It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge demands cancer patient remove hat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Judge demands cancer patient remove hat

www.upi.com

SEATTLE, Jan. 14 (UPI) -- A Washington state judge was unapologetic after he threw a bald cancer victim out of his courtroom for refusing to remove her hat.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I cannot believe this!! Is this judge so high and mighty that he cannot let this lady have a little decency? How does this disrespect the court? Are we not above this sort of thing as a society anymore? I mean c'mon. When did it become so important for people to not wear hats. I still do not get why it is so disrespectful. Besides the cancer factor, people have to realize that times change and so does fashion. I just do not get why hats are such a sign of disrespect. Is it supposed to show shame that you have no cover on your head? What if someone just had surgery on their head and had a huge bandage around it and they had a hat to cover up. Is that still disrespectful?

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
If one wishes to see just how far a judge can go with there authority, watch judge judy on tv. This woman judge can be a one woman terrorist to all who mistakenly find themselves in front of her twisted brand of justice. Judges behavior can be questioned and dealt with if they act outside there capacity.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by WorldShadow

I believe a lot of those tv court shows are pre-scripted though. She is a wacko but she gets a ton of ratings. I just can't believe judges seem to be holier than thou when it comes to things like this. I think it is because they personally do not like hats and when they were growing up, no one would dare do this. Well, to that I say, times are changin'.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This judge is still living half a century ago, and as such cannot see how the world has changed.

People this close minded and blind should NOT be in the type of position this insecure, ridiculous judge.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

That is true. This judge obviously has a cold heart and no compassion. I feel sorry for anyone who has to step in front of him.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
what a horrible act, is it so horrible and offensive that this poor woman dident want everyone to be staring at her for being bald? what a repulsive show of power.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Judge judy was the 2nd highest paid female actress on tv next to prah.

43 million a year.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
There is a simple rule.

What ever the judge orders, you do.

It may seem harsh, but that's the way it is.

I can understand the woman's feelings and maybe if the woman had removed her hat, the judge might have had her put it back on, but refusing a judge's orders can land you in jail.

Being removed from the court room was really the better option.

apc

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'm surprised she made it into the courtroom with it on.

I've been arraigned by a judge like that before. They act that way because they can. Just do what they say and you'll all get along juuuuust fiiiiine.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
whats all the commotion about?? Rule 1 of court don't pi** the judge off and follow the rules ESPECIALLY if your the one on trial! If you go to the airport and they say take off the hat you don't say no i have cancer, heck no, you do it so you don't get cavity checked by the FBI looking for WMD's i think the judge was kind instead of having her remove it or yelling, he asked her to leave. Extremely appropriate instead of having them in contempt of court!

we should not bend the rules because of a persons "hurt" feelings, while everyone else is expected to follow the rules and laws of this country.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by engenerQ
we should not bend the rules because of a persons "hurt" feelings, while everyone else is expected to follow the rules and laws of this country.

I think this is true; however, I think we also need to show compassion. The tale of Samson losing his hair to Delilah had a universal theme. We all hate to lose our hair. It makes us feel weak, unattractive, etc. It can make us feel VULNERABLE; which is the point of the Samson tale, IMHO.

People going thru chemotherapy have enough trouble in their lives; why should they be forced to take off their hat? Just because a judge demands it, doesn't make it right. A judge can demand whatever they want to; it still doesn't make it right. What, a hat can destroy democracy, liberty and freedom? Oh pullease.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
well i believe the point of that take is a bit deeper say rooted in him being a Nazirite and telling Delilha of his secret(AKA. betrayal ). and later with his eyes gouged out and humiliated asking god for forgiveness and the strength for one last redeeming action....
but i say tomato...exc

im shure we all know ppl that have fought cancer some lost some won. But there is a line between hardships and an excuse to do whatever you want. i do not know what she was charged with but it seems to me that most small offenses require the person to act fairly outside the confines of the law. so if she was feeling that bad what could have happened could be unpaid tickets or could be minor theft.

i know if i had no hair(im 21) i would be very embarrassed b/c i do love mine. But who in there right mind would go to court and straight up refuse........ i mean if she said your honor i am extremely self concuss about my hair is there any way you could make an exception. i don't think to many people could refuse a request like that.

but straight law it was disrupting the court so that means its contempt just as the same as not begin quiet or not cooperating...AKA civil contempt usualy punished by a fine or short stint in jail........ throwing her out WAS compassionate.

The lady and the judge butted eads she pushed the judge pushed back big suprise she lost.

In the US disobeying a judge in court of a reasonable request is ILLEGAL
See: Contempt

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Most court proceedings I have attended there are protocols
in place to NOT show respect for the judge but to show respect
for the judicial system. When a judge enters the courtroom,
the balif demands that "All Rise". This means everyone
unless you are in a wheelchair or have no legs. Just sitting there
being lazy and disrespectful is not gonna cut it.

Next is the sign outside the courtroom that says ALL cell phones
have to be turned off while in court. With some courts backed
up with cases a year or more, the cell phone issue is in place
so nobody's time is wasted on interruptions.

Also all hats are removed to prevent distractions in the courtroom.
Another reason is cuz they can hinder the person behind you
from seeing the actions in the courtroom. And hats are removed
to show respect for the system.

Even Tu-Pac's hat was removed when he made court appearances.

Every one has to abide by the courts rules to promote a good steady
workflow so that cases can be tried in all fairness. If some are
bypassed then the other side can appeal and win due to court
regulations were not enforced.

Was it legal for the judge to do what he did ??? ..... YES

Was it demeaning to the woman ??? ..... NO .... it's the law.
The law doesn't distinguish between healthy and sick people.

new topics

top topics

join