It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush officials: Congress irrelevant on Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Bush officials: Congress irrelevant on Iraq

www.navytimes.com

“It's the view of the administration that as long as there’s trouble in Iraq that you have authorization of this Congress to continue there in perpetuity and define trouble as you desire?” asked Rep. Gary Ackerman, D-N.Y.

“We have authorization to defend the national security of the United States against the continuing threat posed by Iraq,” Satterfield replied. “The situation in Iraq continues to present a threat to the United States.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.armytimes.com
www.airforcetimes.com
www.topix.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Study: Bush, Other Officials Issued Hundreds of False Statements Before Iraq Invasion
US Congress' Iraq struggle evokes Vietnam years
Brattleboro to vote on arresting Bush, Cheney

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   

The Bush administration says the 2002 congressional authorization to go to war in Iraq gives it the authority to conduct combat operations in Iraq and negotiate far-reaching agreements with the current Iraqi government without consulting Congress.

Why does the situation in Iraq continue to present a "threat" to the US? It presents more of a threat to its war-ravaged people- what's left of the poor souls. And it's no threat- it's reality that they face every single day.

Furthermore, with all the proven Al-Qaeda ties to Saudi Arabia, and worse, with all the proven Al-Qaeda ties to our own CIA, just who the heck is threatening who? If this terrorist network is as vast as reported, clearly Saudi Arabia ought to be next in the war on terror. Of course we know that will never happen.

I think there ought to be a war on intelligence.

I just reported on Bush's new Executive Order 13462, another power grab. Isn't this just more of the same?

www.navytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

To answer your question the threat would come from the enemy who only has a presence in Iraq thanks to the botched occupation of Iraq . Project for New American Century my ass the Neo Cons cared more about asset stripping then the people of Iraq and winning the War on Terror .

I in know way think that it is the same threat that the war was sold on instead I am just answering your question for the sake of discussion .

Otherwise this just seems to be a part of the political games that have been played since the dems took control of Congress. In this case its putting the dems appeasement of there supporters to bed once and for all. The appeasement being the so called attempted to tie funding of the war to a timetable for a US withdrawl.

Even thou time has moved on since the partisan fighting of funding the war the White House is naturally still looking for leverage.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Iraq is a HUGE threat to the United States. The inconcieveable amount of money that has been wasted there will be responsible for the collapse of the US economy and will have a huge effect on the global economy. The psychological and physical damage done to millions of todays youth will not go away. Iraq could potentially bring about another civil war in the US if things continue down the same path. It is a huge threat.

It really is insanity when you sit and look at it. Why is it worth the destruction of our own nation? How many millions of lives have been affected, and for what? So we can pay 300% more at the pump? So Bush could watch Saddam hang? What the hell was it for? I am sure the Iraqi's are grateful for all of our help.

It just sickens me to think of just how much damage Bush has done since he has been in office. Not just to the US, but to the entire world.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

This reminds me of the Tom Clancy novel "Clear and Present Danger"

The magic words that make people who don't know any better say "oh, well that's OK then, if they represent a danger, the pres. can do what he likes"

Is there anything more insidious than this type of propaganda?

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Interesting comments, all of you.

Doesn't anyone notice how this article curiously found its way to all the military sites? More brainwashing by the military to empower its soldiers into believing they are doing the right thing, no matter what Congress says?

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Starred! Flagged!

Mods I posted this as well-you can close my thread. This is more Amazing Dictatorial nonsense from our Decider, deciding for everyone that he wants to keep screwing our country at all costs. Who is going to stop this tyrant?!?

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
No... Iraq is a huge threat to bush minor and his cronies because if (and when we pull out) we will then and only then begin to see the level or graft, corruption and out and out theft of our nations resources on a scale that will leave us not only breathless, but so weakened militarily as to be a straw dog because of the amount of equipment wasted and not replaced.

new topics

top topics

join