It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA Workers Masquerade As Reporters, Fakes News Conference

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

FEMA Workers Masquerade As Reporters, Fakes News Conference

www.sfgate.com

One way to get decent coverage in this rough-and-tumble city is to arrange to have your own employees interrogate you at your news conference.

That would seem to be the strategy of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, much maligned for its sluggish response to Hurricane Katrina over two years ago.

FEMA scheduled an early afternoon news briefing on only 15 minutes notice to reporters here Tuesday to talk about its handling of assistance to victims of wildfires that were ravaging..
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This is really a head shaker. I don't know if I shoul dbe outraged or amused by this :shk: Real press were allowed to "listen" at the softball questions put forth to the deputy FEMA administrator, were asked by pseudo FEMA Reporters. How did they ever think this was going to fly.

What did they learn from Katrina? Not much it seems

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
In 2001 I would have been surprised by this, but over the last few years nothing the White House does anymore surprises me at all.

Fake TV News: Widespread and Undisclosed

[edit on 26/10/2007 by Sauron]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I think you should be alittle pissed off.

This is probably one of the few chances you are going to get to hear what FEMA has to say about the recent tragity and what they're doing to help the situation, and they stage the whole thing with sympathetic ears and eyes.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Thats just plain sinister IMO.
Its the fact that they think this is now acceptable behavior,coupled with them thinking no one will notice that bothers me.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
So the White House is doing a bit of backtracking on there fake news conference. Perino says the White House would never do this.
Funny I thought they already did.
And in true George Bush's White House fashion, claims it's FEMA's fault.

White House: Fake FEMA news conference won't happen again
David Edwards and Jason Rhyne

White House Press Secretary Dana Perino assured reporters today that the staged news conference organized on Tuesday by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) would not happen again, and said the White House would never employ such tactics at its own press briefings.
~~
Perino said FEMA alone was responsible for the decision to go ahead with the event.

rawstory.com...

video included

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
And people worry that FEMA is part of the NWO? These clowns couldn't organize a decent panty raid at a 60s "love in."

FredT, I'm with you, I'm ashamed for them.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I actually just got angry for the first time this month when I read, in FEMAs apology "We are reviewing our press procedures". What a load of spin-speak.

This is one of many attempts at manipulation, conspiracy, disinformation...its a criminal act by the government itself...and all we get is "We are reviewing our press procedures".

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Incredible how low our government agencies has gone to manipulate their own news conferences.

It makes you wonder as how far this government has gone and how long this has been going on.

Welcome to fake news.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This is bad, bad, really bad. Pathetic.

I saw an excerpt on the news and the question posed to the deputy director was, "Do you think FEMA has been doing a good job handling the recent crisis situation?" The answer was, of course, "Yes, Brownie is doing a great job!"

Wait, wrong disaster, wrong news conference.

I am not mad at them nor ashamed for them. I am concerned for us, but hopeful that nobody will fool us twice.

And I thought the one thing these guys were good at was lying and staging fake stories.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Now every press conference is suspect IMHO. Even the "embedded" reporters in iraq. Who to say who some of them really are?

T

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Fred we have know for quite sometimes that when it comes to Bush conferences and his town meetings they were all manipulated.

His conferences screened and also his interviews.

So who is to said that they are not doing the same with anything else, specially the Iraq news, conferences and interviews.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
It makes you wonder as how far this government has gone and how long this has been going on.

Well actually Marge this is really nothing new. This sort of manipulation of information from the authorities has been going on since media began.

"The news and truth are not the same thing." Walter Lippmann, American journalist, 1889-1974

"We tell the people what they need to know, not what they want to know." Frank Sesno, CNN News

There is not one of you who dares to write your honest opinions, and if you did, you know beforehand that it would never appear in print. I am paid weekly for keeping my honest opinion out of the paper I am connected with. Others of you are paid similar salaries for similar things, and any of you who would be so foolish as to write honest opinions would be out on the street looking for another job.
...If I allowed my honest opinion to appear in one issue of my paper, before twenty-four hours my occupation would be gone. You know it and I know it. And what folly is this - toasting an independent press? We are the tools and vassals of rich men behind the scenes. We are the jumping jacks, they pull the strings and we dance.
...Our talents, our possibilities and our lives are all the property of other men. We are intellectual prostitutes." John Swinton - New York Times - New York Press Club

The media is not here for us it's here for the elites to be used as a way to control what we know about what is going on in the real world they manipulate and control.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Thanks ANOK you know, I know but many just keep dreaming of a nice, honest, fair and balance America government system, ran by the people and for the people.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
:shk:

What a shameful state we are in...

I think what is most remarkable about this is the utter lack of widespread outrage. It's an indication that we have either given up...or that our ignorance is so widespread we simply fail to recognize the peril of the form of modern governance we have created for ourselves.

Its seems obvious to me that the decline of our great nation isn't happening with a big bang, but a simple whimper.

How sad.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
In 2001 I would have been surprised by this, but over the last few years nothing the White House does anymore surprises me at all.

Fake TV News: Widespread and Undisclosed

I agree that this was a stupid thing to do, and I can't imagine that someone actually did this, but the White House has said that they didn't know about this, and I can't imagine them being so politically stupid as to try it.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
My first story voted up to the old ATSNN was on this very subject. After reviewing that story, I am now wondering if this "press conference" doesn't amount to an illegal mis-use of taxpayer funds.

The Senate passed a measure Thursday that would stop government agencies from using taxpayer funds to disguise video press releases as real news, putting the brakes on a product Democrats call propaganda.

President Bush cautioned that some responsibility for full disclosure rests with news outlets.

"It's deceptive to the American people if it's not disclosed," Bush told the American Society of Newspaper Editors on Thursday. "But it's incumbent upon people who use them to say, 'This news clip was produced by the federal government.'"

Senators voted 98-0 to attach the measure, sponsored by Sen. Robert Byrd (search), D-W.Va., to the $80.6 billion emergency spending bill to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Under it, taxpayer funds would be prohibited from being used for prepackaged news stories unless those stories contain "clear notification within the text or audio of the prepackaged news" that discloses it was prepared or funded by a federal agency.

source

This was certainly a pre-packaged news story of a sort, and there was no notice of such within the text or audio. It was plainly intended to deceive the audience into thinking there were real reporters asking unscripted questions.

News Fraud Stopped

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I say that is strike 3. They failed at 9-11, Katrina and now this California wildfire. Fema is just a bunch of clowns who have no idea what they are doing except putting on a show.

Now they pull up a stunt like this? Oh gee give me a break. How much longer will the citizens of America will stand for this nonsense?

Dissolve Fema- at least the Local 911 rescue services is more organized to respond to emergencies.

[edit on 10/26/2007 by Leyla]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Togetic

Do you beleive them? Too many lies, to many distortions. I thought the Clinton White House was corrupt, but W's really takes the cake.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Will Bush used of pre screened friendly audiences be also part of mis used of tax payer money for its advantage.

Remember when he was doing that also.

Screening Tactics at Bush Events Questioned

The unceremonious ouster of three people from a recent White House Social Security event in Colorado has critics wondering how far President Bush will go to ensure friendly, sympathetic audiences at his town hall-style forums and rallies.

www.foxnews.com...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join