It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World’s Largest Supercollider Could Destroy the Universe

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
How fortunious!! I watched an episode of "The Universe" on The History Channel today which discusses this very subject.

"Not to concern yourselves with." The narrator says. "These black holes vaporize within seconds of their creation."

Which makes me wonder...if black holes are inescapable...how do they ever vaporize?

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Some news in, Lawsuit filed against the mad scientists running that super colider!

Stop the scientists before they destroy us all!

That's what a Hawaii man with a background in nuclear physics is asking a court to do.

Walter F. Wagner and his colleague Luis Sancho have filed a federal lawsuit seeking to stop work on the Large Hadron Collider, a gigantic atom smasher on the Franco-Swiss border that's set to start operations in May.

www.foxnews.com...

wonder if this is going to do any justice
Kinda creepy too..if you notice in the article it says the super colider is going to open/start in MAY, and earlier i noticed a thread regarding some crazy people who didnt want to leave a cave because they think the world is going to end in MAY. Crazy coincidence right? or maybe its just my lack of sleep and over thinking that makes it seem worse.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toelint
Which makes me wonder...if black holes are inescapable...how do they ever vaporize?

The collider works by smashing two particles together. They smash together with such force and energy that they collapse down into a black hole. However, in order to sustain itself, a black hole must have enough mass so that the attractive force of gravity is stronger than the repulsive nuclear forces. With just two tiny particles, there isn't enough mass to sustain the black hole, so it disintegrates. And it doesn't do so in a matter of seconds, it does so in an extremely tiny fraction of a second.

Think about it like this: You launch two tennis balls at each other at a very high speed. When they hit, they deform and squish in to each other, and may, for a brief time, deform so that they only take up the volume of a single ball. But they quickly spring away from each other, since there's no force to hold them together.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor

The collider works by smashing two particles together. They smash together with such force and energy that they collapse down into a black hole. However, in order to sustain itself, a black hole must have enough mass so that the attractive force of gravity is stronger than the repulsive nuclear forces. With just two tiny particles, there isn't enough mass to sustain the black hole, so it disintegrates. And it doesn't do so in a matter of seconds, it does so in an extremely tiny fraction of a second.

that is not correct
at first: you dont need mass to create a black hole, you need energy density (making it bold to stress there is a large spectrum of possibilities: anywhere between either large mass + medium space or small mass + very very tiny space)
it has enough mass to sustain an event horizon (of almost plank scale radius) but as all black holes it can radiate hawking radiation and thereby lose mass
since it is so small and so (in means of its gravitational pull compared to other surrounding forces) far away from other masses, it evaporates much faster than it could grow (the possibility to hit an other particle in this ultra high vacuum precise enough to merge it is so low it could fly for eons before it would get out of plank scale (if it wouldnt radiate)

Originally posted by nataylor
Think about it like this: You launch two tennis balls at each other at a very high speed. When they hit, they deform and squish in to each other, and may, for a brief time, deform so that they only take up the volume of a single ball. But they quickly spring away from each other, since there's no force to hold them together.

a picture which in almost no part applies to the problem here

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

if black holes are inescapable...how do they ever vaporize?

Hawking radiation

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I would have no concern over this at all.

We can't even kill our atmosphere after trying for over 100 years, now your worried about the entire universe. You give mankind too much credit.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

Is that number the United states National Debt?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
thats hecka scary, i cant believe it! i think before they do anything they should hold a petition around the world, if what they "think" would happen goes wrong then the whole world has to pay for their mistake, hold a petition and see what the world has to say, me personally think they should, if they "turned it on" it would open up a whole new world ya know? no one knows what will happen, it would be nothing, black holes could happen or even a whole new demension or maybe time travel, it would be anything and i think they should give it ago and see, if the worls happens to come to an end because of it then atleast we know lol!

Its interesting, and maybe us humans are getting a little too curious and putting our talents on something we should mess with but ask the world what they think about it...i think that now that its built and they spent all that money they arent backing out

-Michelle

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I really don't care what the scientists' numbers say, this is an unprecedented procedure, never performed on this scale, so they are unsure. Being unsure about such a detrimental operation is IMO , not worth the risk.

edit=fix spelling

[edit on 24-5-2008 by space cadet]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Dare I make a prediction? I don't expect any black hole being created at all. Why? Cause they simply don't exist. They are, just like the singularity in the center of it a mathematical figment of the mind. A point doesn't exist in 3D space, it's a mathematical concept, nothing more, nothing less. Well, thats how I think about it.

then there is this:

Krauss's answer: Hawking's riddle is a trick question. Due to the relative nature of time under Einstein's general theory, time should stop at the event horizon. Anything that approaches, therefore, should come to a halt before it falls into the black hole, effectively preventing the black hole from forming in the first place.

blog.wired.com...

Just took the first link here, but you can find a lot of articles about Krauss's thesis in different magazines if you google after: "black holes don't exist"

And allso, being a Electric Universe proponent, I read a lot of articles on holoscience.com and there I stubled on this one:

The madness of black holes

It's a very interesting article (as are the other articles on that site) worth reading through. Here is a snippet:

Black holes highlight a situation, common today in astrophysics, where the object under investigation cannot be seen directly. This situation is pure heaven for the crowd of mathematical theorists who have hijacked physics from the natural philosophers and experimentalists. The sainted Einstein seems to have initiated the hijacking with that oxymoron, the “thought experiment.” But problems arise when thoughts are governed by a limited set of beliefs or dogmas and unchecked by direct observation or experiment. The result can be – and generally is – science fiction. University libraries and popular science magazines are full of it at the start of this new millennium.

Enjoy

[edit on 27/5/2008 by KrisFromGenk]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

They should definetly not turn the switch because that might end our lives and there is so much people havent got to do that they want to! Just because the science project has rewards, we should not put the risk of our own lives at hand!

link   

They should definetly not turn the switch because that might end our lives and there is so much people havent got to do that they want to! Just because the science project has rewards, we should not put the risk of our own lives at hand!

link   

link   

link   

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

The whole idea counters itself because they put more energy into
the particle thinking it will do something.

UV radiation from the A bomb was to set afire the atmosphere.
So I don't know what happened to that theory.

Tesla made atom busting voltage and nothing ever happened.
He kept on talking about his developments and never gave out
any more patents on his discoveries.
He was just ignored by MIT and the government.

However even Lennin wanted more information from Tesla.
Tesla must have sold some devices to Germany before WWII
but before 1900 Germany may have had spies on to his work.

Tesla said he had found a new particle. At such high voltages
who knows what comes out of aluminum.

According to Tesla, a particle can go faster than the speed of
light if given enough push or driving potential. Only EM is
limited to c in traveling the ether or 'dark matter' space.
Sort of like a terminal velocity under gravity.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spaxz
reply to post by Rhain

LoL if we do open a new dimension for something to come through i think we should all run to the movies and watch "The Mist" so we can all be prepared. lol

Thta is funny...when I first started reading about this in the news that movie The Mist was the first thing to come to mind for me as well.

Always unnerving when silly humans begin trying to manipulate the folds of time and space. Only a matter of time before we screw something up that will be irreversible.

I guess if I find myself hemmed up in a grocery store next month fighting off giant creepazoid insects from a different dimension I wont think this whole thing is quite so funny.

These are strange and frightening times we are living in

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
UV radiation from the A bomb was to set afire the atmosphere.
So I don't know what happened to that theory.

It worked!

Hence Global Warming... duh...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

OK time to start building my escape pod with trasmiter

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
It sucks. I don't care how unlikely it is, the fact that there is a chance that we will all be killed by this puts me off the whole thing. Surely, somewhere along the line the scientists thought "Y'know, maybe forcing two particles to collide at such a high speed just under Sweden isn't such a good idea after all"?
The chances might be slim, but there could be all sorts of unforeseen consequences. Kennedy didn't realise that the Hiroshima attack would kill twice as many people as planned. We don't know enough about our Universe to test what caused it yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join