It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistani forces placed on Red Alert after Bhutto assassination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Pakistani forces placed on Red Alert after Bhutto assassination

www.msnbc.msn.com

I appears that after the successful assassination of Benazir Bhutto the Pakistani Military forces have been placed on "Red Alert" to keep rule in the country under control..

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/27/2007 by geocom]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The assassination of Benazir Bhutto will have a very large impact on the people of Pakistan and though I am not a fan of military or police control in this case it may be a very good move to ensure the safety of others at a time of much civil unrest in Pakistan..

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by geocom

The military may keep people safe, but thats just a side effect of the deployment, not the reason. The reason (I suspect) is to keep order, crush dissenters, protect business.

I foresee heavy repression, the suspention of any democratic rights of all citizens (something that Im sure happened when martial law was invoked) and I doubt any of it will stop soon.

This is going to be an uphill battle for the people of pakistan.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

Martial Law has not been invoked at the present time just security and military forces placed on red alert...

Oh yeah and a few cars have been burnt up..

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I think you are correct. If they don't display some strong arm tactics, I would imagine that the government would be dangerously close to being toppled.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by geocom

you are correct, i misread some other threads on the threat (read: consideration) by Mushariffs administration to declare martial law.

I would definately say he would feel justified in believing this is enough of a national emergency to declare it so.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

the Government would be threatenned, at least for a short time (the time it takes to deploy and suppress). But he was all too ready to send out the troops and police in an effect to quell the wave.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I agree on the need for martial law but he just released the country from Martial law 2-3 weeks ago and he took a lot of crap from the U.N. and other countries around the world so I am not sure that he is going jump head first at the chance to reinstate it...

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by geocom

Conveniently, he doesn't really have any other choice now. This "unfortunate" assassination has destabilized the country and he is now forced to make that type of decision. I think he has all of his bases covered for instituting martial law again.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Martial Law is not in effect at this time..

Respectfully
GEO

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I think Karlhungis is just making a prediction based on historical outcomes of such events, both inside and outside of Pakistan.

I think we all believe its comming, it just may take some time before he decalres it (again, the time it takes to deploy and suppress)

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by geocom

Not yet. Riots and civil unrest are in effect though. I will be surprised if martial law is not declared soon.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
If martial law is to be implemented, and if it brings about an uprising of people, what chance is there (in your opinions) that either the US,UK or some other nations military force, may be sent in as a peace keeping unit? We know we are sent into some countries as peacekeepers. Is Pakistans own military force enough to deal with any uprise?

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by shaolin_dragon

Most likely Pakistans own military and police forces will take care of the situation. When you invlove the international community, abuses tend to slip out to the rest of the world.

i think the Pakistani Administration will want to do this quickly and quietly.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Pakistan made it pretty clear that they didn't want any US meddling during their last martial law. I don't expect them to want any outside interference this time either.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Agreed they really don't want us there.. If you look at the polls (rolling eyes)
and trust them then we only have about a 15% approval rating there most of the Pakistani people or about 85% according to polls don't care all that much for United States interference..

Having said that I agree that there may be a need for Martial law in this instance however I am torn as I don't agree at all with martial law not in Pakistan and certainly not in the United States and more over I definitely feel as though we (the U.S.) have no right to try and help them declare Martial Law in their own country..

I am all for what Bill Richardson has to say on this one though I don't typically see eye to eye with his viewpoints he is dead on correct with this one in that until we see that the elections are going to go through and be fare we need to suspend all funding to the country of Pakistan.. after all we have given them nearly 11 Billion dollars in 2007 and most of that is unaccounted for...

Repsectfully
GEO

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Given the ISI most likely had a huge hand in killing her, I find this amusing to say the least...

If anyone honestly thinks she would have be more pro-US than Musharaf, then you need to rethink...

And we all know what atrocity the ISI was involved in with direct regard to the US, right ??

Go join the dots..
This was in no way, shape or form Al-Qaeda acting on its own...At the VERY least they either operated within protection from Pakistan's ISI or as a joint mission with operatives from both sides taking part...

There is no way in the world the US can completely absolve itself from this mess, after all, the US gains the most from Bhutto's assassination...

They get a hard arsed president who has been their lapdog for over 6 yrs, who will soon become prime minister, ensuring the US friendliness of the Pakistani regime, regardless of who is President...

Now that I think of it, I'm starting to smell CIA bacon sizzling on the grill..

I wonder ???

EDIT - For stupid context...Musharaf will become PM, not President again, as part of my post may have suggested...

[edit on 28-12-2007 by Rilence]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I think you are correct. Plus the fact that they are now blaming it on Al Qaeda seems pretty convenient.

I also find it interesting that they are changing the official story already. Yesterday, it was widely reported that she was shot in the neck. Now they are saying that she died from running into the sunroof, no bullets or shrapnel were found in her. Even though, on the same front page of CNN, they are blaming shrapnel.

Strange.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   

You betcha, Karl....The story has changed like 6 times in its details (not the crux of the story) here in Australia since I got out of bed like 16 hrs ago...

Something smells VERY fishy to me here...and I would in no way put the whole thing past the ISI with a lil help from some "Western" friends at all...

Tomorrow will be another interesting day on this thread, Karl...

I bid you good night now, and look forward to reading comments posted whilst I sleep...

Thanks for your post

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I wonder if things will get really nasty after the three days of mourning
are over , not that they are all that great now.

Just that a period of mourning is a period of respect and after that all bets are off.

Respectfully
GEO

new topics

top topics

join