It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange objects hanging in night sky over Iraq

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Those objects seem to shake but the surrounding clouds don't. This makes me think they are closer then we think they are since the background doesn't match up.

This could be reflections on a piece of glass that is closer to these guys. Is this a possible staged video?

Since we don't have a non-night vision video I can't make a good assessment. If I were to make a choice as to those objects, I would say they are reflected light on a piece of glass that is in front of these guys.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
what a huge piece of glass? I dont think these guys are in the bizz of making staged videos in the middle of combat operations..doesn't seem likely to me

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
well one things clear we have 2 diffrent things in the sky a couple of stars and quite a few ufos well for now, there deffo not spotlights as someone said there to sharp and focused and there not hitting nothing solid to focus on are thay?, and thos lights under the cloud are more than likely town lights, so no idea i`ll leave this for the pros.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
One of the soldiers does indeed suggest that the lights are UFOs. It is a very odd video... The lights have that odd lensing / flare effect through the clouds or smoke around them, and the light flares downwards and upwards. What we need is an actual expert to tell us what sort of light makes that kind of distortion and why. Then there will be at least one fact to go on.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Great find, I just posted on terrapops find of this same video footage, but here's my take on the subject. I suppose if it were one of those unmanned drones they use, the GI's would not be so amazed at what they were seeing. I think it could be a stretch to call on Dark4kights thread, but seems like everything odd always does. Reminds me of those sundogs seen at times, hard to tell since it is night. I wonder what the locals there think or thought of the anomaly?

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The same thing happens a lot up here in the mornings when it's cold and dark.
Streetlights, house lights, anything that's sort of bright really, will put a beam straight up like that.

I figure it's either carbon monoxide from vehicles running or water in the air.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The circumstances speak for them selfs
there soldiers on a battle field who happened to witness some type of strange phenomena
so I don't think it would be staged or fake. The chief uploaded for us to see, so thats something we should appreciate. Whatever it is, its strange and shouldn't be there. Could be spy crafts...

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

I was going to say: Im in Alaska and I see that ALL the time. Then I noticed that your screen name is "Alaskan".

So, I will confirm what you said.....is true!

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Sorry but my internet isn't working to well right now (brother downloading and I'm on laptop) so I can only watch 6 seconds in but heres my theroy.
Its actually a still image of something and they are using an overlay of the circular night vision lense so that they can move it around and make it look as though its moving, then they just add voices in movie maker.

I could be completely off but I can only go 6 seconds in and from that far in this is a possiblity.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
After watching this again the idea of manmade light being reflected in the atmosphere sounds very possible.

We need a video of these lights in the visible spectrum, not night vision. Until that happens I cannot make any assessment as to what is causing this.

One guy on the video mentions a red haze. This only happens during sunrise or sunset, but if i'm wrong please provide me the info so I can help figure this out.

What time of day was this video taken?
Where was it taken?

I don't care if they are in combat or in the military at all, that has no impact on what they are taping. Focus on what is known, or more importantly, what isn't known.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Matt Kilby

Perhaps you need to view the whole video and listen to the audio track before sharing your thoughts; never is it mentioned that the 'objects are moving; the camera is panned to show that there are multiple objects in the sky;

and considering this is alledged to be shot on a combat patrol why would they dub the sound track?

and Jainatorres, the suggestion of wedding ballons illuminated by combat flares from an A10?????

perhaps Mr Ritzman could take a lok at these and give us his opinion.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This is funny , I joined this forum because of a post I saw regarding a single light light this shot in the early evening. forgive me but I can't find the thread... I tried looking in myprofile. Anyways I remember posting about how I saw tons of these lights over my city and the surrounding area around 7 pm by tons I mean 20 or so it seems like so many. they just hunt in the air no noise just lights like these filmed in the video.

The resident meany showed up in the thread and told me it was a well known weather phenomena and I could sleep again at night. he posted good evidence to support his claims but , the lights I saw were at night not early evening and these lights were clear as day just hanging there it freaked my wife and I out really badly cause we called my father who lives 20 mins out of the city and he could see them from his house.

seeing these lights again brings that feeling of dread back. lets hope that guy shows up to explain what whether phenomena he said , cause I forget and I can't find the thread!

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Ive seen these multiple times in my travels.

It could be 3 things. One I know what it is the other is still a mystery to me.

The first one: I've seen similar effects in the sky when spot light are used. The light is being diffused on the clouds and is brighttest when it hits the cloud ceiling, giving the impression the light is comming from the clouds.

The second: Sometimes when I look at the sky, I see oddly bright stars that just dont have the far-away star look. As i stare at them, sometimes they start to move steadily while dimming and appearing travel down the horizon like it was orbiting. That the mysterious one.

The third: Dont know

[edit on 3-1-2008 by IvanZana]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Alanjw72

It would be helpful to know where exactly and at what altitude this was filmed. From what I saw, they could've been reflections of the flames produced by oil rigs.

It's happened before.
(Not in Iraq, but elsewhere.)

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
How cold is it getting in the area of Iraq where this video was captured?

Could they be "light pillars?"

Light reflecting off of very fine, nearly invisible, ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere.

Excellent explanation of the effect here:

Atmospheric Optics | Light pillars

Nice set of images here:

wcco.com | Slideshows | Light pillars

Edit to add the link to this image:

Atmospheric Optics | Lights radiating from the zenith

Very Nice!

[edit on 3-1-2008 by goosdawg]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
It seems to be a natural light phenomenon due to some sort of flair from the ground lights.

If you note in the video the "pillars" only appear over the ground where there is heavy light noise, lights on the ground, and the objects don't move.

These are NOT UFOS or any supernatural event.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by the seeker_713g
reply to post by Matt Kilby

Perhaps you need to view the whole video and listen to the audio track before sharing your thoughts; never is it mentioned that the 'objects are moving; the camera is panned to show that there are multiple objects in the sky;

I may not have explain well enough. Heres an example of what i meant. You have an A4 sized still photo and you hold a glass over it only showing a bit at a time you then dub voices over it your done. However I also noted that I might be wrong.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by goosdawg
How cold is it getting in the area of Iraq where this video was captured?

Could they be "light pillars?"

Light reflecting off of very fine, nearly invisible, ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere.

That could definitely be it. Even if they're out in the desert, it's winter out there and the air higher up is very cold, even in deserts. City lights on the ground beneath these formations supports the possibility further.

Btw that last pic is really cool.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
Btw that last pic is really cool.

Agreed, that last pic IS really cool, um....no pun intended.

Even though it's of a natural event, it really brings to mind the events forecast by D4rk Kn1ght.

Below that pic is a link to the photographer's site, very nice astronomical pics on his blog.

(Alas, I wish I could read French!)

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The first thing I thought of was that weird "multiple suns" phenomenon seen in Khazakstan. This would mean atmospheric anomoly. I got the doo-doo scared out of me when the Aurora Borealis lit up over me. They have never been this far south before, so I had no idea what I was seeing. A lot different than the pictures I've seen. And more beautiful once I was convinced that a comet wasn't burning up the atmosphere.

The second thing I thought of was crop circles. I know it's a desert, but they look like a big fountain pens in the sky. Have patterns ever been found in the desert, like the ones in fields?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join