It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dieter Dengler – Navy POW Hero’s Amazing Story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I watched a movie just recently that had just been released on DVD called “Rescue Dawn”. Being a military veteran from Vietnam, I always watch documentaries or movies that have to do with that period of time in my life. I especially enjoy movies that are based on true stories or factual. After I watched the movie I was so touched by the story that I also watched all of the special features items and learned so much more. I became intrigued with Dieter Dengler and his story, and have spent the last week doing research on him and his amazing life story.

If you look up the word “HERO” in your dictionary, this German immigrant, turned Naval Pilot, “Dieter Dengler”, will be there. What a wonderful story of what the human spirit is capable of doing with overwhelming odds against him. I strongly urge you to rent the DVD and see what a true hero really is.

WATCH Dieter Dengler Tell His Story In His Own Words

READ MORE About Dieter Dengler

Come back and tell me what you think.

Dave

[edit on 12/4/2007 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I watched it recently and know what you mean.

The guy was a survivor and the film showed that very well indeed. It was a pity about his fellow captivee though.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
'Little Dieter Wants to Fly' is a movie by Werner Herzog - Director of Rescue Dawn, made ten years ago.

Dieter retraces part of his journey. It's quite harrowing in parts.

After his repatriation to the US, he developed a habit where he always had to check whether the door he had gone through was actually still open, and not locked. This is a result of his imprisonment.

Get the DVD out, or you might find it in parts on YouTube. It shows footage of his immediately after his return to the US Carrier which he flew his first and only mission from.

Finally, as a plug for Werner Herzog, check out Aguirre: The Wrath of God. It s intense.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Not trying to derail your thread, but have you read the story of Lance Peter Sijan? I read the book Into the Mouth of the Cat about him many times, and was almost in tears by the time I finished. He was the most amazing man I ever read about, and has been a hero to many people through the years.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Thank you for that..... I would LOVE to hear more stories like this that can be brought out of the darkness.

Dave

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Check out "Five years to Freedom" by James N. Rowe. He was a Special Forces officer that was rolled up by the VC in 1963 and escaped in 1968.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I also saw,and was deeply moved by the film.I also think he would make a great guest on ATS Mix.(Hint,Dave,hint!
)

new topics

top topics

join