It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Steyr AUG A2 Commando

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Notice all those rails on the sight.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I read here that it's gonna have a 42 round magazine. Sweeeeettttt.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim_Kraken

Says its optional though.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Even better. Sometimes you want that extra ammo, at other times, such as firing in a prone position, the bigger magazine would be cumbersome. You have the option to pick which one is best.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
is this a carbine version?

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Darcey

Yes. You can see how short the barrel looks compare to the A1.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I tought that the latest version was A3?
With picantinny rails and offered in all the same barrel lengths as the A1. And they're developing a 6.8SPC version as well.

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The A3 Variant is much cooler looking.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 02:57 AM
link   
MSAR is making a awesome AUG right now. I am not sure if they bought the AUG from Steyr or just lic to make a copy. It is the STG 556. I do know that the parent company Microtech is unmatched in quality. The AUG is fun as hell to shoot.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim_Kraken
I read here that it's gonna have a 42 round magazine. Sweeeeettttt.

42rd mags have always been available for the AUG, they just weren't issued in any quantity. I can understand why - mags on bullpup weapons are pushed quite low to the ground when in prone. An extended 42 rounder would lift the firer up even more. Indeed it would make it virtually impossible for firers with short arms to get into a comfortable position. Remember marksmanship principles

1. Position and hold must be firm enough to support the weapon.

2. The weapon must point naturally at the target without undue physical effort.

3. Sight allignment and picture must be correct.

4. The shot must be released and followed through without undue disturbance of the firers' position.

Try getting a 5'5" soldier to point a weapon naturally in the prone with a 42rd mag fitted under their armpit.

On a different note, does anyone know the improvements that this weapon offers over earlier varients? I seriously hope they've re-evaluated the sight.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Paddy,
As far as i know the A3 is a "flattop" with picantinny rail on top, so the sights can be chosen by the customer. I dont know if this variant has been ordered by any military/LE customers yet, nor what sights have been offered with this. I've seen it fitted with both aimpoints and 6x Zeiss scopes in some promo pictures.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   
That's a pretty high-speed AUG there!

Our weapons are starting to look more and more like weapons from Sci-fi.

The AUG is an excellent weapon but it is also on of the most expensive assault rifles ever made as far as I remember, so unfortunatly the US Military will not considder this..well they will never anyway since they are going with something domestically manufactured.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   
So us Aussie's over here can buy the rights to make them? Are Aug is the F88
Looks pretty neat, but A1 and A3 are more than fine enough as there are

Plus they're more robust and function almost flawlessly in ALL environments.
There handle easier, higher muzzle velocity than an typical M4 for the same over all length, due to the bullup design.
There are, and I think it has already been mentioned above produced by a few different arms manufacturers,and that there is several different versions. There is one that use STANAG magazines, or basically the standard M4/M16/FAMAS rifles.

[edit on 9-12-2007 by Mahem87]

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Not only have they not bothered to reshape the butt, which is a total pain, but now they want to stick a 42 round mag on a bullpup meaning it'll be the first thing in contact with the ground in the prone position and cause even more feed jams than a standard mag does.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The 42 round magazine has always been an option, and as stated previously it was only bought in small numbers. As such us Australians use the more suitable 30 round magazine.
It is the same story as have a M4 with a C MAG, its just not suitable, unless for non-combat situations.
The butt does look ungainly, but it is quite comfortable and ergonomic.

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GrOuNd_ZeRo

Soldiers, you have probably heard the words of Kissinger before, saying: "Military men are just dumb stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy.” -- Henry Kissinger as quoted in the book “Kiss the Boys Goodbye" ...

If I were you - soldiers being used as pawns in foreign policy - I would get the Hell out!

You could become a True Patriot by not serving the antiChrist BEAST governments of the world.

Amen.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Sorry to be rude, but what does account for here?

regards.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim_Kraken

Why doesn't any one make an offset version of the C-Mag? 100 rds capacity and low profile. Its used on the M-16 and Minimi. Surely a company would want to make a bit of extra money in designing it?

new topics

top topics

join