It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to the sites staff about anti-american sentimant on ATS.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
After having been here for a few years on another account and being on here with this account I have witnessed countless lies about the American government systems ethics. I also witnessed the discussions of what people thought of things to be the greatest conspiracy... "if bush was going to be a monarch or not". Quite a few members here have little tolerance towards America because they hate it for Iraq and they hate it for Bush because Bush belongs to some secret society that they think exists that's pushing for a secret agenda. I am here because I like to debate politics and talk about conspiracy. Though I must say the anti-american sentiment that some people INTENTIONALLY make their topics about to piss Americans off is becoming really unsettling. I have avoided the War on Terrorism board and the political conspiracy board because of these kinds of topics. Please, this has to stop. We are all members here. We have to show courtesy to other members that come from America that don't think how they think. It's getting really bothersome.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
interesting view... but I don't see it that way.

Some members might say there is Anti-Western sentiment, others might say Anti-Muslim, Anti-Christian, Anti-Atheist, Anti-Religion sentiments all exist here...etc... But I think that it is a matter of personal perception.

and while there may be occassional instances of all of the above, there is often a healthy dose of the opposing opinion in the mix to make the debates and discussions fair. Also I think alot of the Anti American sentiment you might be seeing is coming from Americans and not foreigners... We criticize ourselves just as much as the next guy...

just my thoughts since you asked.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
What about those of us from America who think that our government is out of control, insane, greedy, corporate zombies?

Not all anti-American sentiment is coming from non-Americans.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Fair point my friend I also see it and sometimes I have been guilty myself of giving the Americans stick. Some of it is justified, although I'm usually refering to my own country. The flip side though is the Pro war brigade which seem to revel in delight at the thought of there country nuking Iran or some other poor sod of a country. It works both ways, tolerance is the key and some members have none.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
This is the thing that make America great. Someone saying something that you personally do not approve or condone, but defend the very right of the person making the statement.

It's a free speech thing but more importantly, it's a free thought thing.

I want to hear Americans upset with our government. This means they will be involved in the process of change by voting. Whether I agree with you or disagree with, I will defend your right to express your views in America.

This is what I think America needs; liberal, conservative, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, or whatever party your in: We are ALL Americans if you are a citizen of this country.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
One of the joys of living in a relativly free society is the ability to critisize your government.

“Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.” -George Washington

link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

I couldn't say it better than this. MM has hit the nail on the head. 2/3 of the membership is American, is it anti-American to bash this administration? As a person of the world is it against Americans to call this administration on it's policy? If they want to administer world policy they ARE open to criticism from the world.

link   
There are definetly some anti-patriot, anti-american hit squad operations out there recently. They have all the right to say what they want. How we respond is the key. I am learning just ignore the weak attacks, and they dissapear. The freedom message is popular. So let it ring baby!
DWT

[edit on 8-10-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Absolutely the worst thread ever on ATS - and I am American! But hey, we have a little something called free speech here in America so you just go right ahead with your silliness.

Oh and by the way, don't bother to read any of my threads or posts because I consider myself a patriot and I wouldn't want to offend the faint-hearted.

[edit on 8/10/2007 by kosmicjack]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I disagree. I think it is a valid question and reflects the puzzlement felt by many here in this country. The media is to blame for much of it and its good to get it out in the open.

I do agree with you on the free speech issue and it is a total bafflement to me that many would be so willing to give up these and many rights just on the word of a president who has all but lied to us at every turn.

"The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil Constitution, are worth defending at all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors: they purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood, and transmitted them to us with care and diligence. It will bring an everlasting mark of infamy on the present generation, enlightened as it is, if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle, or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of false and designing men." ~ Samuel Adams

The bottom line? The freedoms we have were secured by a revolution. It is our right, nay our duty to make sure we preserve them at ALL costs. One such right is that to critisize our governement

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The replies on this thread give me faith and belief in American's.
The integrity displayed is reassuring.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

exactly and because we are anti bush doesnt make us anti american. in fact the reason i dont like bush (which i used to be a huge bush supporter till about 04) is because i i feel he is anti american atleast in the fact that he is not representing what the people want (democracy gone) but what he believes is right . theres a difference between loving america and loving the administrations policies.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I firmly beleive that its the radical right rhetoric that gets all the press but the majority of Americans would prefer a far more moderate path

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
For it IS because i am a patriot that i criticize, and because i love my country, i can complain, and because i love what this country has stood for, for hundreds of years that my heart bleeds with concern...I have the right to complain and how sweet it is to still be able to complain and may we be able to complain for another 200 years- because when the complaining is over, so are we as Americans, done for.
Let freedom ring. Let freedom ring, let the voices be heard...that's what makes this the greatest nation in the world.
May we always have the right to complain.

May we also be given the chance to stop complaining and have gratitude in our hearts, for freedom, liberty and justice for all.

( well, its from the heart)

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Every American has the constitutional right to bash or praise the government and many like me exercise it very freely as guarantee under the constitution.

What it seems to be the problem is when the freedom of speech and the constitutional rights have a conflict with other members feelings and believes.

But as long as is backed as a constitutional right so beat it.

[edit on 8-10-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
We have the fortunate ability to draw opinions from a worldwide membership, many who post from their own personal experiences, upbringing and situation.

This is all very good for those looking to find truth.

We are all biased one way or the other, and these biases show.

I was extremely biased in my opinions when I first joined this site and thought I had the answers and if you didn't agree with me you were wrong.

While I may suffer a relapse now and then,

I find that I have gained an enormous amount of knowledge from reading posts from differing opinions where each side has has a valid point though it may be obscured by each poster's leanings.

As a collective unit, we, the members of this community would be an unbeatable force in a mental battle of wits.

Alone, fighting out of a paper bag could be difficult.

Don't get so upset everytime someone bashes America, don't take it personal.

Once you let go of the personal, you will be able to read and at least understand where someone might have a point in criticizing our country.

Obviously, there are some who love the opportunity to just to piss off
members, they are easily recognized, and once you see the pattern and the style it is easy to ignore them.

While you may not like some of the things written about our country, as you grow older and gain knowledge,

You will find that some of the criticism is deserved.

edit:sp

[edit on 2007/10/8 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Operation AJAX

Begging your pardon but I believe the OP was asking for the MODs assistance in curtailing free speech on ATS. Speech that represents dissent. In America.

If that doesn't qualify it for at least a spot in the "top ten" in the category of "Worst Thread Ever" - I don't know what does. Hell, even the reptilians only got moved, not silenced!

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
America: Love It Or Hate It

As a proud American who very much loves my country, I'll admit some of the things I read in the forums make me grit my teeth now and then.

Some of it really is just plain hateful, and a significant amount of anti-American sentiment is as mindless and propaganda-driven as pro-American sentiment so notoriously is.

Nation-bashing in general is usually nothing more than ignorant, nationalistic bigotry. Ask any French citizen who has had to put up with it from obnoxious Americans.

That said, a great deal of the criticism directed toward America and Americans is well-founded, and therein lies the rub.

Patriot Games

My challenge to my fellow Americans is to consider the following question.

What bothers you more: when America's critics are wrong, or when they're right?

The honest answer to that question can be quite enlightening.

A true American stands for the values that make this nation great, and the most important duty every American has is to ensure that our government remains accountable to its people.

Doing that by asking hard questions and exposing government malfeasance is far more patriotic than waving a flag or parroting the propaganda du jour.

The Only True Freedom

Meanwhile, ATSers have been, are and always will be free and encouraged to make up their own minds about the issues.

Anything else would be utterly intolerable.

As long as members express their opinions in accordance with the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use, they can post whatever the hell they want.

The vital importance of this will only become more and more apparent as world events unfold, and I pray that we may all be able to preserve this essential freedom in the dark days ahead.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I believe that the most important thing to keep in mind when reading these "anti-america" threads is that the majority of the people are talking about the government as a whole. No matter who you are or what your personal beliefs are you can always find some fault with the government of any country. It boils down to the old addage that you can't please everyone.

But, these threads are not meant as a personal attack against the individual people of America. Most of the members here are capable of making that distinction. And once you have that in your head it becomes easier not to be personally offended by the criticism.

That being said, I am an American; I am proud of my country and proud of the fact that people do have the right to say whatever they please. I disagree with most of the decisions that the current administration has made, but my right to say that is something that should not and cannot be taken away.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaxxm
I believe that the most important thing to keep in mind when reading these "anti-america" threads is that the majority of the people are talking about the government as a whole.

I could not have said it better than that
Kudos People all to often it seems take critiism of our government as some sort of personal affront.

As Greenday said int he song "Holiday"

Sieg Heil to the president Gasman
Bombs away is your punishment
Pulverize the Eiffel towers
Who criticize your government

I do disagree with one point: They can take away our rights if we passivly let them do so

top topics

<<   2 >>

join