It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the ATS website load tracking cookies and adware onto my PC?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38
What is very interesting is everyones reaction, this is exciting!

What reaction would that be? Trying to help you understand the basic workings of an internet site as big as ATS?

I really dont see the conspiracy here.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   

So I was shocked to discover this website was loading this crap onto my PC. I said, well it's a fun site who care, I'll clear it all off at the end of eack month. But it slows the hell out of my PC with every visit!

What specifically are you getting in your report? What spyware and adware programs are being found?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Electro,

IF you are getting malware, adware and or spyware loaded on your computer it's because you went to a site, NOT AboveTopSecret.com, that loaded a Trojan on your PC.

Your utterly FALSE accusations are astounding considering we only install one small cookie that lets us know your IP so you don't have to log in and we can verify our real traffic.

What's the real deal here? If you are truly getting infected give us exactly what your "report" reads and we might be able to help you get rid of the Trojan infecting your system, that I repeat, DID NOT come from here.

Springer...

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Electro,
I am fairly knowledgeable with computers,
and as I said I get zip, nada coming from ATS.
Just take some of the suggestions and run with them, such as getting firefox. I use firefox and have no problems with such things. In addition, I every so often will do a netstat/a in the command line to see what is connecting to me, and what i am connecting to. Then I use sites such as domaintools to track any suspicious IP's, not to mention my firewall, etc. There is plenty you can do to protect yourself. Just get out there and search.
Peace

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
cookies won't slow down your computer, especially not just a single cookie.

Spyware and adware (which are loaded onto your PC as "cookies") do absolutely slow down your computer, particularly your browser.

ATS loads one spyware cookie and one adware cookie when you first log on to the site, then additional spyware and adware cookies each time you access a different page on the website, and every time you access a thread.

By the time you've browsed around ats for any significant period of time you have accumulated a dozen or so separate pieces of spyware and adware.

I am assuming the spyware and adware is coming from those ads we see on every page, the script that loads those ads we see are also loading spyware and adware along with the ad's image (graphic, .gif, or jpg, whatever.)

So spyware and adware don't slow down your computer??? (Talk about denying ignorance).

I really like this site, that's why it is annoying me.

Don't you think it is just (maybe) a little hypocritical that a site with such a premise and will load spyware and adware onto all of our computers?

My website doesn't load crap onto peoples computers, although I could probably benifit and profit from it. (No I'm not saying what my website is.
I make custom musical instruments.)

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I have to run my anti spyware/adware software to remove a load of cookies.

Why do you feel you need to remove them?

These cookies really slow down my PC.

No... cookies do not slow down your computer.

Please note: Privacy Policy linked on every page.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I'm using internet explorer, and whenever I visit the ATS website my pc gets loaded with spyware and adware.

We ARE NOT loading any such thing. Please be much more specific about such accusations... what you're claiming is very serious.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I think your tinfoil hat is on to tight, scan your system and post the results.
I want to see this spy wear you talk of.

I have 5 cookies from ATS and thats across all boards.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
Electro,

IF you are getting malware, adware and or spyware loaded on your computer it's because you went to a site, NOT AboveTopSecret.com, that loaded a Trojan on your PC.

Your utterly FALSE accusations are astounding considering we only install one small cookie that lets us know your IP so you don't have to log in and we can verify our real traffic.

What's the real deal here? If you are truly getting infected give us exactly what your "report" reads and we might be able to help you get rid of the Trojan infecting your system, that I repeat, DID NOT come from here.

Springer...

I didn't say anything about a "trojan", but your site does indeed load spyware and adware in the form of "cookies" onto my PC.

It must be coming from the ads that are loaded onto each page on the site, because the more pages that I look at here, the more adware and spyware gets loaded.

Here's what I did. I cleared my PC of all spyware and adware, and removed all cookies. Then I made ATS my "homepage" so that when I start my browser it goes directly to ATS.

When the page first loads one "cookie" is loaded. This cookie is an adware script that runs on my PC and slows my browser.

Then with eack subsequent page that I visit within ATS, eack thread, etc. I receive additional spyware and adware script loaded onto my PC in the form of "cookies"

Anyone can try this and see what happens. However first you have to make sure your automatic anti-spyware software isn't currently running when you access the site. Disable your anti-spyware software, then clear all cookies and return to the site without going to your browsers homepage first.

[edit on 27-11-2007 by Electro38]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   

but your site does indeed load spyware and adware in the form of "cookies" onto my PC.

Cookies are not spyware, nor are they adware. I am the one responsible for the technology you're using here, and your misinformed accusations are rather offensive.

When the page first loads one "cookie" is loaded. This cookie is an adware script that runs on my PC and slows my browser.

You are severely misinformed. Cookies are not scripts... they are text files that contain information that can only be accessed by the site that created them.

Your accusations are misinformed and wrong.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
cookies won't slow down your computer, especially not just a single cookie.

Spyware and adware (which are loaded onto your PC as "cookies") do absolutely slow down your computer, particularly your browser.

Spyware and adware are full software packages , one is designed to Spy on your browsing patters and the other throws random and not so random ads on to your computer, whether on the internet or not.

Spyware and adware are not just cookies, they are much more malicious than this.

What I bet is happenning is whatever your using to scan your pc is saying any and all cookies are spyware/adware/malware. Its just blanket terming things on your PC to cover its butt. ATS is not data minning you, ATS is not spying on you, and ATS is not ading you to death.

Id start by switching your browser.

Why wont you post the results of a scan, to show us what you believe is a malicious script slowing your browser down?

[edit on 27-11-2007 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

I have to run my anti spyware/adware software to remove a load of cookies.

Why do you feel you need to remove them?

These cookies really slow down my PC.

No... cookies do not slow down your computer.

Please note: Privacy Policy linked on every page.

"Tracking Cookies", which record the activity of your PC's browsers, which is what is being loaded onto my PC whenever I visit this site, do indeed slow down your PC.

A "tracking cookie" is a script that will slow down your browser.

Then there are "adware"

Maybe your ad sponsers are loading these things whenever their ads load on the pages.

I just think that this sucks, because I really enjoy the site. I didn't really worry about it, but it really slows down my internet browsing, after I leave the site.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Post your scan logs so we can actually see what you are talking about

I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

"Tracking Cookies", which record the activity of your PC's browsers, which is what is being loaded onto my PC whenever I visit this site, do indeed slow down your PC.

No.

You're wrong, and you have been misinformed.

Cookies are text files. They are not scripts. They do not "run" on your computer. I've been using them in Web applications since they were first available to web developers. They contain data... and that's all.

If your computer is slow, it's not because of us. We take the privacy and experience of our users very seriously.

Please gain the appropriate background information about the reality of cookies before accusing this site, AND ME, of doing something illegal.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Electro38

You are truly misinformed or intentionally trying to cause drama.

I am now leaning toward drama because you refuse to present us with the report you are getting, exactly as it appears, and nobody can be this, well, ignorant after this many people have patiently explained to you that you are totally wrong.

So which is it? Either post the exact report you are getting or confess your drama sins.

Springer...

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Well, let me just clarify, my use of the word "script" was wrong.

This is what a tracking cookie does:

Tracking, and maintaining specific information about users, such as site preferences or the contents of their electronic shopping carts.

This is what adware does:

Automatically plays, displays, or downloads advertising material to a computer after the software is installed on it or while the application is being used. Some types of adware are also spyware and can be classified as privacy-invasive software.

These are the things being loaded onto my PC everytime I visit this website. And it increases with every subsequent page viewing.

You're going to tell me that these things don't slow down someones PC/browser?

At least lets be honest.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Scripted Performance

Cookies are not scripts.

I linked to it earlier, but here again is a very helpful article about cookies: Wikipedia: HTTP cookie

Please read it.

If you're going to hurl accusations at the site owners, at least have the basic decency to avoid founding them on ignorance and falsehoods. :shk:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Scripted Performance

Cookies are not scripts.

I linked to it earlier, but here again is a very helpful article about cookies: Wikipedia: HTTP cookie

Please read it.

If you're going to hurl accusations at the site owners, at least have the basic decency to avoid founding them on ignorance and falsehoods. :shk:

I'm not hurling accusations at anyone, I don't even know the site owner, or know who the heck that is.

Read further, where you see "tracking cookie", that's what I'm speaking of! (That, tracking cookie, and adware (which is also spyware) is what I am speaking of.

Don't just read the parts of those definitions that you agree with, or that fit your argument. Read the whole thing, particularly read what a "TRACKING COOKIE" is.

Then go look up "adware". Adware is invasive, and can also be classified as "spyware".

Can anyone really tell me these things:

1. That this site does not load "tracking cookies" onto people pc's.
2. That this site isn't loading "adware" onto peoples PC's
3. And that these things, if indeed loaded onto someones pc will not slow down their PC's/browsers.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

These are the things being loaded onto my PC everytime I visit this website. And it increases with every subsequent page viewing.

Yes, those do slow down your PC, but ATS does not install such things on yours or anyone elses computer.

There are three possibilities as I see it:
1) You have a nasty virus that is loading such software back onto your PC everytime you clear it up.
2) Your scanner is issuing false positives on cookies.
3) Some of the ads on ATS could be dropping these things being identified by your scanner as adware/spyware.

Ill say this again:
Post you scan logs so we can identify exactly what you are talking about

Edit 1: added thrid possibility
Edit 2: Your acusing ATS of putting these things on your PC, that accusation goes directly against the site owners. Hence, your acusing the site owners of doing this to you.
Edit 3: Srpinger and SkepticOverlord are 2 of the 3 site owners, and they are in this thread trying to address the issue.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf

Yes, those do slow down your PC, but ATS does not install such things on yours or anyone elses computer.

There are three possibilities as I see it:
1) You have a nasty virus that is loading such software back onto your PC everytime you clear it up.
2) Your scanner is issuing false positives on cookies.
3) Some of the ads on ATS could be dropping these things being identified by your scanner as adware/spyware.

Ill say this again:
Post you scan logs so we can identify exactly what you are talking about

Edit 1: added thrid possibility
Edit 2: Your acusing ATS of putting these things on your PC, that accusation goes directly against the site owners. Hence, your acusing the site owners of doing this to you.

Don't get so excited...

First off, I have no idea who the site owners are, I am not accusing those people (the owners) of anything.

Also, I used the word "script", which is wrong.

What I am having loaded onto my PC are:

1. Tracking cookies.
2. Adware

Both are invasive, and are used for spying.

Maybe it has to do with the ads that are loaded on the pages, maybe no one knows about this.

I'll post the results of my scan.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join