It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Video Game Keeping Race Fights Alive?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Ok I will not go so far as to say they are promoting it...And I am not really sure there is a conspiracy of any sorts or atleast not purposly...But this is gonna sound a bit unusual and I am "pretty" sure there are a few open minds out there....But anyway....I will use WOW (World Of Warcraft) as an example since it is huge....

But here it is for those of you not familiar a breif explanation of the game:

It is your basic online role playing game (thousands of players around the globe)...And it consists of mainly a player versus player basis 2 factions (teams) and a number of races in each and you need to choose a race and create a character of course they are fictional (for the most part) like orcs,trolls,gnomes,humans etc and they fight each other and some races are promoted as hating one another ...But I was kinda wondering if it isnt kinda sending some sort of a subliminal message to younger players....

As I said it sounds strange but.....You never know.....

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   
What races in WoW hate eachother? I understand it is a game about good and evil (Alliance vs Horde), but not orc's vs dwarfs etc. If there is any sort of racial tension I am sure it has been ripped from some old fantasy stories. WoW is very generic to appeal to as many people as possible and really doesn't have a lot of original concepts. If it does have any race tension, which I don't think that it does, it is simply because fantasy stories have always had it.

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Well it doesnt specifically say hate etc...But for instance the Tauren and the undead have no love for one another for certain and they are the same faction...And of cource we know the legendary gnome and troll story and the (which you mentioned) orc and dwarf wars....O and we can nt forget the 2 seperate elfs factions fighting one another...But if ya read alot of the stuff while playing some of these guys and gals take this stuff seriously or so it seems to me anyway...I do play btw...As an orc lol..Weird huh???

[edit on 1-1-2008 by Sentinel 1]

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Sentinel 1

Well, years ago I had a Dwarf... so I don't think I can participate in anymore of your threads. Good day sir!

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
O! It did mention hatred and prejiduces etc...Here is a direct quote from the troll description....

Barbarous and superstitious, the wily Trolls carry a seething hatred for all other races.
One tribe, however, was forced to overcome its prejudices when it encountered the Orc Warchief, Thrall, and his mighty Horde. The Trolls of the Darkspear tribe, long since exiled from their ancestral lands in Stranglethorn Vale, were nearly destroyed by a band of aquatic Murlocs, but Thrall and the Horde managed to save them. In return the grateful Trolls swore an oath of eternal allegiance to the Horde.

Needed to do a little bit more homework lol....

posted on Jan, 1 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by Sentinel 1

Well, years ago I had a Dwarf... so I don't think I can participate in anymore of your threads. Good day sir!

Very funny you "sneaky" dwarfs
I know if it is sending messages it didnt affect me....But I often wonder if weaker individuals you know the type that go to extremes like joining the KKK and such and whatever causes them to do such thing if it doesnt affect people like that or somthing....I know it sounds rediculous to me aswell but we know there are people that are a few sandwhiches short of a picnic that may react differently to such messages....lol

And I do believe Mc Donald commercials make you hungary aswell....And when I was a kid and seen the trix rabbit I was suddenly wanting cereal aswell....The messages are out there they are sneaky.....

join