It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS and spyware/cookies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I have contributed useful information to the secret society forums for over a year, all of the while being told insanity such as I am a goat riding blood drinking low level mason intentionally misled by reptilians, and all other sorts of non truths,even through all this garbage I posted useful information.

You still are dodging the issue of Ziba/TheStatue in my opinion.If you don't allow hoaxes, then why is his hoax allowed.You can't say you seriously believe that the spear that allegedly pierced Chist's side is in the Statue of Liberty, and that he is an angel,can you?If the answer is no, then it is an obvious hoax, and deservedly should be treated as such.

I would describe myself as brutally honest not belligerent, but that is a matter of perspective I suppose.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by brotherforchrist
I have contributed useful information to the secret society forums for over a year...

I would describe myself as brutally honest not belligerent, but that is a matter of perspective I suppose.

Ahhh, who were you before BrotherforChrist? Because according to your mini-profile, you've been here for 7 months. Not over a year, if I know 3rd grade math.

Be brutally honest with us. Were YOU TheFetch?

Cuhail

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
8 months,whatever close enough, I lurked for a while before posting.No I am most definitely not TheFetch, though he has become a friend of mine,I met him through these boards actually before he was banned.

[edit on 3-11-2007 by brotherforchrist]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
If tracking cookies make you nervous do as I do.

I clean my tracks after I surf, except for those cookies that are useful and many, if not most, are.

Here is a great free software.

Run it before you run your spyware software and it will never find another tracking cookie again, unless of course, you chose to keep the cookie for whatever reason.

www.ccleaner.com...

This utility will also keep your registry neat and well kempt, as well.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   
This comes up from time to time here... and I'm really curious about this since in all my years online, I've never been concerned about cookies.

Question: What is about cookies that have you concerned?

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
If that question is directed at me, it's just that I like to keep a clean and well running machine, so I just like to clean out the cobwebs on a regular basis.

I've heard people say that there's no need to defrag and whatnot, but I just like to run these utilities for my own peace of mind, even if the results are mainly illusory.

When I'm working with pictures and have a number of windows running simultaneously, I do notice a slow down if the drive is not defragmented and running the utilities only takes a few minutes and I can do them while I'm getting ready for bed and even after I go to bed for the slower ones.

So, I'm not afraid of cookies. I'm just obsessive-compulsive about some things and I like privacy, even if there is no such thing anymore.

[edit on 2007/11/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Hey BrotherOfChrist, chill dude!

It's only an internet message board mate

If you hate fast click or whoever so much, just put their domain in your 'restricted sites' zone and set IE to block their cookies!

IE7 is just as secure as Firefox, and more so in Vista, in my opinion.

I would do this myself, but cant be bothered to find out what their domain is and consider cookies to be fairly benign!

As for victimisation, I can comment, but don't take it too personal mate, like I said, its only a message board

Take it easy dude.

All the best.

[edit on 3/11/07 by DeepCoverUK]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I get absolutely no pop ups.
And on top of that....I see NO ADS...but I dont see ads anywhere. Not even on the front page of Yahoo. I guess my Norton or whatever just blocks everything?

I also dont get any spyware.........ATS has been very safe for me

[edit on 3-11-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

You might be interested in this little matter:

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options while using the website(s).

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I dont have any ad blocking software except my Norton Professional?
I dont even know how to turn it off...but I guess I will look into that.

Sorry ATS. Its been this way for years
and I didnt even set up my computer.

Will figure it out

[edit on 3-11-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I had the hardest time being able to log in to ATS when I first joined. Turns out my spybot search and destroy had automatically put ATS it in my restricted sites list, so as a result I couldn't log in. Sent a few emails to ATS saying WTF. Turns out it was my bad.

Also was seeing some pop-ups when I wasn't logged in. Now I know why.

Search and destroy does keep you away from some of the most dangerous sites. Don't know why they have ATS on their list. They also have a few other site son their as well that I frequent as well.

I do delete my cookies occasionly. Hard to keep the ones you like without it being a very long affair. Does anyone know how you can select cookies to not be deleted when you SELECT delete all cookies?

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Jeeze Leweeze.
If you are worried about cookies, crunch them. Some are useful ( login, history of views etc.), most are benign, and a few 3rd party tracking cookies violate my view of privacy. They are pervasive everywhere on the net, and if you don't like them, block them---though you will probably lose some surfing conveniences. (And maybe violate some TOS or other.)
BTW, if you know the dough, you can change the recipe.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Proof sites like these make you paranoid

As stated by the moderator, there is nothing to worry about as far as cookies go. Pop-ups ARE annoying, but having to PAY to view this site would be FAR worse.

If your paranoia gets the better of you, as stated you can always delete cookies. But in all seriousness you are wasting your time. people are paranoid by nature and the software developers highlight cookies in their programs to scare you into thinking they are saving you from being spied on. Simple truth is, you are NOT being spied on anywayz. Well not by cookies anyhow.

As many would know there are measures used by certain institutions for tracking/surveillance ie. words like "kill, president, bomb" and so on. But as far as simple cookies are concerned, there is nothing to worry about.

Unless of coarse you are totally paranoid

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Jeeze Louise, hey! That's my line! Having been hacked and my homepage high speed internet account used by said hacker at whim 2x's I can understand responders wariness. It is much like a rape when your homepage and email and God only knows what else is fodder for whackjobs. Not a pleasant experience to say the least. I can understand posters anxiety. It is hard to discern these days what is harmless, and what is not.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Edit - Aww Hamburgers...

[edit on 3/11/2007 by badw0lf]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Being hacked and having hard drives destroyed is enough to make anyone a little cautious,especially when you are descriminatory in your online viewing and with what you download,and when all that you use your computer for is a research tool.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Or you can just get Opera.

Opera = no adds (Plus most secure browser).

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Dear Brother, you have no idea the extent of the hack heartache I have experienced. It is one's worst nightmare. Do not play backgammon on Yahoo if you like your 'puter'.

[edit on 4-11-2007 by jpm1602]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Personally I have never had a problem with ATS and cookies. As for getting animated adds, I could care less. ATS is a free site due to advertisements, small price to pay for a free site.

Now if you want it to be a pay site keep complaining about cookies and adds. That is analogous to cutting off one's nose to despite one's face.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by brotherforchrist
Being hacked and having hard drives destroyed is enough to make anyone a little cautious,especially when you are descriminatory in your online viewing and with what you download,and when all that you use your computer for is a research tool.

Why are you still here then if you are so scared of the shadows on the internet?

I mean, i *KNOW* I'm safe here, I *KNOW* where to tread carefully.. You obviously don't.

Turn your PC off, get the power company to disconnect you, ask the phone company to disconnect you and move to the bush with a tent.

Ahh safety, pure, blissful safety..

:/

While you're at it, don't drive a car. Or catch a bus. Nor get a plane. And make sure you crawl everywhere, as walking is too dangerous.

Crikey..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join