It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urantia- what do you think?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2believeor0
All that material and just one major religion discussed? What about the other older religions. I would think that if ET were really responsible for creating one religion, there is a good chance their presence would reflect in other religions as well. Or perhaps ET only wanted to visit the middle east? The rest was just too boring!

Instead of reading why you shouldn't read the book, you should just read the book.

NOT "JUST ONE MAJOR RELIGION" was discussed in the urantia book.

Read, learn, know, then speak.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sator

Originally posted by Incarnated

I sudgest you download the book in mp3 form. You can also search it out on youTube.

Would you mind providing us with a link for mp3 form?
I'd be very interested in that... and I guess many others also.

Peace

www.truthbook.com...

you can download the zipped mp3s, or you can just listen to the mp3's one by one over the computer. Every "page" on the internet of Urantia Book, through the link provided, you can just click "listen".

The book is quite large. All the audio files of the book in mp3 form is over 1Gig.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FremenBlueEyes
It is called the Lucifer rebellion. It basically is a WAY cooler and more interesting story of the fall of lucifer than the bible. Check it Out for sure.

I'm not sure I could agree with you more. I think everyone should trun to that papers first

Paper 53, The Lucifer Rebellion
Paper 54, Problems of the Lucifer Rebellion

And in that way people can know first what's truly going on in the earth now.

However one thing needs be kept in mind. According to the urantia book, it's not an "inspired" work, it's more a percpetual writing according to their understandings, and it isn't "compleat" in understandings of what is going on. So it should be used with inspired works too.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
FYI, the audio book is currently being posted to YouTube. Needless to say, it will take this person a while to finish but it seems progress is being made:

Urantia on YouTube

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Here Now
My mom has this book and I have personally never read a page but it looked interesting. I decided to look up any info online about it and happen to stumble upon CULTS. It turns out the Government considers this book a cult reference.

[edit on 14-12-2007 by Here Now]

There's a dule meaning to the term "cult". The true origin of the meaning of "cult" is a work of spiritual understanding with a number of believers less then X. After a "spiritual understanding" or work attains a number of people understanding/believing it it becomes a religion.

The term "Cult" as negitive, is basicly a misunderstanding of peoples who only hear the word in association to such media terms as "deadly cults" that show up on the news.

One shouldn't percieve "negitives" on any term as all terms are objective in understanding and thus only percieved as a negitive or postive in the minds of man.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmilla
Wow some pretty whack stuff. Like Nohup said, not any more or less so than other religious books, but definately more explanatory.

I think it's a good example to show people when they insist that something like the Bible "just has to be true" because of its complexity and scope. The Urantia book is pretty huge, and it's a hell of a lot more complex, consistent and coherent than the Bible. Does that make it more truthful?

The only thing the Urantia book doesn't have is grand language. There are a lot of people who really get wound up about the Bible because the language is so impressive. The Urantia book might find more adherents if they pumped the language up a little. For instance, here is a quote from the Urantia Book:

"For a billion years of Urantia time the space reservoirs contract while the master universe and the force activities of all horizontal space expand. It thus requires a little over two billion Urantia years to complete the entire expansion-contraction cycle."

Pretty dry, huh? But jazz up the language a little, and you've got:

"Verily doth the reservoirs of space contract for one billion Urantia years, whilst the greater Universe and Forces of horizontal space expand, and thus the magnificent and holy Grand Cycle is completed in the course of two billion years."

Or something like that. As it is now, a lot of the Urantia book reads like stereo instructions, rather than the holy and mighty Truth of Existence.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
I think it's a good example to show people when they insist that something like the Bible "just has to be true" because of its complexity and scope. The Urantia book is pretty huge, and it's a hell of a lot more complex, consistent and coherent than the Bible. Does that make it more truthful?

It's from the universal (ET) understanding of what's going on. It's written by and through "The Watchers" aka (Greys) and spiritual beings in and around space.

It's a perspective view, the book states it's not inspiried. It's a more factual event history then can be found in the bible. However it's no replacement for the truely "inspiried" works of spiritual understandings.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2believeor0
All that material and just one major religion discussed? What about the other older religions. I would think that if ET were really responsible for creating one religion, there is a good chance their presence would reflect in other religions as well. Or perhaps ET only wanted to visit the middle east? The rest was just too boring!

and at that, the book isn't in suport of the Jewish or Christian idealisims on religion, rather it provides a higher understanding as to the world we live on and the "One God" truth.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I have to hand it to you, FremenBlueEyes.

I've been trying to get a discussion of The Urantia Book going since I got here.

The only thing I ever say about The Urantial Book is that it changed my view of life and the universe completely.

Who wrote it? Who cares?

Is it fiction or non-fiction? Who cares?

One of the lessons in The Urantia Book is the difference between facts and truth.

If you don't get too caught up in the facts, the truth contained in the book will shine through.

That might sound like a contradiction, but believe me, it isn't.

An mp3 audio version is available here:

urantiabook.org...

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Anything that challenges preconceived notions and worldviews is good exercise for your mind and spirit, just take it with a pinch of salt... especially if this is your first gnostic sci-fi encounter (because there are plenty out there)

[edit on 14-12-2007 by Shar_Chi]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   

The only thing the Urantia book doesn't have is grand language. There are a lot of people who really get wound up about the Bible because the language is so impressive. The Urantia book might find more adherents if they pumped the language up a little.

When King James had the bible translated that wasn't pumped up language. That was the language of the day.

In fact The Urantia Book frankly tells people that God is not impressed when people pray using "pumped up" language, so it's much better to just talk to God as though you were talking to your father or your friend.

In fact, one of the basic tenets of the book is that the best concept of God is as a loving Father.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Who wrote it? Who cares?

Is it fiction or non-fiction? Who cares?

I care, and that's why I had to search that stuff out.

Wikipedia gives a full discriptive on the who and what and it should be checked out. The story behind the Urantia Book story is very intresting also.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   

In fact, one of the basic tenets of the book is that the best concept of God is as a loving Father.

Oh, I understand the reason for the writing being in plain language. But it's not very good marketing.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated
The story behind the Urantia Book story is very intresting also.

This is true, but the authorship has never been established, only speculated.

The Urantia Book claims that the authors are various non-material beings.

Is that true?

I don't know.

It's beyond my capacity to ascertain, but it has not diminished the book in my mind one iota.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Oh, I understand the reason for the writing being in plain language. But it's not very good marketing. [emphasis mine]

Maybe that's true, but one of the reasons I can't buy into The Book of Mormon is that it was translated in the 19th century, yet it reads like a second-rate attempt at the King James Version of the Bible.

At least The Urantia Book reads like it was rendered in the mid-twentieth century, even if the grammatical constructions are sometimes strange to the ear.

[edit on 2007/12/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
HA HA HA!!!! HEY ALL!!!!! THank you for keeping this going. had to go out of town to see my pops.

I agree with Incarnate, btw thanks for all of your posts, that the conception of this book should be a top priority in its discusion . Some people contest that the medium who was used is the famous visionary Edgar Cayce. But the real identity will never be know due to only 2 people in the contact group who actually knew whom it was.

Very interesting thing is that his wife noticed him talking in his sleep in a different voice, which was later proved that it in no way was the contacts voice(differing frequencies and such, and called her psychologist freind to help her explain this phenomona. What happened was this certain doctor was a VERY big skeptic of paranormal activity and gathered a very respected team together to disprove these activiteies. Every one he encountered he disproved, except for this urantia paper case. He actually became a true beliver and started his organization beliving truly until he died.
A very interesting thing about how they were written is that they would ask the entity questions and it would dictate the answers. There ended up being way too much info to write so the entity suggested it should write the papers. They got a safe and only one person knew the combo. The director. Everytime they asked the entity questions it would leave papers in the safe..... a lot of papers with handwriting that was none of the people on the team.

I know you skeptics out there will be like, "they put it in the safe themselves retards". Trust me i am not stupid and thought the same thing when researching. It turns out that the guy with the combo was under survelince the whole time after they asked the questions. and the papers just somehow appeared in the safe. The entity again explained that they used the speeding up of time to accomplish that.

another funny note..... when they first started asking it questions they wwere asking stupid mundane questions and the entity replied, "if you really knew whom you were speaking with you would not ask such trite and mundane questions, compile a reasonable list and i will answer."

they did,,,,, and so came the papers

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Oh, I understand the reason for the writing being in plain language. But it's not very good marketing. [emphasis mine]

At least The Urantia Book reads like it was rendered in the mid-twentieth century, even if the grammatical constructions are sometimes strange to the ear.

Well, like I said, maybe in a hundred years or so it'll catch on anyway. I suppose it doesn't read any worse than "Dianetics." Maybe somebody charismatic will get a hold of it and really make it the hot religion. Then they can start their own wars over it with the rest of the Christians and Muslims and whoever else wants to get in on the fighting.

It's not the only book of its kind, though. If you dig Urantia, you may also want to check out the Ohaspe Book, if you can find it, or the Jane Roberts "Seth" books. Some are more ambitious than others. Maybe someday they'll all be combined into a kind of "Bible III."

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Couple more things....

Not trying to be rude but can we not bring mormonism into this thread???? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Also i think it is important to know that the book was not written and published in the 1950's but only published in the 1950's. It took from, i believe, 1921 to the publication date to get the materials and actually write the book. 2000 #####$%^%$ pages .... of course that would take 30 years

Thanks again guys!!!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Maybe somebody charismatic will get a hold of it and really make it the hot religion.

Please don't wish that.

The path of The Urantia Book has proceeded in just the right manner and at just the right pace, if you ask me.

Read Papers 99-103 and I think you'll understand.

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I do not think , actually, i know that the Urantia papers were specifically written to NOT be a religion. They talk about things that go beyond a group of humans believing in their idea of values of god to a strictly personal and unique relationship with the divine father...

I think that a religion should never happen. The Urantia group belives so too, check out their site.
There are already people who have made it into a religion though.

Crazy.... did you know it has millions of members all over the world????!!!!!

They also hold regional and international meetings.... wonder what that would be like??

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join