It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget global warming: Welcome to the new Ice Age

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Forget global warming: Welcome to the new Ice Age

www.nationalpost.com

Snow cover over North America and much of Siberia, Mongolia and China is greater than at any time since 1966.

The U.S. National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) reported that many American cities and towns suffered record cold temperatures in January and early February. According to the NCDC, the average temperature in January "was -0.3 F cooler than the 1901-2000 (20th century) average."

China is surviving its most brutal winter in a century. Temperatures in the normally balmy south were so low for so long that some middle-sized cities went days and even weeks without electricity because once power lines had toppled it was too cold or too icy to repair them.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
So much for global warming. The ice is back, records are falling, people are freezing all over the world. Ice is thicker than 10 years ago. Can we finally put the charade of global warming to rest? Will people finally start using their own mind and see that global warming is the ultimate conspiracy!!!!! They are controlling what you do, where you do it, how you do....all in the name of global warming. Whats scarier, is people openly embrace this mind control and root for it!!!!!! For a conspiracy web page.....why can;t we see the biggest conspiracy since Y2K???? First they got inside our computers....now they are getting deep into our lives. Our kids come home from school upset over the fact that the earth will be a barren waste land for them. They are going after the youth with this one.....unfortunately the learned adults are helping...anyway they can.....

Go lemmings...run.....run......run I say!

www.nationalpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
This should really annoy Melatonin.......but it would not be a global warming post, without all his nice charts and graphs.

Actually the guy is really smart, I have learned a lot from him (assuming its a him and I know I should not do that).

We just differ in opinions because thats all global warming is of course......an opinion.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by traderonwallst

One severe winter does not debunk glbal warming. The weather all over the planet is getting weirder by the year - mudslides, flooding, drought. Ice caps are rapidly receding - all the research is there for anyone to browse. You must have some serious holdings in the carbon sector, huh?

J.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
For those of us that are old enough to remember, the theory of Global Cooling is not new. The 70’s sprouted innumerable “experts” that postulated – nay prophesied – that the Earth was going to turn into a big skating rink in a few generations. Books and TV specials abounded. This hysteria died down for a while and then re-birthed like a phoenix with the warning of an impending global furnace.

It’s funny how, despite our pretenses and self-admiration for how advanced and enlightened we are, that we still behave like cave men. The Earth shifts and changes and we cannot explain it to our satisfaction. Therefore we immediately attempt to propitiate the “Gods” of the unknown by offering due sacrifice. Once upon a time it was virgins, now it’s SUV’s. Still such simple little minds we have. Attempting to understand and predict the Universe and believing that we can influence it by our own appropriate actions and displays of righteousness.

Who really knows what’s going to happen? Who can truthfully say what the Cosmos will become? .

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I have noticed this crazy cold weather even here in the Australian summer, plus the winter in the US (i was there for 5 weeks) and most places had snow and were saying its the first time they had snow at that time in 12 years.

I believe that global warming is a potential threat, however, i have never seen it as the world cooking itself. I had always envisioned something like the movie "The Day After Tomorrow".

Global warming melting ice which screws with the ocean currents which in turn deliver colder weather and by domino effect, VOILA ice age. Maybe not to the extent of the previous one, but 'global fridge' may be closer.

[edit on 25/2/2008 by SilentShadow]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Go lemmings...run.....run......run I say!

LOL Ive been saying this since the begining. Its a natural cycle the earth goes through and we humans cannot do anything about it. Sounds like the 60s again yes.

With that being said I think we should still find better cleaner energy sources. It doesnt hurt to keep our house clean

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
That may be true, but 2007 was the greatest year on record for the recede of the north pole ice sheet. Global warming will bring greater snowfall, in fact it really messes with weather like that, causing greater and more powerfull storms. Its the average global temperature that glboal warming refers to, not localized weather, and even then a changed of a few degrees is very very serious. I live in Calgary AB, and the weather has been FUBAR this year, got some friends down east who say its getting colder, but due to global currents, heating elsewhere can actually cool in other places. Either way I don't care what people say about global warming, no one can deny there is at least a chance it is real, and at least a possiblity it is by our actions. Given worst case scenerio's , shouldnt we do something just INCASE it is real.

Besides oil WILL run out, sooner or later. I've always wondered what we are going to do for plastics and other petrol products once weve burned all the oil away...

But in any case, why not ween ourselves off now. Times of duress speed up rsearch, I mean look how far we went in from 1937-1945 technology wise. We are going to have to R&D this technology one day anyways, why not do it now, while we might still save the planet. And worst case, all these knew industries would STIMULATE THE ECONOMY. We wouldnt want that now would we?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Oh an one more thing.

Fighting global warming would actaully do more for this "war on terror", than either war has, it would cut off the main sources of funding for terrorist groups. Much more effective then randomly invading countries, especially when you start invading countries that didnt have Islamic terrorist cells in them until AFTER you invaded...

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
if we are going into an ice age then why is it scorching HOT in winter in Texas?!?!?...today was quite hot and sunny!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Ok folks,
Let's use our heads here. Global warming causes a loss of ice in the poles. That ice is released as water. The water dilutes the thermohaline conveyor belt, which causes the world to cool down. It's a homeostatic system. It's pretty simple.

The question is not whether Global Warming is happening or not, or even what the result is; "A New Ice Age". The question is, what can we do about it. That's the philosophical debate; whether or not there is anything we are doing to cause it. Now I believe there are normal cycles of warming and cooling, because like I said, it's a homeostatic system.

However I also believe that we are causing the cycle to accelerate, and prematurely at that. There are always accelerations in the transitional periods, but I believe we are causing this one to pop up prematurely.

So regardless of where you sit on this debate, let's not muddy the waters by assuming there is some sort of Warming vs Cooling debates anywhere except the Junior High School Cafeteria.

Added Links

[edit on 25-2-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I think the data on global cooling has not been given enough time to see if it is a bigger threat. A few months of diminished solar output isn't going to change global temperatures that much I believe. At least not enough to convince too many people that global cooling is a bigger problem than global warming.

I believe solar activity or solar output is going to pick up with the next solar cycle we are about to start into. That will make the planet hotter. We may have to wait a few years before the sun dims again. Then it may take a few more years to really know which factor is the biggest one. Global greenhouse gases or the level of solar output from the sun. For now I know there is a lot of money to be made for companies to talk about manmade greenhouse gases and building renewable energy or cleaner technologies so I think we'll be going that route regardless.

Ten years from now if the whole planet is getting a lot colder with glaciers advancing around the world, we can definitely say the planet is experiencing global cooling. I'm just wondering what would be a bigger disaster? Crops failing due to global cooling or coastal cities getting flooded due to runaway greenhouse gases? Those who are ready to disregard any contrary evidence are acting the same way most scientists acted when the theory was first proposed that an asteroid or comet destroyed the dinosaurs. It didn't fit their theories so they denied it and laughed it away when they first heard about it.

It would be great for mankind if we could moderate the temperature of the Earth by limiting greenhouse gases if we know for certain that is a bigger factor than the level of solar output. The Earth will be receiving a lot less solar energy several years from now. I for one do not have as much faith in computer simulations showing Earth's temperature to climb as much as some do. Many computer simulations have been wrong before and it wouldn't take much to make them wrong again.

[edit on 25-2-2008 by orionthehunter]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
You didnt mention it, but the Suns activities as of late definatly need to gain more attention. We are coming out of a solar minimum (Period of time when solar activty is at its lowest point). This minimum, however, was more active than most solar maximums, begging the question what will this next maximum, peaking around 2012 (I know... i know) will be be like. Slightly unrelated but since you mentioned the sun, not a factor at all in global warming or cooling, as considering the scope of the sun, any temperature flucations that could be felt on earth would be much more drastic then a few degrees.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
There are many conflicting stories stating there is either global warming or global cooling. One may even be causing the other but we all gotta admit these are strange days weather wise.
In Queensland we are less than a week away from the end of summer and last weekend saw the first couple of days of much over 30C. We are supposed to be in the middle of a record breaking drought yet over 70% of the state has been flooded over the past few weeks.
Tasmania even saw snow on the weekend. Not really common for this time of year.
No disrepect to him, but it will only be a matter of time now before Ozweatherman comes on and explains in technical terms how this is all normal.
G.W. , G.C., HAARP or otherwise, I personally feel there is too much on the News and too many threads here to think there is nothing odd going on.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
Ok folks,
So regardless of where you sit on this debate, let's not muddy the waters by assuming there is some sort of Warming vs Cooling debates anywhere except the Junior High School Cafeteria.

Junior High School Cafeteria? Are you kidding?
This debate might not be on the front page of the New York Times (yet) but it expands far beyond the boundaries you have delineated. The fact that such a growing debate exists ( and it does) should give one pause to think and consider what is really going on here and who really knows what they’re talking about. There ARE serious researchers and scientists contending that Global Warming is in error and that Global Cooling is the real reality. And further, these two paradigms are in opposition. I concede that a third camp is also emerging that contends that one begets the other ( in whatever order). The question then remains: Who do you believe and why?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Tenebrous

Thans for reminding me. If we look at the temps on our neighboring planets, they too have been increasing. As I have said before, our carbon emissions cannot be blamed for that can they?

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
i thought global warming ultimately is supposed to throw everything off balance, allowing for more radical or extreme events to occur. meaning...lower and/or higher temps, more or less snow or rain, more earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, more natural disaster events.

typically to every extreme one way, it's the other in a different part of the world, overall. it's all about averages when time will tell.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I'll do a quick summary since what I've read seems to be missing or in bits and pieces.

The level of solar activity (number of sunspots on the sun at one time) seems to correspond with higher levels of solar energy being put out from the sun. This is similiar to being in front of a fire burning bigger and brighter. Earth and the other planets have been experiencing a lot of this lately. The other planets have experienced global warming as well. Currently the sun is at a minimum of activity of sunspots (just coincides with much colder weather in the northern hemisphere in many areas). However scientists are expecting another solar cycle to pick up at any moment and they expect another busy cycle. I think some are wondering if we're going to skip the cycle. Anyway at a minimum the solar cycle after this one we expect will result in a level of solar output a lot less than we have experienced here on Earth in over 100 to 200 years. By 2040, the planet may very well be getting very cold. Unless as some are arguing that the level of gases in our atmosphere far outweigh the level of solar output the Earth is getting from the sun. They are simply arguing that mankind has a greater effect on the weather than the sun does. We'll see who is right in another 10 years.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Global warming is made up. It is a multi billion dollar industry and there are a lot of people who want to get rich. Like the people selling carbon credits to the idiots dumb enough to buy into that. Why is it that Al Gore, a political figure started speaking this to the public and not the scientists if it were true? Do the research, the earth has experienced much warmer and much colder weather through out its life and it has very little to do with carbon dioxide emissions or anything man made. What it does have to do with is the sun. All of the people that buy into this crap now will look back 5 years down the road and realize they were duped into believing this garbage. They have been keeping records of weather for how long?

[edit on 26-2-2008 by bakednutz]

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
No one knows for sure if solar activity makes a difference for sure on Earths temperature, it is more of a threat due to mass cornal ejections or something of that type, sending an EMP of worse get plasma itself ourway.

It is however, often speculated and never disproven, that the Mauder minimum (an exceptionally low period of solar activity in the 17th or 18th century) was responsible for the "Little Ice Age" (a period of weird and cold weather) but no direct proof has been found.

[edit on 25-2-2008 by Tenebrous]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join