown... It's so sad to see this happening and very scary too...

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

The problem is that we no longer kill of species by arrows/bullets. We kill them by polluting/taking habitat/over-fishing. So removing
ng hunters will do nothing. Remove fishers- several countries will have a major hunger. Remove pollution - since technologically achievable ,it is only a social issue. But what an issue. Taking habitat - where people in third world will live?
So it will go on and on. I arrived to conclusion that Ecology has to be part of a school program,just as important as language/math. We have to learn how to use our home.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
THank you all for your posts. Please don't forget to star and flag if you think this is important, so it will be read by more people.
Well, 37 views and only 3 replies, I think that's sad. Do people not care, don't believe it or what? Just wondering.

Thank you to the person who pointed out that the oceans are dying. THis is a very sad fact, yet most people don't know, don't care or just flat out don't believe it. But...I rememeber 25 years ago, there were all kinds of different fish to eat - swordfish, shark, salmon, halibut, cod, shrimp, scallops, etc. Now I go to the store and I'm lucky if I can find salmon. All of it is either tilapia or whiting (tastes terrible) and it's all grown (except for whiting) in fish farms, which is the only reason we still have salmon and tilapia. The farms feed them weird things like beef bullion, which causes them to be unhealthy and cancer-producing.

Here's a thought: fish provide the most Omega 3 oil of any species, plant or animal, on earth. Omega 3 is vital to brain development. Without fish as a resource, what will happen to the brains of humanity? Admittedly, we are getting dumber it would seem, but this adds a whole new issue to the extinction problem.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Don't worry so much about this, the Earth is always ever changing and she can heal herself. And, panspermia and visiting alien mercenaries can help restock the planet with wildlife diversity once again. But none of this can happen until the infestation known as humons have been eradicated from the face of the planet. And for that WE have a plan ~ a fool proof extermination plan deserving for the greedy careless destructive flesh and blood thirsty vampires of Earth (a.k.a. humons). By the time 2011 is over, it will be the icky wicked planet destroying vermin that will be on the verge of extinction. Trust us, humanity can and will be stopped dead in their tracks, because nature has special friends here on Earth to help HER. Death to humanity! Save the Earth by eradicating humanity!
Get ready to go bye bye forever humans.
Human extinction by 2012 WILL HAPPEN. Don't worry, trust us, we can save the Earth and all her other deserving species from human inflicted terror and doom. Death to humanity!

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I would have to say the Native Americans knew how to do this... Maybe if we didn't charge in here and blast them all, putting them into reservations etc and instead learned from them we might not be in the situation we are today...

It's very easy to live with nature, but we choose to shop at supermarkets instead and drive fast cars instead of using horses and things of that nature...

As said it will continue on and on because the average American is a party animal, caring only of one self and not that of the whole...

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Yes it is sad what is happening to the oceans and our lands... I don't think people choose not to believe I think people just choose to ignore it... You know, if you act as if it's not happening then it's not happening... Or if you figure things are ok where you're at then it should be ok everywhere else... Fact is people won't start to realize what's happening until it hits them personally.. That in itself is a sad fact... I myself think this is a very important issue, probably the most important...

Also you might want to check into the NWO some more.. I've read that genetically produced foods will become everyday and also something about them poisoning all the food so you will have to conform with the system... If you don't join you won't be able to eat or drink anything because everything outside the system will be poison... This is just what I've picked up from videos etc on the NWO and their plans... I could be wrong...

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
You are right EUS, about the NWO. Their stated goal is to have control of the entire world's food production. I read an article by Vandana Shiva, a well-known Indian activist trying to save India's farming, which has come under the control of Monsanto. She says that in some regions, fruit trees are not fruiting because of the lack of bees to pollinate and the bees have all been killed off by GM crops. Let's not forget also the widespread use of pesticides that have killed off many of our pollinators. It is estimated that one third of all crops are pollinated by bees. Well, WERE pollinated by bees.

The more you learn about this whole situation, the worse it gets, and the more depressing it becomes.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Please delete.

[edit on 27-3-2008 by quintar]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Please Delete.

[edit on 27-3-2008 by quintar]

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Quintar, I"m not sure what the point of your posts are. This isn't a thread about the U.N.'s stance on environment, it's about the fact that we are in a Great Extinction presently. It's been proved that we are, so what is your point in talking about the U.N.'s policies? This doesn't seem relevant to me.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Thank you, Quintar. I guess you decided it was off-topic. I appreciate your diligence.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I heard that Albert Einstein once said that the day we stop seeing bees is the day the world soon end. (I don't think it's word for word). I heard that from my cousin. I don't know if it's true. Is it?

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady [Note: the last mass extinction caused by a meteor collision was that of the dinosaurs, 65 million years ago.]

Note: There has NEVER been a mass extinction caused by a meteor collision.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I would agree with the fact that we are entering (have entered) another large extinction period - but lets not take the "black arm band" approach to what is happening.

A deeper analysis of the cyclic manifestation of life on this planet will demonstrate that the appearance/disappearance/modification of life forms is in accordance with Cosmic and Systemic Law.

These laws are in reality the interplay of 7 streams of creative energy that are known as the 7 Rays (the " spirits before the throne") and their cyclic manifestation (or their waxing and waning upon the physical plane) is the cause of the dance of life across our beautiful planet.

The 7th Ray is waxing into active physical manifestation and has been since 1945 and it is this Ray transition that is behind the change in physical expression upon our planet (and others in this system.)

This is not to deny the impact that humanity has had upon the kingdoms of nature. A greater understanding of our collective influence upon the planet will certainly ease suffering but the evolution of our planetary sphere is a force vastly more powerful than humanity's collective dysfunctional expression.

Species are disappearing, and new forms are appearing, and this is the flow of life that continues indefinately throughout the cycles of manifestation

Search the Ancient Wisdom for the keys to the 7 Rays and begin to see the vaster plans afoot for our world and our humanity.

Do not lose hope - and do not fixate on the outer form - remember that the essence (or Spirit or essential life) is veiled and contained by the form and therefore in the destruction of the form comes the liberation of the vital essence.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
WE are the endangered species, we wouldn't need a meteor collision to end our species, humanity's very own invention could take us out with the pressing of a few buttons. It is true, many other animals are in danger of going extinct, let alone us. We not only need to look out for our little blue planet and the animals on it, but also ourselves.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I guarantee you GMO crops and plants are behind this...

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
ForestLady, I don't believe you're correct.

posted on Mar, 27 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I don't intend to bring tears to your eyes, but in about 7-8 years the ecosystem will most likely collapse. Over the past 60 years, the industry has been pumping smoke and soot in the air indescriminately. Oil wells burning, smelters, steel mills, you name it, the upper atmosphere's been treated like a giant vacuum cleaner bag. A worldwide catastrophic fallout is imminent and everyone's denying it. The signs will start with rust coloured snow.. an acidic sludge from black clouds hovering over through the lower atmosphere.

People close their eyes, but when they finally see it, the government will be forced to act.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join