It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carbon dioxide did not end the last Ice Age

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Carbon dioxide did not end the last Ice Age

www.physorg.com

Carbon dioxide did not cause the end of the last ice age, a new study in Science suggests, contrary to past inferences from ice core records.

“There has been this continual reference to the correspondence between CO2 and climate change as reflected in ice core records as justification for the role of CO2 in climate change,” said USC geologist Lowell Stott, lead author of the study, slated for advance online publication Sept. 27 in Science Express.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Well, this kind of confirms my suspicions that CO2 is not the Global Warming boogeyman the media would have me believe. To be fair, let me quote a little bit more:

“I don’t want anyone to leave thinking that this is evidence that CO2 doesn’t affect climate,” Stott cautioned. “It does, but the important point is that CO2 is not the beginning and end of climate change.

In a nutshell, the study concludes that there are a whole lot more inter-related factors that resulted in the end of the last ice age. I have always suspected that blaming CO2 alone was too simple and convenient.

I wonder if this means they would have to revise the whole Carbon-trading scam.. uh.. I mean scheme.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
It seems to be a very human thing to do: try to find ONE answer to a very complex problem and make it fit, even if it doesn't.

Nice find, thanks!

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Yeah, humans are lazy... I can't believe this hasn't been picked up by the MSM at all. On BBC they're bashing Bush while saying that the US is urging for a consensus on the Kyoto protocol. CNN is mentioning overpopulation, melting ice and rising sea levels. Even FoxNews where I expected this to have been picked up is just mentioning the usual boring tales, plus they have a video titled "Global Warming Myths," whatever that is about.

The only other places this is mentioned prominently are in science periodicals.

Scientific American: In Hot Water: Ice Age Defrosted by Warming Ocean, Not Rise in CO2
ScienceDaily: Carbon Dioxide Did Not End The Last Ice Age
Chemistry World: Scientists uncover how last ice age ended

Non-scientific news sources that picked it up is a 79-word mention in a Scottish newspaper and an adaptation (shortened version) of the original article in an Indian newspaper.

I guess for now CO2 is still the boogeyman. Who profits the most from carbon-trading, can anyone explain?

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Well, I started questioning this theory myself when I learned that most planets in our solar system is actually heating up right now. Scientists of course come up with some explanations to explain it, but its pretty apparent that they are just guessing as well.

There is a earlier thread on ATS about it here as well.

[edit on 28-9-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Who profits the most from carbon-trading, can anyone explain?

Oh, thats easy. Just google carbon trading profits. You'll find that the profiteers are the usual players, while each points the finger of blame at the other. Multinational corporations, the World Trade Organization, World Bank, UN, etc. Just about everyone profits from the Ponzi scheme, except the average joe.

How to profit from carbon trading

Emissions Profits in Europe Plunge as Data Questioned

Carbon: Under Kyoto, a Hot Commodity

Truth about Kyoto: huge profits, little carbon saved

As for the controversy over carbon profits, you'll probably soon realize that the same groups will profit if the carbon offsets aren't implemented.

The World Bank for example, gives cheap loans for projects that will increase carbon emissions, while simultaneously working in carbon offset trading. I guess thats called hedging your bets.

As far as I can tell, either way you "play" the CO2 issue, you loose, big corps & orgs win, while nothing really gets accomplished to impact global warming.

If it even exists.

[edit on 9/28/07 by makeitso]

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
i've researched this topic previously and have seen all sides, but one of the more interesting theories, and one that makes the most sense to me(because the earth has warmed and cooled many times long before the industrial revolution) is this site that tells of a very large amount of volcanic activity in the oceans leading to warming oceans and increased precipitation .. like the record snowfalls in the west this year and the east last year.
heres some quotes from it..

Exploring the ocean floor in an area known as the Mariana Trench, the researchers “found bubbles of liquid carbon dioxide being released into the sea, enlarging up to a thousand times and turning to gas as they drifted upward.”
-----
"March 14, 2005 - Hundreds of underwater volcanoes are erupting all over the world, especially around the Ring of Fire, reports the India Daily.

Underwater volcanoes are erupting in Australia, Greece, New Zealand and many other countries including the American Northwest, which is experiencing an unprecedented level of underwater volcanism.Andaman Nicobar Island is experiencing underwater volcanism in both the Indian Ocean and the Bay of Bengal .

20 April 2005 - New evidence confirms that sea levels have risen and fallen much more quickly and frequently than previously believed. A new method of dating dead corals reveals a long record of repeated rises and drops in sea level of 6 to 30 meters over just thousands of years.

That's too fast to be explained by regular shifts in the Earth's orbit that are usually considered responsible for the ice ages, as well as the loss or gain of water from the oceans"
-----

12 Dec 05 - An enormous hydrothermal "megaplume" found in the Indian
Ocean serves as a dramatic reminder that underwater volcanoes likely play an important role in shaping Earth's ocean systems, scientists report.

The plume, which stretches some 43.5 miles long, appears to
be active on a previously unseen scale.

"This thing is at least 10 times—or possibly 20 times—bigger than anything of its kind that's been seen before,"

Researchers also announced newly discovered deep-sea hydrothermal fields in the Arctic Ocean and the south Atlantic .

The appearance of hydrothermal vents around the world suggests that they are a far more common part of the ocean system than once believed and could be a major influence on circulation patterns and ocean chemistry. (read: gulf stream)

Hydrothermal vents are volcanic hotspots that emit gasses(c02 and mineral-enriched water as hot as 760°F (400°C).

Megaplumes like the one found in the Indian Ocean are probably caused by undersea volcanic eruptions, though scientists aren't yet certain.

"Once formed they can possibly hang around for years," Murton said. The heat from such events could have a dramatic effect on ocean circulation, which plays a role in determining Earth's climate. (again:gulfstream)

"A normal hydrothermal vent might produce something like 500 megawatts, while this is producing 100,000 megawatts. It's like an atom bomb down there.”

We’ve forgotten that this isn’t the first time our seas have warmed. Sea temperatures also shot upward 10º to 18ºF just prior to the last ice age.

As the oceans warmed, evaporation increased. The excess moisture then fell to the ground as giant blizzards, giant storms and floods, and a new ice age began.

this is a relativily interesting theory, and seems to coincide with some other aspects of ice ages previously discussed
like ocean tempuratures and ocean levels rising at the same points in time as c02 and air temps increase.
by looking at this graph..

and comparing it to this one

heres the site

www.iceagenow.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by turbokid

Excellent post! This is the sort of thing I'm looking for. Undersea volcanism does fit with the new theory on how the last ice age ended.

Good job!

I'm wondering if the cluster of earthquakes that recently happened near the Loyalty Islands is somehow related to these undersea megaplumes? A new hotspot forming, perhaps?

More links to undersea megaplumes:

In Search of Megaplumes
Second megaplume found in Pacific

Also, could this somehow be related to the dying corals off the coast of Australia?

Bleached coral raises reef fears

[edit on 29-9-2007 by Beachcoma]

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
OK, I'll post this here as well.

No-one suggested that CO2 caused the end of the last ice-age. It was a contributing factor.

The general explanation for the end of ice-ages suggests that orbital variations resulted in warming, this eventually caused emission of GHGs from the land and oceans. GHGs warm the atmosphere, thus they contributed to the warming. CO2 was part of a positive feedback system.

Essentially, this study tells us nothing new as far as the overall mechanism of ice-ages, just a bit more detail of what we already suspected. However, it does clearly show that media reporting of science is crap.

top topics

join