It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wiccan Yule Wreath Vandalized

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 05:02 AM
link   
In Green Bay, Wisconsin, a Wiccan Yule wreath was placed alongside a nativity scene to celebrate interfaith religions. The Yule wreath was vandalized, leaving the Nativity scene untouched.

www.620wtmj.com...

"GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- A Wiccan wreath, put up at Green Bay City Hall, was vandalized early Monday.

The Wiccan wreath was put up after the mayor and City Council president erected a nativity display. Hoping to avoid the constitutional issue of separation of church and state, they invited non-Christians to put up their displays too.

The wreath was found behind some shrubs. It has minor damage. The vandal left a ladder behind.

The City Council is expected to decide tomorrow whether the nativity scene can remain at City Hall.

The city has received six requests to display other non-Christian symbols, including the Wiccan star wreath, which was added last Friday."

www.todaystmj4.com...

"Fradette and Mayor Jim Schmitt invited non-Christian religions to submit displays, and the city has received at least six such requests. The pagan Wiccan five-pointed star was the second such display, which was added Friday.

Wicca is a nature-based religion based on respect for the earth, nature and the cycle of the seasons. But variations of the pentacle not accepted by Wiccans have been used in horror movies as a sign of the devil.

Two residents had brought their own symbols Monday morning.

"How is that fair to leave the manger up but not the non-Christian symbols?" said Taku Ronsman, who brought a peace display that she said represents the Unitarian Universalist faith."

What does everyone think? How do you think this should be resolved? How do you feel about the Pentacle being put next to the Nativity scene?
Should there even be public religious displays on government property?
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

-----------------------------------------
Replaced ALL CAPS in title and added 'ex' tags for external material

[edit on 18/12/07 by masqua]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I don't have an issue with the Wiccan symbol being placed there. Contrary to some opinions Wiccans donot worship Satan and are in fact a peaceful religion. What I do have an issue with is the vandalism that occured. Seems to me that we would all be better off if we practiced a little more acceptance of others differences and stopped expecting all to believe as we do.

Just my .02.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I think its a brilliant idea to have all religions display a little something around this time of the year as it is an important time for alot of religions:
Hannukah (Jewish); Eid al-Adha (Muslim); Bodhi Day (Buddhist); Kwanzaa (African-American) to name a few that I am aware of (other than the Christian Christmas). Its a real pity that others do not have tolerance towards their fellow man (of whatever religion/ethnicity/gender, etc).

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I'm not inclined to make a big deal out of the vandalism, I imagine alot of nativity scenes get vandalized every year. But, I think it would be really great to have some type of display of how all the different cultures and relgions celebrate this time of year along side one another, along with maybe an explanation of the traditions of each. It would not only educational but also fun!!

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

Hey there forestlady,

It's very sad that so little has changed since the middle-ages concerning views still held about Wicca and Witchcraft (the peaceful, nature-based, Earth-centric religion) ... by the ignorant minority (I mean that in the literal sense ... not derogatively). My mother's 84yrs old and it was only a couple of years ago that she thought I didn't believe in God ... because I'm a witch, bless her !!!

I've been a practising 'solitary' for many, many years now and have held workshops in local areas (rural and the city of York itself) about the 'reality' of our belief. They have always gone down really well and people (not necessarily into Pagan beliefs ... there have also been Christians with a healthy curiosity who have attended), go away feeling that their eyes have been opened to varying degrees. Because what we are/and believe, in is not what they had initially thought. I always choose my words very carefully because the wrong word can have an adverse effect on the way information is received (in my opinion).

I've never been able to get my head around the fact that wars have (and still are being), fought in the name of God. If only people could see that whatever spiritual path we choose ... there is only one true God-source. We should find the route most suited to us as individuals so that we can gain the most from it, at the deepest level. Faith should come naturally ... in the most comfortable way ... it IS NOT a competition.

Sorry, I just feel so strongly about this subject ... I'll step away from the soap-box now.

Love, Light and Bright Blessings For Yule. Woodytch.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by gallopinghordes

Thank you, all, for your comments. This may not seem like a major issue to most, but Pagans experience this kind of thing all the time. Other religions have had their religious displays destroyed as well.

I find it disturbing that some people can't respect other religions besides their own. I find it equally disturbing that some people choose to remain ignorant of other religions, rather than actually find out for themselves what other religions believe.

I love interfaith displays, meetings, etc. because I think it helps to promote tolerance among us all. I think if we are ever to have "peace on earth", it will have to start with religious tolerance and understanding of each other's religions. To me, all spiritual paths are valid and I think we should be celebrating each other's diversity, instead of disrespecting it. All spiritual traditions have something good for all people - we can learn from each other's religions - treating each other well and having peace on this planet, is at the heart of all religious paths, IMO.

Galloping Hordes, I love your avatar, it's beautiful.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
ForestLady, this shouldn't be surprising. When it comes to belief systems other than Christianity and Islam, people are very ignorant... It's shameful, but it's the truth.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
You know, it's amazing to me that we are living in a world that is being torn apart by the two warring religions of Islam and Christianity, yet, people take out their spite on other belief systems which really have nothing to do with the current world situation. That has always amazed me, really.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Christmas, as a holiday, has many of it traditions firmly rooted in the Pagan religion. I wish more Christians would come to understand this, that their "perfect" religion is born from many of the belief systems that many Christians are intolerant of.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Creedo, there are many things that Christians, Muslims and Jews have never understood. First and formost is the fact that their three religions do NOT have a monopoly on the "truth." Secondly, that just because a religion isn't affiliated with one of the three war causing Abrahamic religions does not mean it is "eeevil."

[edit on 18-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Yes and that to me is extremly sad. It is a recipie for disaster and has been playing out as such perfectly from the begining.

But not to get way off topic here. I think it is sad that someone was so offended by what they clearly dont even understand to even warrent such offence just goes to show that spiritualy humans have a very long way to go.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Creedo, true. Mankind is spiritually blind. Of course, in this day and age it isn't so much due to the actions of a ruling religion, but to gross materialism. It is really a sad state of affairs.

People often ask me, "Why are you so indignant?" My question to those people is, "Why not?" Truth bearers are frowned upon while liars are exhalted, much like the Christian bible said would take place, by the way.

It is amazing to me that the very people who claim to live by what the bible teaches are the very ones who would have you be imprisoned for your beliefs. They think it is all well and good to smear their religion in your face, and will take you to court if not allowed to do it, yet, they debase other's religion. To me, it is ridiculously ironic.

Gah, I think I need to leave this thread. It infuriate me to no end, and knowing the good heart of forestlady, I know she didn't intend for this thread to turn into some anti-Christian-Muslim diatribe. So, I'll leave. Forestlady, just know that I am sorry that those who I'd consider my keith and kin would insult your beliefs in such a manner. I really am sorry...

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
So true...

*sigh*

If only John Lennon's "Imagine" would come true.

Maybe N.W.O. is what this planet needs as a stepping stone to greater things for us all.

Divided we fall....

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Creedo

Maybe N.W.O. is what this planet needs as a stepping stone to greater things for us all.

Divided we fall....

Well, NWO, much like Hitler does serve a purpose. I just wonder if we'll learn the lesson it has to teach us...
I'm not sure we ever learned the lesson Hitler brought to us.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Yes very true... we definately dont want a Dictatorship style NWO. We need an NWO where the people are clearly in power as a whole. How that will work and come to be is always up for debate.

Sadly I believe many people are going to die in the process of something like this ever happening.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I just wish Humanity would just learn 1 VERY simple little lesson.

Respect eachother.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Creedo
Sadly I believe many people are going to die in the process of something like this ever happening.

Sadly, I am afraid you are right. However, we are getting way off topic.

I think whoever did this act of vandalism, I am assuiming they were of the "Christian" persuasion, should be ashamed of themself.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Lets no blame it on Christianity alone, this is the work of the ignorant that plague any religion.

In a season to be jolly and to show tolerance and good will we still have those that no matter what will never conform to the meaning of the holidays.

Yes it was vandalism and perhaps it could fall under hate crime if pursue enough, but it could also be nothing more than the work of thugs or silly teens looking for a trill.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
After reading the story, it sounds like somone just took the wreath down and tossed it behind some shrubs inflicting "minor damage". And left their ladder. Twit.

Originally posted by forestlady
Should there even be public religious displays on government property?

if it were up to me, I'd say "no". I don't see the point, and it will always cause an issue. At least, it always has.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Lets no blame it on Christianity alone, this is the work of the ignorant that plague any religion.

Certainly. As I stated in one my other posts, I personally think a lot of this crap stems more from the gross materialism of our society than any specific religion, per se. To be honest, it may not have even been a Christian who committed the act. However, it is always a knee jerk reaction to assume that it is...Whether that is fair or not is a whole other topic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join