It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 3,000 stuck in SA mine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   

More than 3,000 stuck in SA mine

news.bbc.co.uk

More than 3,000 workers are trapped deep underground in a South African gold mine after an accident blocked a deep shaft, officials have said.

The 2.2km (1.4mile) shaft was blocked near the bottom, trapping the workers.

Rescuers are trying to use an adjacent shaft to rescue the miners, a spokeswoman for the mine's owner, Harmony Gold Mining, said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
This is breaking news and there are little details such as cause and casualty numbers.

3000 workers trapped more than mile underground?
Yikes!!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Situation Room just got done covering it, they say that the workers still have access to food, water, and communication with the surface. They also said that that they can get out either 100 or 300 (can't remember) every half hour if all goes well.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
wow!! I hope they all make it out safely. Funny how there was another story today about workers being stuck in a pipe, saying they were okay, but then all "mysteriously" die.

I hope nothing nefarious isn't happening under the surface of the earth.

and while I know that we shouldn't be talking about it while workers are still trapped, but won't this affect the price of gold?

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
LOl
....................................................................................................................

I was going to add that its often the case that in such mines, there is a phrase that may lead one, to have a understanding of the health and safety record there, "Blood Diamonds" or "Blood Gold."

It may be harsh but true and certainly takes the Wow factor or specialness of these things for me.

That is a well known reality but it happens all over the world too:

UK’s richest man in slave labour row

Times Online

Mines that is coal in russia.

I pray these South African miners get out alive and well.

Kind Regards

Elf

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
That is a lot of miners being stuck. Let's just hope nobody will leave them out like that...

This just shows another proof that why we need an automated mining technology without having to hire humans to do the job.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I hope they all make it out safely.

Not long ago, I read a prediction that someone posted on here that had something to do w/ miners getting trapped in Africa. I tried doing a search but couldn't find it.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The power is now back on and they are starting to evacuate! So far no reports of injurys,

gosh what a terrible event!

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
FNC reported they wre extracting 74-75 at a time with some type of bucket rigging. The first bucket brought up 74 and they said it was expected to take 24+ hours to complete it in this way.

No video report from the scene as yet,

I hope the whole group gets rescued unharmed.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Wow, a large South African gold mine is out of commission, huh? I wonder what this will do to the price of gold?!

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Needless to say watch the overseas markets for the first signs of a rise in the price of gold but more importantly, pray for the safe return of all the miners. I can't imagine 3,000 trapped, wow thats got to be a record.
Oh and as much as I love Diamonds I am well aware of Blood Diamonds and so stick with my family jewels instead. Really, very old family jewels.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
More info:

Rescuers bring 150 S.African miners to surface

ELANDSRAND MINE, South Africa, Oct 4 (Reuters) - Rescue teams brought the first 150 miners out of 3,200 trapped deep underground in a South African gold mine to the surface early on Thursday, mine and union officials said.

Mine owner Harmony Gold (HARJ.J: Quote, Profile, Research) is confident all the miners will be lifted to the surface in a small elevator at the Elandsrand mine near Carletonville, southwest of Johannesburg, Chief Executive Officer Graham Briggs told Reuters.

It's an elevator not a bucket, the report says 10+ hrs to complete the rescue not 24+ reported earlier.

No injuries or deaths reported so far which is a good sign, let's hope they can complete this rescue without casualties.

[edit on 2007/10/3 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Knowing the way these blood diamond mines work in South Africa, I'm surprised they aren't going to blast the mine with the people still in it. It would be cheaper for them than having to pay out on the injuries. Sad and horrible, but probably true.

But who the hell needs to wear one of these stones on their finger anyway? If you want a diamond bad enough, buy a synthetic one. No blood involved, and it's 1/3 cheaper. Have you heard about the company LifeGem? They take locks of human hair and use the carbon to make diamonds. A 0.5 carat diamond made from Beethoven's hair was selling on eBay for $1,000,000. It's ridiculous how much people will spend on rocks.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:50 PM
link   
OK, you people just aren't getting this. Blood diamonds are NOT from South Africa...they are primarily from the blood-soaked battlefields of Sierra Leone. South Africa's mining practices are some of the most sound in the world. Most South African miners are black and the owners are white. Since the SA gov't is black-dominated, they are on the mine owners like a hawk to make sure that the processes are as safe as they possibly can be.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Psssstt...

This is about a South African gold mine,

and the rescue of the 3000 miners,

who I hope survive this accident.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I know, I was just replying to previous poster. So far, I'm impressed with the mine's professional response.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by pjslug
Knowing the way these blood diamond mines work in South Africa, I'm surprised they aren't going to blast the mine with the people still in it.

They probably would if they could easily replace the people... But it's very difficult to find 3,200 experienced miners who are unemployed.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by uberarcanist

You are right, so far so good...

I was pleased to see they are able to use the elevator in the rescue.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
450 rescued so far:

Over 400 trapped South African miners rescued

ELANDSRAND MINE, South Africa (Reuters) - Rescue teams brought the first 450 miners out of 3,200 trapped deep underground in a South African gold mine to the surface early on Thursday, mine and union officials said.

Mine owner Harmony Gold said the rescue operation, which brought up the first miners after a 15-hour ordeal, was going smoothly, but the powerful mining union said it suspected negligence was behind the accident that trapped the workers.

Negligence, probably sacrificing safety to scrounge the gold out since the price is at an all time high, sick.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
worldwatcher, thanks for mentioning those workers in that water pipe. I read that yesterday, and it gave the impression that it was going to be very easy to get the workers out of the water pipe. The article mentioned something about some of the workers already having crawled out of the bottom of the pipe.

I didn't realize they all ended up dying.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join