It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Law Could Make Gay Jokes Illegal

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You are taking all of this way out of context.

And to note. Who gives a rats behind what someone else thinks of you. I could care less. This isn't high school. We are grown adults. If someone say something derogatory about me I could care less. I would laugh and walk away.

[edit on 11-9-2007 by CPYKOmega]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
So let's ban white jokes, men jokes, women jokes, Italian jokes, Irish jokes, black jokes, nerd jokes, jock jokes, American jokes, Canadian jokes, short people jokes, and tall people jokes.

This is absolutely idiotic.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega

You are taking all of this way out of context.

How so? I thought you were willing to die for this. Do YOU want to attempt this experiment?

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I already have many times saying I will murder * many times on the phone with my friend. And low and behold no feds at my door.

Better edit my post or the feds will visit me... give me a break.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

I agree that government needs to stay out of public affairs and get back to protecting our borders and rights. And one right is freedom of speech. Now if a workplace wants to install that rule then they have all the right in the world, but government does need to stay out of it. Look what they tried to do to Rush with that stupid smear letter signed by senators, but Rush threw it back in their face. I know that's not gonna be the last time they try something like that either.
Then they came into the public domain when they made the decision to pull the plug on the woman that was pretty much a vegetable when they had no right to be in the mix. Government is taking it to far and it has to stop. But still people need to treat people better.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I already have many times saying I will murder the president many times on the phone with my friend. And low and behold no feds at my door.

Not that I don't believe you but why don't you give them a ring and tell them in person then?

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Once again, 100% agreement.

If a business wants to institute these policies, I am behind them a million percent. However, the government has NO RIGHT to pass laws banning "slurs".

I don't care WHAT group those slurs are against.

Any such law, in effect, KILLS freedom of speech.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
You are taking this way out of context. We are talking about a joke here. Not a threat to someones life.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   

You are taking this way out of context. We are talking about a joke here. Not a threat to someones life.

That can also be a joke. I said as much to a well liked coworker today. Go ahead, take the challenge.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I already have many times saying I will murder the president many times on the phone with my friend. And low and behold no feds at my door.

Yeah but did you see them behind you and in the bushes and watching you from a distance. If not, they will be. I'm sorry but that statement needs to be taken seriously. When someone says that whether they mean it or not, they deserve the the cage.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

That can also be a joke. I said as much to a well liked coworker today. Go ahead, take the challenge.

I am sorry for your loss. And you have my deepest sympathies. I am not disrespecting you. I am just standing up for the freedoms of our countries that our forefathers worked so hard to achieve.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye

Yeah but did you see them behind you and in the bushes and watching you from a distance. If not, they will be. I'm sorry but that statement needs to be taken seriously. When someone says that whether they mean it or not, they deserve the the cage.

Not if we are talking about Bush.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
OK! The question now is. What is people going to do about it?

Nothing because everyone is to busy with their own life to worry about it. Who has the time to take the challenge and call their representatives. That's a funny joke anymore " representatives " I don't think they represent us anymore. They don't have to, the government has to much power already and they know it.

[edit on 11/9/2007 by Solarskye]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Did you hear the one about the gay,irish,old,fat,catholic,black,blind guy with one leg?
Well not for much longer it seems.

I really don't get this if it's presented in a not-threatening way.
My rather limp pal (Joli) in Dubai was always talking about 'mincing off to the shops'

Or is it going to become a legal necessity to be 'afflicted' with the condition that you are making the joke about?..
OR are ALL jokes simply going to be banned.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before jokes about white people having no rhythm is debated in parliament too.?
Because. .WOWWW I'm so hurt when people take the piddle out of my dancing I could just die!!

We are only too happy to give these politics guys WAY too much power.
Time to reel in some sanity methinks..

Did you hear the one about the average age/weight,straight,normal guy with nothing special about him whatsoever??

No??

Don't worry.. that's all you'll be hearing about soon enough.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I am sorry for your loss. And you have my deepest sympathies. I am not disrespecting you. I am just standing up for the freedoms of our countries that our forefathers worked so hard to achieve.

No, you are picking and choosing what you are standing up for. The Constitution is for ALL Americans. I read once here, liked it greatly, "Your rights end where mine begin." I like that, it means that EVERYONES rights are respected.

I take it you are not going to attempt the challenge to see how free your speech is.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Theres a difference between a "co-worker" and a "Friend". If I tell my friend, even if I seem all serious that I'm going to kill him.. he or she knows I'm not... INSTANTLY, and would probably reply with something along these lines

" F*** off ya fat (something offensive here) "

Quickly followed by the usual round of trying to go one better, before the conversation changed to the latest episode of Heroes or Battlestar Galactica (etc).

Now, I would never ever say that to someone who I wasn't 100% certain wouldn't take me seriously. I definitely don't condone bullying in the workplace, bullying someone via a joke is still bullying
But just joking with friends is NOT bullying... So a blanket law really should not apply.

I can recall one time, quite a while back now... when a "new" manager came over just to check that we were all " OK ", he made sure that nobody really was being treated in a way they should not be.. he used his discretion. Thats why it shouldnt be a law...

( We really are all good friends... I promise :p )

[edit on 9/11/07 by dawa]

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Have you ever heard of something called Canada's charter of rights and freedoms?

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Have you ever heard of something called Canada's charter of rights and freedoms?

Of course but what has that got to do with this discussion?

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Can we please get back on topic here? Lets talk about the proposed new law instead of petty ramblings.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Can we please get back on topic here? Lets talk about the proposed new law instead of petty ramblings.

Dude, you brought it up, not me.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join