It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs Buzz the White House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
But it was in 1952. ...got your attention though right?

Now I know that it's old news and it's in almost every UFO documentary but it has never been explained! Being a UFO believer, I use this case as an example all the time. When people say," Why don't they land on the white house lawn?" You can reply,"They just about did !!!!" And show them this footage and the News Paper headlines. It is the best case I can think of to argue that all UFO's are not secret US technology. This incident was a supreme embarrassment to our government and military. They scrambled jets to chase the UFOs, the UFOs disappeared, the jets left, the UFOs came back!!! This video says July 12th. But in July 1952 it went on and off for days. The skies above the nation's capital were crowded with UFOs darting here and there, over the White House, over the Capitol Building, over the Pentagon! Imagine if this happened today!

I don't understand how this case is swept under the rug in consciousness of America. I think most of the public is unaware it happened. I know I got excited when Fife Symington (govenor of AZ) went public and said that the Phoenix lights were ,"not of this world". But really this buzzing the white house video is the ultimate unexplained, well documented case. There were thousands of witnesses, photographs and movie footage taken, planes scrambled to intercept, it was tracked on multiple radars, over the most restricted air space in the world. Yet people belittle and laugh at UFO witnesses to this day. Was this swamp gas, weather balloons, or mass hallucinations... hmmm?

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I believe people today still ridicule the UFO field today because there isn't enough solid evidence today to really convince the average joe who doesn't usually research many fascinating UFO cases.

I find this case a very intriguing one because of the multitude of military and civilian accounts. The pictures are very interesting to go along with it.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I think there's enough credible evidence.

An eyewitness can convince a jury of murder in a courtcase.

But concerning UFOs suddenly it's no credible proof??

www.wanttoknow.info...

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I'm almost sure that that the video is a reconstruction made for a documentary, and besides, if i'm correct, some part or the White House, visible in the video, shouldn't exist on 1952:i think that Gazrok and/or IssacKoi will provide a more detailed explanation about it: but the whole case is really intriguing.

A massive buildup of sightings over the United States in 1952, especially in July, alarmed the Truman administration. On 19 and 20 July, radar scopes at Washington National Airport and Andrews Air Force Base tracked mysterious blips. On 27 July, the blips reappeared. The Air Force scrambled interceptor aircraft to investigate, but they found nothing. The incidents, however, caused headlines across the country. The White House wanted to know what was happening, and the Air Force quickly offered the explanation that the radar blips might be the result of "temperature inversions." Later, a Civil Aeronautics Administration investigation confirmed that such radar blips were quite common and were caused by temperature inversions.

ufologie.net...

Diagram of the UFOs tracked by Washington's National Airport radar scope on July 20, 1952. At A, 7 objects approach the Nation's capital from the south. At B, some are seen over the White House and Capitol. At C, they appear over Andrews Air Force Base. At D, one UFO tracks an airliner. At E, one is seen to make a sharp right-angular turn. Source: UFOs - A Pictorial History From Antiquity to the Present, by David C. Knight. (McGraw Hill Book Co., 1979.)
ufologie.net...

July 1952 - Washington, D.C., Area Radar-Visual Sightings and Related Events.
www.project1947.com...

UFO REPORTS - 1952
www.project1947.com...

1952 Washington D.C. UFO incident - Wikipedia entry
en.wikipedia.org...

The 1952 Sighting Wave
www.nicap.org...

Saucer Hit By Jet Gunfire; Fragment Recovered
Washington, D.C.
July 23, 1952
www.nicap.org...

J.M.P. / letter to President Ronald Reagan
www.holysmoke.org...

FOIA: Washington D.C. Multiple Sightings July 23, 1952
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Download [.PDF file]
foia.abovetopsecret.com...

UFOs over DC in 1952, Jets Scrambled

FILES UFOs and the White House The History Channel [.PDF file]

THE CUFON 1952 CIA UFO-RELATED DOCUMENT SAMPLER
www.cufon.org...

Project Blue Book
MAXW-PBB11-915
www.bluebookarchive.org...

IsaacKoy entry on Top 100 UFO Cases - Revealed! thread

[edit on 13/2/2008 by internos]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Oh shucks and I was just about to break into a chorus of "They're coming to take him away ho ho they're coming to take him away ha ha to the funny farm....where life is beautiful all the time... and I just can't wait till the nice young men in their big white coats come to take him away hee hee ho ho ha ha...etc. Oh well nice thought while it lasted.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
One of my favorite videos made is UFO's It Has Begun with Rod Serling. They go over the UFOs over Washington DC with real interviews from military personel that were in charge during the incidents. Hard to discount military eyewitnesses.

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Thanks for the post internos. Wow!! I never knew they shot a hunk of a saucer clean off! Quoting from this National Investigations on Aerial Phenomenon report here,

" Timothy Good : During a recorded interview with C. W. Fitch and George Popovitch in November 1961, Wilbert Smith admitted that a number of fragments from UFOs had been recovered and analyzed by his research group, including one that had been shot from a UFO near Washington, DC, in July 1952. Said Smith: I was informed that the disk was glowing and was about two feet in diameter. A glowing chunk flew off and the pilot saw it glowing all the way to the ground."

It goes on to say they recovered it. "...There was iron rust—the thing was in reality a matrix of magnesium orthosilicate. The matrix had great numbers—thousands—of 15-micron spheres scattered through it."

Even more evidence than I originally thought. They even have a piece of one!

If the You Tube footage above is a re enactment , my bad, I thought it was genuine. Can anyone confirm or deny that? Either way - The case is still amazing.

[edit on 2/13/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigwhammy
Now I know that it's old news and it's in almost every UFO documentary but it has never been explained!

Hi Bigwhammy,

Are you referring to the (1) video, or (2) the Washington National radar/visual episodes of 1952 themselves?

(1) The video

The video in the OP supposedly showing "UFOs Buzz the White House" is NOT genuine footage from the 1952 episode.

As suspected by Internos, the video is a reconstruction.

The video was used as a reconstruction of the 1952 Washington National episode in Nick Cook's documentary "Secret Evidence", which was shown on British television on Channel 4 on 13th October 2005.

(By the way, this isn't the first time that a reconstruction from that documentary has been posted on Youtube as if it were real footage - the same thing happened a year or two ago with the reconstruction in the same documentary of the Lonnie Zamora sighting, see below).

The relevant clip can be found approximately 34 minutes and 40 seconds into the documentary and again at 36 minutes and 10 seconds. The full documentary is online on Google Video at the link below:

Google Video Link

It may be easier to locate the relevant clip in a partial extract from the documentary on Youtube at the link below. The relevant clip appears at 6 minutes 40 seconds and again at 8 minutes 5 seconds.

The video reconstructions in that documentary aren't exactly faithful to the original accounts.

Indeed, several of them are pretty inaccurate.

For a particulary good example of the inaccuracies in the documentary, fast forward to 51.11 minutes into the documentary and watch the bit about the Socorro sighting by Lonnie Zamora of an egg-shaped object.

The Lonnie Zamora's 1964 Socorro incident was one of the few sightings to get the full treatment in the documentary - a reconstruction, complete with actor ... and fairly impressive computer generated imagery (impressive at least by the usual standards of British documentaries). It's just a shame that the computer generated imagery had no resemblance whatsoever to the description given by Lonnie Zamora. The object zipping around the sky in the relevant reinactment was a classic disc-shaped UFO, which looked nothing like the numerous descriptions and sketches provided by Zamora. This is not a simply a minor gripe about an inaccuracy in the imagery used - Nick Cook proceeded to determine the probable identity of the object seen by Zamora on the basis of this (incorrect) shape."

(2) The Washington National radar/visual episodes of 1952 themselves

An explanation of these sightings was offered by the US Air Force at the time - temperature inversions / mirages.

That explanation has not been universally accepted...

I thought you might be interested to know that this case featured as Case 8 in my article "Top 100 UFO Cases - Revealed!". (That article features a list of the 100 UFO cases most frequently discussed in a sample of 963 UFO and SETI books that I've read during the last few years).

My Chronology (referred to in that post, and available as a free download) included a list of references to discussions of this incident in 171 different books.

For ease of reference (since that post is rather long) I'll cut and paste the relevant entry below - which includes a link to the US Air Force Project Blue Book files on the incident (which you may need to fast forward to the document beginning at this link to find the detailed official explanation.

Kind Regards,

Isaac

8. 171 references : Washington National sightings (July 1952)

Several radar/visual sightings occur near Washington DC during July 1952 and receive considerable publicity. (Commonly referred to as “the Washington National sightings”).

Official US documents about this incident can be found online. See the material on the ambitious “Project Blue Book Archive” website in relation to Project Blue Book Case Number 1649 and Project Blue Book Case Number 1661, which commences at the links provided (and continues on the pages which follow them).

This incident came second in a survey in 1965 by Jacques Vallee of the opinion of various UFO groups as to the most significant UFO sightings.

This incident came seventh in an online poll conducted in March/April 2006 by Paul Kimball of “the UFO case with the ‘best evidence’ ever”. This incident has also featured in a list by Paul Kimball of his own nominations for the top 10 cases.

This incident also featured in a document (“the Rockefeller Briefing Document”) endorsed by Dr Mark Rodeghier (President of CUFOS), Richard Hall (Chairman of FUFOR) and Walter Andrus (President of MUFON) as containing “the best available evidence for the existence of UFOs”.

Furthermore, this incident has featured in the following:

• a list by Don Berliner of “the top 10 cases of World Ufology” in an interview made available on the UFO UpDates discussion List on 14 January 2007.
  • a list by James Carrion, the International Director of the Mutual UFO Network, of the “top 10 cases” in an interview in 2006.
  • a list of Dennis Balthaser’s “ten favourite cases” in an article in the MUFON Journal in 2003.

This incident is discussed on the ATS.com forums in Thread 133876.

For links to various relevant documents and articles online (including Project Blue Book documents and CAA report) see:
www.nicap.org...
www.cufon.org...

(For references to relevant discussions in various UFO books see Koi Chronology 1952.0700)

[edit on 13-2-2008 by IsaacKoi]

posted on Feb, 13 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Isaac,

The youtube post was deceptive. I thought it was original. Thanks for clearing up the video question and for your scholarship. Here's an actual picture
Now those aren't temperature inversions. I think they used the photos and made it look like it was moving for that clip. This is still an amazing case.

This was my first thread. ATSers wanting more info please refer to the thread by Garzok

[edit on 2/13/2008 by Bigwhammy]

new topics

top topics

join