It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Just four days after pledging to open up his entire military file, President
Bush has reneged on the pledge, with "Administration officials declining
yesterday to commit to releasing further records" on top of the inconclusive
ones they have already released. Additionally, new charges have surfaced
that Bush actually deployed his Texas gubernatorial staff to destroy
As first reported by the Dallas Morning News, retired National Guard Lt.
Col. Bill Burkett said that, in 1997, Joe Allbaugh (chief of staff for
then-Governor Bush) told the National Guard chief to get the Bush file and
make certain "there's not anything there that will embarrass the governor."
Burkett said that a few days later at Camp Mabry in Austin, he "saw Mr.
Bush's file and documents from it discarded in a trash can."
While the White House has claimed the attack is baseless, Burkett's
credibility was bolstered today after the New York Times reported that he
made his complaint known right after the incident. In 1998, he sent a letter
to a member of the Texas State Senate saying Bush and his aides improperly
reviewed the file to "make sure nothing will embarrass the governor during
his re-election campaign." Burkett repeated in interviews this week that
Bush and his aides "ordered Guard officials to remove damaging information
from Mr. Bush's military personnel files."
Yesterday, the commander of the Alabama unit Bush claimed he served in
during his year-long absence said "[Bush] never did come to my squad. He was
never at my unit." Additionally, in a signed report, commanding officers in
Houston said Bush "has not been observed." In order to clear up the
controversy, the president would have to follow through on his Sunday pledge
to release all of his records rather than continue stonewalling.
Originally posted by Phoenix
The article this post is based on is just more regurgitation of the same old crap put out to the media by the dumocrats.
Here are several refuting articles on this now tired story,
The Boston Globe, which raised questions during the 2000 election about the president's service in the National Guard, now admits that its source of information is a man named Bob Fertig, a founder of Democrats.com. This vitriolic Web site accuses the president of everything from drug use while in the National Guard to current insanity -- for which it recommends invoking the 25th Amendment to remove him from office and actually offers a petition that visitors can sign to that effect.
But the NBC newsman never mentioned his network's own scoop, garnered just last week by White House correspondent David Gregory, who interviewed the ex-Alabama Guard commander who first claimed that Bush had gone AWOL from his unit in 2000.
Friday, Feb. 6, 2004 11:26 a.m. EST
Bush Guard Commander Recants AWOL Charge
The ex-military man who first launched charges during the 2000 presidential campaign that President Bush had gone AWOL from the National Guard has recanted his story.
Joe LeFevers, a member of the 187th in 1972, said he remembers seeing Bush in unit offices and being told that Bush was in Montgomery to work on Blount's campaign.
"I was going in the orderly room over there one day, and they said, `This is Lt. Bush,'" LeFevers said Tuesday. "They pointed him out to me ... the reason I remember it is because I associate him with Red Blount."
And specifically this article;
Officer Who Claims W Discarded Records Is A Bush-Hating Crackpot
Bill Burkett has an agenda just like the rest of his ilk.
VETERANS FOR PEACE
Veterans Working Together for Peace & Justice Through Non-violence. Wage Peace!
What do you say?
By Bill Burkett
Online Journal Contributing Writer
(when you read the rest of his article, come back and tell me he is an impartial reporter of facts - I don't think he is!