It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water makes US troops in Iraq sick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Water makes US troops in Iraq sick

news.yahoo.com

A report obtained by The Associated Press said soldiers experienced skin abscesses, cellulitis, skin infections, diarrhea and other illnesses after using discolored, smelly water for personal hygiene and laundry at five U.S. military sites in Iraq.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Just one more thing our troops have to endour.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
It's been know that Halliburton/KBR have been cutting corners, and endangering our troops, for years.

I can't help but wonder what's motivating the AP to rehash this knowledge once more? Why 'drop it' for 2 1/2 years, and bring it up again now?

Edit: Fixed link

[edit on 3/9/08 by redmage]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Check out the Documentary "Iraq for Sale" it exposes a lot of the corners private contractors cut over there in Iraq, water is just one of them, also private contractors charge like a hundred bucks for one duffel of laundry to be washed, even though soldiers would like to do it themselves, they're not allowed to.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by smoodiver
Check out the Documentary "Iraq for Sale"...

I've seen it.

It definitely tackles some of the often-overlooked dangers and realities of privatizing a war effort.

As to the OP, I still feel like I'm missing something. The timing of the AP just seems to be 'off'. Why now? Are they just now getting around to listening to the wistleblowers from 2005? Is this meant to distract people from a 'bigger' story, like possible plans for Iran? For me, something about this strikes me as being askew.

Then again, I could be ahead on the independent research curve, and this may still be 'news' to some. Maybe they thought that the story was sufficiently burried the first time around, but the medical cases are now growing to an extent that they don't feel that it can be hidden any longer.

[edit on 3/9/08 by redmage]

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Check out the Documentary "Iraq for Sale" it exposes a lot of the corners private contractors cut over there in Iraq, water is just one of them, also private contractors charge like a hundred bucks for one duffel of laundry to be washed, even though soldiers would like to do it themselves, they're not allowed to.

If you're insinuating that the soldiers are charged for laundry, that's totally incorrect. Laundry is done for free to the soldiers and civilian contractors, all you do is drop off your laundry bag and fill out a laundry ticket in triplicate. Now they may charge the govt that amount on the contract, but certainly not the troops themselves. Big difference.

I've been over here four years and have never paid for laundry, except at one camp that didn't have KBR. At that camp i paid a local Iraqi couple $3 a bag, as often as i wanted to have it done.

As far as the water article goes, not sure why it's being re-hashed again. Guess it was a slow news day.

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
oh noes its the iranians! must be poisoning the water supply so nuke them

or

its a foreign country , so , you know like they say on all the travel programmes - boil the water first....

posted on Mar, 9 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif

If you're insinuating that the soldiers are charged for laundry, that's totally incorrect. Laundry is done for free to the soldiers and civilian contractors, all you do is drop off your laundry bag and fill out a laundry ticket in triplicate. Now they may charge the govt that amount on the contract, but certainly not the troops themselves. Big difference.

I've been over here four years and have never paid for laundry, except at one camp that didn't have KBR. At that camp i paid a local Iraqi couple $3 a bag, as often as i wanted to have it done.

As far as the water article goes, not sure why it's being re-hashed again. Guess it was a slow news day.

I should have said "charge the government like a hundred bucks..." I know soldiers don't pay for it.

top topics

join