It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

paralell universes of altered history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The only real problem with time travel is the time space continum which can potentially get messed up. But the question comes to mind, if someone goes back and changes time how would we know? The truth is we wouldnt because we would of grown up learning different than we originally had. So kinda like that show sliders where they went through diff realities, its like going into paralell universes that have been altered by history. In their universe they believe that they're history is the original one which I guess begs the question whose history is original?

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by CaptainMooPoo]

[Edited on 10-2-2004 by CaptainMooPoo]

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I don't know much about time travel, but I have read Timeline, in which the author, Micheal Crichton, provides an compelling arguement.

Even if you were to go back in time and change something, you wouldn't affect it too much, because our history doesn't revolve around one person or one single event. It is not because of a single event that WW1 happened, it because of the accumulation of series of events.

I would suggest you read that great book.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Did you ever have an event that you experienced with 3 or 4 friends, then 30 years later nobody remembers it the same way? That is because of the interwoven time lines.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   
if u go back in time, ur still going forward in time to proceed there, so it must make alternate universes because if u went back backwards in time u wouldnt have knowledge of time travel and # and it wouldnt create another universe. u r travelling forward in time to another universe.

make sense neone?? :S

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by quiksilver]

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   
so you say we can only jump ahead in time to a paralell reality?

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Did you ever have an event that you experienced with 3 or 4 friends, then 30 years later nobody remembers it the same way? That is because of the interwoven time lines.

I think it actually has to do with our imperfect memories.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   

My view is that alternate realities are only being created in the moments (momentous ones are moments of truth) and not through backward time travel.

If backward time travel were possible, then a parallel universe would originate at the point of departure of the traveller from his moment (wherein he is absent from the influence over events in the immediate future of his time)... but the point he reaches in the past is part of the universe that originated from that future, unrelated to some core past reality that would have continued in quite enjoyment of its own unfolding had the time travelling interloper not stepped into it. The parallel universe does not exist in the unfolding past time and no history in our world is changed as a result.

Looking for an example, you will need to show an instance of a time traveller from the future arriving in any time on record to date, aside from the debunked publicity stunts. Human history to date might be interesting to us but really it would not be that relevant to travellers from the future, who would have no need nore deisre to visit the dark ages of the first 60,000 years of human civilization with its stupid wars and religions and wanton destruction of the biosphere through greed and industry. What points in history so far could truly have been influenced by some future hand? The great moments in humanity are yet to occur.

But alternate realities are interesting in their own right, and What If Nots are more telling than What Ifs. If certain events had not unfolded for me on December 18, my What If Not would be an alternate reality with less spark and urgency and purpose than the range of What Ifs that are in front of me now. It must be less painful to ponder and reflect in old age on one's risks and rewards and wish fulfilments than it is to think about "if only I hads".

Which goes to show, when you enter a Topic at ATS from the perspective of some dream or goal about the future, you'll take some of them with you with your logic and leave others to wander away saying "WTF?"

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:33 AM
link   
well if u came from the future to a certain time say 2000 with all the top and way above top secret clearence codes for nuclear warheads and secret facilities and all these signatures and all this top secret clearence sht then i suppose u could influence the past. interesting,although i really dont tink physical time travel is possible,(not those bs abot going high speeds and speed of light to go through time) be cause time is just a concept we give to action i suppose.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   
These are two interesting articles on the subject of alternate timelines & realities.

www.wisdomsdoor.com...

www.wisdomsdoor.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Surfup - Mr. Chricton must not have known about Chaos theory. Hate to put in an 'Ashton Kutcherish' way, but the Butterfly effect.

In any system, if you change the slightest parameter, then watch the two separate systems run themselves out, they will eventually diverge, after that, they will diverge further, and further, and further, the point is, a single butterfly's path of flight will greatly affect international wind patterns 250 yrs from now, the effect will only increase with time. And a bit of an older movie put it in a rather blunt, and funny way: The men travel back in time, one steps on (here's the humor
A butterfly. He then disappears. It changed existence and time so that he never existed, just that butterfly. Of course I believe in the infinite possibilities, infinite parrallels, and time is just a jump between differing universes, so I'm not personally worried about affecting my actual self if I ever go back in time.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I think its possible that the quadradynamic latteral dimension can be transeversed by the division of the time space intergalatic planetary...planetary intergalactic

top topics

join