It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fireball Over Polk County

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
POLK COUNTY, FL -- A Polk County man videotapes a strange fireball in the sky over Polk County. Rhett Marcotes and his family saw the phenomenon on January 7th just before dusk outside his home in Davenport. Marcotes and his wife grabbed their video camera and began filming. The results were stunning.

Marcotes says they couldn't figure out what it was. The filmed it for about nine minutes until it passed the tree line. They showed the tape to co-workers, friends, and family. Marcotes says everyone has a theory to the fireball over Polk County. Some said space junk, others said meteors, and some even said it was aliens.

Marcotes and his family weren't the only ones to see the fireball. Several people called 9-1-1 in Polk County to report the fire in the sky. The sheriff's office provided us copies of the tapes and you can hear them here.

We took the tape to two professors at Florida Southern College in Lakeland. That's about 30 miles from where Marcotes saw the fireball. Doctors Mossayeb Jamshid and Peter Bias say they don't believe the video shows a celestial event. They say the contrail and brightness suggest jets or engines of some sort enormously high in the atmosphere.

We also showed a copy to Stephen Nipper. He's the Manager of Planetarium and Senior Programs at the Museum of Science and Industry in Tampa.

Steve Nipper- Museum of Science and Industry:
"This video is a good example of how an ordinary object, under slightly unusual viewing conditions can present a spectacular visual (and video) image. It is definitely a condensation trail, or contrail, from a jet aircraft. There were no re-entries of space debris on that day, and no reports which
I could find in the scientific or aeronautical communities of a significant meteor entry. "

"In addition, at around 6 minutes into the video, there is a second, fainter and lower, but similar object crossing the field of view perpendicular to the path of the first object.
Also, the duration of the sighting indicates that the object was moving at a slow speed in comparison to a meteor or orbiting space debris. The speed at which the object crossed the sky is very typical of a high flying jet."

"The combination of upper atmosphere conditions which produced contrails which rapidly evaporated, along with a low angle of the Sun and the smoke in the air from the fire which got out of control, lit the contrail brightly and reddened it significantly."

Well in the end they determined it was a UFO which means they just don't know what it was.Any thoughts from anyone here?

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It sure doesn't look like anything in control, it's falling.

Could it be that satellite that was reportedly on it's way back to earth?

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The speed is very slow for something entering the earth's atmosphere fast enough to burn up.

In fact, it seems to be travelling at the speed of a conventional aircraft.
One leaving a contrail lit by the setting sun. Giving the impression of "fire".

Edit : Oops, I see this has already been explained.

[edit on 2/7/2008 by eaglewingz]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Great find Capt.
I have seen many low "earth-grazing" meteors and this is not one of them. Three reasons:

1) The duration of brightness.
2) The dual contrail.
3) Meteors and space junk will typically break up upon entering our atmosphere, this does not.

I've never seen a plane or jet illuminated that bright, but I suppose it's possible and I think that it is too soon for the (out of control) satellite (late Feb./March). I'm going with unknown for now.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
You know the TU-24 meteor that they discovered at the last minute that they said was going to just miss earth? then the lack of info and data by NASA was a bit strange plus the lack of attention by the media about that one?
I wonder if we may have sent something up to move that bad boy out of the way.This could be a that craft on re entry. just a thought....I could be way off.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Yep I am very close to this.. I didnt see it today.. Was so busy..
But my sister called me at work to tell me about this..

So I get home here to do some research on this.. Ive been warning my family of the doom we are all facing here..
But I try not to fear monger, or make things worse..

We have our backup food supplies that will last us about 3 months...

But if something hits.. I dont see any part of my preperation comming in handy.. If it hits.. Its going to destroy us..

All those but those elites, and scientists who know whats up..
They are safe now.. But the rest of us are not going to be so lucky..

Honestly I will be glad when its over, I can move on.. And take my energy into the next plane.. I have no fear of death!!!

Love those around you, and spend some time with those you love..

This fireball passed not but 20 miles from my house!!!!!!!!!!

Pray for me!

This is in my backyard!

Its very cloudy here today in Pasco county.. I cant see the sky to well..
Over cast.. but if I see anything I will let you all know..

I have my video camera at the ready..

And will record anything that passes threw my sky..

I will keep you up to date...
But I need to update myself here...

What are the sources so far???

[edit on 7-2-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Hmmm just about an hour ago the sky was full of clouds.. I just went outside, and now the sky is almost clear!!
Thats good, Im going to set my chair up on my roof, and keep an eye to the sky tonight..

Agin If I am able to get any pictures, or first hand info..
You will all be the first to know!!!

Got my eye out.. And looking out for my fellow peeps!

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

This is likely some kind of test rocket that we fired. Maybe an ICBM test? I've seen a giant fireball land, and it didn't take anywhere near 10 minutes to cross the sky.

The video story on the right of this link has an interview with some scientists/astronomers/metor experts who say it is not a meteor and is most likely some kind of rocket.
www.tampabays10.com...

My vote is terrestrial in origin, classified. You can also guarantee that something like this hanging out for over 10 minutes at such a high altitude was watched in much closer detail by more than one government. If we don't learn more about it from official sources, it's because we're not supposed to.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifestudent
reply to post by CaptGizmo

This is likely some kind of test rocket that we fired. Maybe an ICBM test? I've seen a giant fireball land, and it didn't take anywhere near 10 minutes to cross the sky.
s=rss&storyid=73320[/url]

Thanks very much for the link to the main story!

But a test rocket? My question would be who shot this rocket, and what is it doing there? Mac Dill Airforce Base have any answers made up yet to release to the public..
This is sertinly very strange sighting.. What is that? Looks like its being propelled by some kind of duel engines.. We see many jets in the sky here in this area, nothing special, only this one was BURNING on fire..!

I would like to sit back and see how this plays out.. Watch the video and see for yourself.. Its a Real UFO! Is it a Rock? Is it a Rocket? Is it the firey Hand of God? I dont know but its kewl!

[edit on 7-2-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hmmm....a rocket well maybe but, like zysin5 said who fired it off? in that area of the country someone would have seen it lift off. it's not like its Edwards AFB or Nellis test range. The professors they interviewed said what ever it is is flying at an very,very high altitude.They said they have never seen a contrail like that from a plane or a rocket before.Thats why its classified as a true UFO.

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I live in Tampa by Busch Gardens, and have seen a few unidentified things around here. Sit out on the deck with GF all the time looking up (she laughs at me
) Real sorry to say I missed this one.
I believe all or most of you know there has always been curious things in the sky around here.
F'rinstance, if you google earth Busch Gardens you will see the remains of a WWII air base most people don't even know existed. The NW termination of one of the runways has had a couple of ufo reports associatd with it.
I'm just sayin'

[edit on 7-2-2008 by LAUGHING-CAT]

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
The professors they interviewed said what ever it is is flying at an very,very high altitude.They said they have never seen a contrail like that from a plane or a rocket before.

Ummm, no they don't say that. In fact they identify it as a jet of some sort.

(emphasis added)
We took the tape to two professors at Florida Southern College in Lakeland. That's about 30 miles from where Marcotes saw the fireball. Doctors Mossayeb Jamshid and Peter Bias say they don't believe the video shows a celestial event. They say the contrail and brightness suggest jets or engines of some sort enormously high in the atmosphere...

"This video is a good example of how an ordinary object, under slightly unusual viewing conditions can present a spectacular visual (and video) image. It is definitely a condensation trail, or contrail, from a jet aircraft

posted on Feb, 7 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

"This video is a good example of how an ordinary object, under slightly unusual viewing conditions can present a spectacular visual (and video) image. It is definitely a condensation trail, or contrail, from a jet aircraft. There were no re-entries of space debris on that day, and no reports which
I could find in the scientific or aeronautical communities of a significant meteor entry. "

There is the answer. Many clips like this have appeared on ATS, and they are all contrails lit by the setting (or rising) sun. Try a search, and you will see how similar all these clips are. This one is certainly brighter than most, but it's still just a contrail from an aircraft at high altitude.

edit - eaglewingz beat me to it while I was typing!

[edit on 7-2-2008 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Right.. After taking a long look at this video.. It got me thinking what kind of craft would look like a flying fireball!
I came to the thought of a very high flying concord type jets..

They get so high, and move so fast that the bottom of the crafts are on fire!! Much like re-entry for the shuttle crafts comming back to earth.
Some concords I have read about bounce off points high in the air..
And travle to far places in record speed..
However I have never seen one around here.. And I keep my eye to the sky as often as I can...
So Im willing to say this is a concord type craft, and we are getting a look at it from a different angle. When seen from the ground, it very well looks like a fireball screaming threw the sky..

But good looking out people!!! Thats what I like about this place.. We come together and get stuff figured out! Or to the best of our ability!

[edit on 8-2-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I live in Polk County.................

Iowa!

OP, you had me peeved for a minute. I thought..."Why haven't I seen this in the local media and most of all, HOW DID I MISS IT!?"

As for my opinion, I don't think it was aliens.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Interesting, This happened on January 7th and this is the first we hear of it, am I missing something.

I lived in Davenport and I must say I chuckled when the man said he was on his way to Walmart, bought back good memories anywho, I checked out NUFORC and I thought this was interesting:

On the 7th there was also a report from Stephenville, Texas about a Disk shaped object for 45 min.
There was a report from Sebring and Homestead Florida. the one from Homestead reported there were small objects arranged around a large object, bright lights (30 min.)

On the 8th another report about Stephenville Texas and it said, my family has pictures of UFO in Stephenville, Texas and tried to get in touch with newsroom but had trouble. Oval in clouds. Sky same except in this large area where this was over a field. Said very distinctly visible.

Seems like there was a fairly decent amount of activity in those States over a 24 hour period.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
Interesting, This happened on January 7th and this is the first we hear of it, am I missing something.

I lived in Davenport and I must say I chuckled when the man said he was on his way to Walmart, bought back good memories anywho, I checked out NUFORC and I thought this was interesting:

On the 7th there was also a report from Stephenville, Texas about a Disk shaped object for 45 min.
There was a report from Sebring and Homestead Florida. the one from Homestead reported there were small objects arranged around a large object, bright lights (30 min.)

On the 8th another report about Stephenville Texas and it said, my family has pictures of UFO in Stephenville, Texas and tried to get in touch with newsroom but had trouble. Oval in clouds. Sky same except in this large area where this was over a field. Said very distinctly visible.

Seems like there was a fairly decent amount of activity in those States over a 24 hour period.

You know after reading your post it got me thinking.....with all of the ufo being seen all over the globe these day's I wonder if Darknights thread is coming true....this is starting to get a little freaky now check this out here to see what I mean.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Let me know what you guys think about this after you check it out.

[edit on 8-2-2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Seen as how i posted there i shall also post here in a more polite fashion.

Plane's make contrail's.

Contrail's reflect the sunset.

The sunset is normally orange red.

The contrail we see here is orange red.

This is a plane with an orange and red contrail due to the reflection from the sunset.

Case solved thank you !

Take care .

Regards
Lee

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by observe50

I was thinking the same thing lol. I used to live in Davenport, right on Hwy 27!

Florida does have some bright and sunny days, especially compared to Oregon where I live now. I have seen some really cool looking effects made by the suns reflection on airplanes down there, and I think thats what we have here in this video.

[edit on 8-2-2008 by Xanfalcon]

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I dunno, it looks like trails Jets leave, but I am not too certain how that can be a jet, its too big and bright in that distance to be a jet, and I would think a jet in that distance would be moving much faster.

Whatever this is, its obviously a free falling object.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join