It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dozens in Texas town report seeing UFO

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
STEPHENVILLE, Texas - In this farming community where nightfall usually brings clear, starry skies, residents are abuzz over reported sightings of what many believe is a UFO.

Several dozen people — including a pilot, county constable and business owners — insist they have seen a large silent object with bright lights flying low and fast. Some reported seeing fighter jets chasing it.

full story

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Symp EL

and of course no pics, but then again its not everyday you see UFO ebing chased by jets

ok, a little off topic here: how many believe in orbs? just insects? or paranormal energies?

i took a pic of 2 last night here in seattle

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Big Sky Country!

For those of you that have never taken the road trip, let me explain a couple of things to you about such places as Texas, New Mexico and Arazona.

The Atmosphier can be quite dry. This gives much more clarity of the vision at great lenghts because there's less "matter" vapor to make an object far off look less clear.

Also there is much less trees and such in most of those places, and the grounds can be quite flat. This creates a real awesome viewing point so that the sky is clear for miles around and nothing is as easily hidden.

It's the big sky country.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
It was a chinese party lantern..they have been known to fly in formation on the gulf stream and appear to be solid, but its just a trick of the eye

Originally posted by Symp EL
STEPHENVILLE, Texas - In this farming community where nightfall usually brings clear, starry skies, residents are abuzz over reported sightings of what many believe is a UFO.

Several dozen people — including a pilot, county constable and business owners — insist they have seen a large silent object with bright lights flying low and fast. Some reported seeing fighter jets chasing it.

full story

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
THEN LET ME RE-TORT MR ADMIN AND ANYONE ELSE FEELING THERE I.Q HAS BECOME LARGER THAN LIFE.....

Listen my good man/men/women.

Listen it's not all about pictures and video think about it ok ?

In the 1800's did they want video and picture's ?

No they did not exist silly me ha ha ha or did they ?

See what im getting at the power of mutliple actual human being's being able to capture this event with there mark one eyeball's is 100X more powerfull than any image.

Did the elders of time's gone bye pull out there Minolta Dimage 7'S and snap away ?

NO NO NO.

See this for what it is.

It is for us it is not against us.

More desired would be a mass of human being's looking at an event more than a image of the digital or film nature being laughed at.

Now maybe you understand my point !

Regards
Lee

[edit on 14-1-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The party lantern does not explain the low and fast part.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
According to the report, MUFON are on the way to the town for an investigation. This might be worth keeping an eye on. This amuses me though:

Maj. Karl Lewis, a spokesman for the 301st Fighter Wing at the Joint Reserve Base Naval Air Station in Fort Worth, said no F-16s or other aircraft from his base were in the area the night of Jan. 8, when most people reported the sighting.

Lewis said the object may have been an illusion caused by two commercial airplanes. Lights from the aircraft would seem unusually bright and may appear orange from the setting sun.

"I'm 90 percent sure this was an airliner," Lewis said. "With the sun's angle, it can play tricks on you."

How condescending is this?
If I was one of the people who had reported this I would be downright insulted! These poeple have lived there their entire lives, and never saw fit to report airliners before.

And the chinese lantern theory does not make sense in the context of this report. It was "low and slow" not in the gulf stream. It also seems to have been a darn sight bigger than a paper kite with a candle in it, wouldn't you say?

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
h3akalee - you do make a great point.

It would be nice if this story blows up - even without the pictures. My initial feeling here is this should not be something to fear, whether a true UFO or military craft not able to be recognized by civilians.

Now, in the case it was a military technology being used to create fear is another paranoid issue, so it's wise to look at it both ways.

In the event it was just an odd reflection created by the position of the sun, it just seems like this would be something easily debunked. The lack of this being verified certainly lends towards mystery - wishful thinking or game playing?

I trust multiple American witnesses (not to sound myopic.. I just happen to understand my fellow Americans best!) far more than any other source.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
This made the news all the way up here! (far north).

One of the crafts was allegedly a mile long and a half mile wide?

If the government is actually operating craft that large I am astonished. This sounds like a genuine E.T. craft.

I would love so much to think that the time has come for benevolent E.T.'s to do sky-sweeps and disclose their presence, but when I hear stories like this the first thing I think is government operation or 'bad' E.T.'s.

Not sure why I get that impression.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Also, I agree that the condescending explanations are laughable at best.

People are better off not even listening to this nonsense anymore.

Yeah... it was just a normal 'airliner', albeit an extremely massive one gliding at low altitude with abnormal light displays etc.

Yeah.... it was a chinese lantern. A mile long and half a mile wide.

Seriously: the nonsense is over. People know what they are seeing and when we read the reports, we know that they did not see regular airplanes etc.

It's nonsense! UFO's are out of the hands of rational extremists (people who will push for any rational explanation to deny the existence of the 'supernatural' or supra-technological.)

We have to stick by our guns and take these stories for what they are. Stories about UFO's from eye witnesses. It will never be proof enough for skeptics. So let's stick to what we know : UFO's are real: and then we can move into greater detail.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jainatorres
It was a chinese party lantern..they have been known to fly in formation on the gulf stream and appear to be solid, but its just a trick of the eye

LMAO!!! and where may I ask did you come to that conclusion LMAO thats is too funny. It may not be a UFO. But how does a Mile Wife, Half Mile Thick, Multiple light pattern sighting sound like a Chinese Lantern. WOW is all I can say

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver

Seriously: the nonsense is over. People know what they are seeing and when we read the reports, we know that they did not see regular airplanes etc.

I disagree,and for two reasons:

1. The AP report is worse than useless for determining what people actually saw. Critical details are left out. As someone who's been in the fray of some widely reported science/technology stories, I'm not at all surprised if the media gets nearly everything wrong.
  2. All the studies agree that people do NOT know what they see, by and large. About 80% of all UFO reports are misperceptions. People are no well-equipped perceptually to estimate the size and distance of objects in the sky. In many cases, it simply isn't possible. Here on ATS, we have people constantly putting forth very common objects such as aircraft landing lights as UFOs.

Until we have the facts, and someone carefully sorts though the witness statements and puts together a coherent timeline, we can't say whether what these people saw was a misperception or not. We may never know.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I still believe there is no way for a person to mistake a mile-long craft for a normal airplane.

I have seen multiple UFO's in my life and not a single one of them behaved 'normal' in any sense of the word. To this day, people will argue that I saw an airplane. I will agree that I might have seen government craft, or something like that : but the laymen explanations are now a joke to me.

It's not that I don't believe mistakes are made, but I know what an OBVIOUS UFO sighting is, and I know how often they are played off with ridiculous explanations. It's just a symptom of the extremist-rationalist world we live in.

I am so much more comfortable discussing UFO's with people who have actually seen them for this reason. It's a common ground that is hard to reach with anyone else because they will always look for a rational explanation even if it doesn't fit.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Yea come on, I would agree with you if it was just the lights..but it was solid too according to the witness's...its very hard to confuse something a mile big with a jet liner..people may be "idiots" but not quite that stupid..

I disagree,and for two reasons:

1. The AP report is worse than useless for determining what people actually saw. Critical details are left out. As someone who's been in the fray of some widely reported science/technology stories, I'm not at all surprised if the media gets nearly everything wrong.
  2. All the studies agree that people do NOT know what they see, by and large. About 80% of all UFO reports are misperceptions. People are no well-equipped perceptually to estimate the size and distance of objects in the sky. In many cases, it simply isn't possible. Here on ATS, we have people constantly putting forth very common objects such as aircraft landing lights as UFOs.

Until we have the facts, and someone carefully sorts though the witness statements and puts together a coherent timeline, we can't say whether what these people saw was a misperception or not. We may never know.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
"the object he saw last week was a mile long and half a mile wide. "

Now that's what i like to see.......these are the things that make this all the more real.......

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Great find , but sadlt thje sceptics will be rushing in and telling everybody that its just 2 airliner or the reflected swamp gas over the water baloon with a hint of mass hysteria .. So without any quality pictures or a movie this will quiet down rather fast I belive ..

Hey if they could quiet down the phoenix lights which had a pretty decent video then this one isnt even close :/

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Can you just imagine something a mile long and a half mile wide in the sky?I would have had to change my shorts if I had witnessed that.

The report I read stated that at one point the UFO was approximately 300 feet in the air.Now imagine a mile long object 300 ft above the ground.

If this was indeed what these folks are reporting,then I can't see the U.S. gov't having an experimental aircraft of those proportions.

edit:sp.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by crowpruitt]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by crowpruitt

There is nothing in the links that state the UFO was 300ft above ground. That was in ANOTHER sighting that one guy says he can "come forward" with after the Stephenville sighting (the 300ft part was in Dublin).

Personally I find the information very weak at best. Such a large UFO with supposed lights and dozens of witnesses, yet no one describe it consistently. Some says "bouncing around" lights, others claim a couple, some say crosses, etc. Some reports doesnt even mention its size, which would be the first that awe you.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by merka]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The story is the most popular on CNN.com this morning.

CNN story

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join