It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Fed Cuts Discount Rate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   

U.S. Fed Cuts Discount Rate

www.bloomberg.com

The Fed's first weekend change in borrowing costs since 1979 is Chairman Ben S. Bernanke's latest step to alleviate a credit squeeze that's exacerbating the U.S. economic slowdown. The dollar tumbled to a 12-year low against the yen and Treasury notes rallied as traders increased bets that officials will reduce their main rate by 1 percentage point when they meet on March 18.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
This is doing nothing for the worldwide apprehension to holding dollars.

The Euro has already jumped 160 points against the dollar in the Asian trading session and we're still 3 hours away from the London open.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
At this point in the game, I think the only thing the federal reserve could do to stave off this economic crisis is to dis ban. Turn the Money making back over to the government, forget the interest they think the US owes them, and let the government use the avalanche of freed up cash to boost the socio-economic structure from the bottom up, I don't see that as likely to happen

[edit on 16-3-2008 by DwnitsDwn]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DwnitsDwn

What is so awful about the Federal Reserve? And a related question: is the US economy better or worse than it was in 1913?

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by chromatico

The federal reserve charges our government both in real cost and interest to print money, it contributes a huge amount to the national dept.
it is one of the throne rooms of the elitists so often referred to on this site

I wasnt here in 1913 but it seems from my reading of history that , yes , almost anytime in US history the country was better off than today, with the exception of the great depression.

[edit on 16-3-2008 by DwnitsDwn]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DwnitsDwn

economy better or worse since 1913?

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
[edit on 17-3-2008 by DwnitsDwn]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
There are those that feel the stock market could crash anytime now. The necessary minimal nervousness level has been achieved for panic to break out. The crash could happen even this week some say. When the writing is on the wall, do you act now, or wait until you wish you hadn't? Do you fold now and cut your losses early, or do you ride out your no win-in-sight hand and hope everyone else folds first? There are those with homes they can not sell now that probably wished they had a year ago. There could be be those with stocks, investments, paper, they are unable to sell soon too.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

I already got reamed in the internet bubble burst but anyone that went through that and 911 has got to be thinking get out now. It will be ugly and the main story tommorrow. It the correction is big enough maybe we will bottom out enough for the vultures to come in an sweep up whats left.

Was it Rothschild that came out so good after the late 80s crash? Greed sucks.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
People are already throwing around "Black Monday" predictions for tomorrow. World trading looks to be way down right now. I am ready to bury my head in the sand and just hope everything turns out alright.

uk.reuters.com...

uk.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

A picture is worth a thousand words:

If you want to see the value of the dollar relative to 1913, stand on your head.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by gottago

Yeah but would you like to put up a similar chart showing real income?

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by chromatico
reply to post by gottago

Yeah but would you like to put up a similar chart showing real income?

Could you possibly do that since you brought it up? I wouldn't mind a little backgorund on it as well.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Here is a link to a real-time update on world financial markets.

finance.yahoo.com...

Japanese market is already down over 3%.

The Yen is now at 96.80 vs the Dollar. The most recent high was reached in June '07 for 124.12 yen per dollar. Looking at the monthly Yen charts since June '07 there was only 2 months that finished higher than they opened and it wasn't by a large margin.

The carry trade sell-off has now pushed yen below the previous two lows in Jan '05 and Dec '99. The next support level is at 79.75 which was the low in April '95. We could see a break below that support before all this is over.

Edit: Spelling + Date

[edit on 17-3-2008 by OmniVersal]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
The 'Interest Rate Statement' comes out on Wednesday.

Also coming out this week...

PPI m/m -- expected to be 0.3% from 1.0% previous
Core PPI m/m -- expected to be 0.2% from 0.4% previous
Unemployment Claims -- expected to be 360K from 353K previous

With the rash of negative U.S. economic data lately these numbers, as many before, may be lower than expected which usually results in further eroding of the dollar on the world market.

The best thing to do at this point is let the current interest rate and discount rate stand come Wednesday. Allow some time for the prior cuts to work themselves through the market, which experts say usually takes a couple months. Keep the discount rate steady while increasing the interest rate going into the third quarter. That will keep the liquidity going and may help to ease offshore concerns about 'reserve dollars'. Consumer spending is not going to go up anytime soon given the gains in the commodity markets, so keep your offshore shell game going until some balance is restored.

That is, of course, if the purpose was to stave off a deeper recession than we are currently in. If the purpose is hyper-stagflation-depression then we are on the right road.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

What you do is hold onto any stocks that you currently have, and try to save as much money as you can. When the market crashes, run in and grab up as many shares of whatever stock suits you, and sit on them for the duration of the recovery. By the time it's all over, you'll be a billionaire.

That's how TPTB came into their money in '29 anyway.

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

And thats exactly what I'm planning on. Well that and Cobra ruling the world, but its a first step.
I wonder how much stock I will be able to buy with Gold and Silver?

Anyone familiar with the Hamiltonians and the bonds that made them wealthy after the Revolution? They bought so called worthless certificates with a little silver and gold, which bloomed into massive wealth when things returned to normal.

[edit on 17/3/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

If the economy crashes your going to want to have as much money and try to have no stocks. The whole country will feel this crash if it happens, so chances will be that a lot of companies will become bankrupt because of the debts they are in. So avoid stocks!

Another problem is that people are seeing a boom in China so they are taking their stocks out and investing in China. What do they think will happen their companies? They will slowly plummet to their bankruptcy. The best advice is store up trading goods such as gold, silver, tobacco, alcohol, and etc.

If you want to have a certain amount of cash make sure it has good currency (euro, pounds, etc.)

[edit on 17-3-2008 by Equinox99]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Yes sell your worthless bonds and stock for a little gold and silver. During and right after the Revolution speculators paid 1/10 of various bonds price in silver and gold, when the economy recovered they were the new Aristocracy and everyone else was left with less than they had to begin with.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join