It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a dinosaur alive in Africa?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I've been following the story of Mokele Mbembe for years. Supposedly, a dinosaur may have survived deep in the jungles of central Africa.

Natives describe seeing what may be a long-necked dinosaur.

www.mokelembembe.com...

What do you think?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Let's see...ATS is a vast place...
I'm sure I can WAIT !!!

Mokele
Mokele
Mokele
Mokele

Just a quick sample from using
the ATS Search feature.

Quite a lot of interesting reading
there.

Enjoy,
Lex

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I know, but the newest of those threads is several months old.

As many members as this website has, there could very well be some new info/opinions, etc. , by now.

(Thanks for the links though. I did miss one of them).

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zane Zackerly
I've been following the story of Mokele Mbembe for years. Supposedly, a dinosaur may have survived deep in the jungles of central Africa.

Natives describe seeing what may be a long-necked dinosaur.

www.mokelembembe.com...

What do you think?

that is one old dino!

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Yeah... I think this topic has been discussed quite enough, but I think it's a pretty absurd idea. A dinosaur can not live through what made all over dinosaurs extinct, the ice age and then hide itself for millions of years on the continent of Africa. That's just absurd and scientifically impossible. That's pretty much my thoughts on all "dinosaurs living today".

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paresthesia
Yeah... I think this topic has been discussed quite enough, but I think it's a pretty absurd idea. A dinosaur can not live through what made all over dinosaurs extinct, the ice age and then hide itself for millions of years on the continent of Africa. That's just absurd and scientifically impossible. That's pretty much my thoughts on all "dinosaurs living today".

Just like the Alligator/Croc, Komodo Dragon for example, they lived through the Ice age and numerous other calamities that killed off their larger cousins. There are many species that lived through the ice ages of the past that still exist today. Besides by the Time the last Ice age came and gone the large dinosaurs had been extinct for millions of years.

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
^ I guess that's true. If it's possible for alligators and sharks to come through, it could be possible for a bigger dinosaur to come through, but it wouldn't be in the exact, same form as millions of years ago as people report seeing.

I still don't believe that there is a single, wild dinosaur running around Africa. Or any sort of sea beast in the waters of Loch Ness. Or Bigfoot or Sasquatch or Yeti. Simply because... how do they live that long with no companions to breed with? And if there are many of them breeding that we don't see, why haven't we EVER found a conclusive dead body, egg or any conclusive evidence to suggest they exist? It's a fun thought to entertain, but it just isn't probable...

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The jungle is much like our oceans, relatively unexplored... There really is no telling what lies at the base of our oceans and jungles.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The Gorilla was believed to be fantasy, even though natives have known their existence for centuries. Who knows what exists in the wilds of the world.

Wig

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 05:42 AM
link   
As I understand it when the villagers are shown a picture of a Rhino or it might have been a picture of a Hippo, they use the same word, for this mysterious creature.

In other words it is just something that has been blown out of all proportion.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Paresthesia

Basically almost everything they teach you in school is a lie. It's biased to deny the fact that the Bible is the word of God. The fact is they have found hundreds of fossils that show some dinosaurs lived at the same time as man. Moreover there are egyptian hieroglyphs that show ethiopians hunting dinosaurs and similar finds are found in South America.

The most likely explanation for the demise of the dinosaur is the worldwide flood. Evidence contrary to post-christian modernism is viciously suppressed. Even the Smithsonian has tossed tons of controversial fossils and other material into the ocean.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
How long did Giant and Colossal Squids not exist? They do now! There are so many creatures out there that haven't even been discovered yet, and nowadays people that say they saw something like a fourteen armed bald bear with webbed feet and seven wings, some people will believe them, but most will say that they are crazy, or just trying to make a buck. So most of the world is threatened by the possibility that something may not be as it seemed yesterday. I find it not only possible, but likely that there are animals in the jungles that we haven't seen.

One word...Coelacanth!

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
on the one hand, its entirely possible. big continent. big enough to support a breeding population with only a few scattered reports of sightings? hmm. On the other hand, natives report things like serpentgods, a wagon wheel that burns in the sky from east to west every 24 hrs and ... well... you get the other hand by now. the thing for me is if the range of these animals is That restricted, they should be Much smaller. There were pygmy dinosaurs, found in small valleys with limited resources. just sayin.....

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheHorseChestnut
The Gorilla was believed to be fantasy, even though natives have known their existence for centuries. Who knows what exists in the wilds of the world.

But even though it was "fantasy" and had a diffuse descriptions, it was encountered by many expeditions (including by the Pheonicions 2000+ years ago).

How many dinosaurs has really been reported (in a reliable way) by all the explorers of the world in the last 2000 years (and especially the last 200)? Not many I think. Plus I would question if any land living creature today could qualify as a "dinosaur". They would probably have evolved quite a bit, considering the climate changes since 65 million years ago.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I agree with the comment concerning the need for a large enough population to sustain any species.

So often these reports are of individual creatures, the sasquatch being a notable exception, and the simple truth is, these creatures, when they existed, were not immortal. Unless there truly is a hidden population of these critters someplace, I just don't see how these animals could still be alive.

I wonder if there has ever been any research regarding how long dinosaurs lived?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Sobering statistics:

Estimated total species on Planet Earth:
It is estimated there could be
Up to 15 million, or
40 million, or from
5 million to 100 million or
1.4 million to 200 million, or
7 million to 100 million, or
10 million to 100 million
different species on Earth.

In other words,
we don't know how many there have been (some are now extinct) or how many exist.

Known species:
So far, scientists have only discovered and categorized
approximately 2 million plant and animal species (estimated at 1,770,000).

Imagine the vast number of wondrous and irreplaceable species
that have evolved over millions of years that are yet to be discovered!

But, we may never know how many there are
because many of them will become extinct before being counted and described.

Source

And to illustrate that the search goes on.

"Walking" Sharks Among 50 New Species Found in Indonesia Reefs

Source

Over 400 species have been newly identified on the island since 1996
52 new species discovered on Borneo Island

Source

11 new species discovered in Vietnam

Source

More Than 100 New Species Discovered In Hawaiian Islands

Source

21 new species found in forest that has kept its secrets since the Ice Age

Source

Perhaps they may yet discover a Mokele Mbembe.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I remember seeing a movie on this dinosaur story when I was a child…..I looked it up on google and found this…. ‘Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend’

is an American children-oriented movie made in 1985 where an American couple find a family of surviving Apatosaurs (Brontosaurus) in Central Africa and their struggle to protect them from a greedy scientist and the military. The movie is based on actual rumours about such creatures (called Mokele-mbembe) existing in Africa

en.wikipedia.org...:_Secret_of_the_Lost_Legend

I’ll have to say.....from reading the link that it is reported to have hair in one of the descriptions.....so I’m guessing it has evolves somewhat.....also birds are a direct descendant from dinosaurs.....so....you never know......

I'll have to say.....anything reported that big should be fairly easy to find.....and if the locals have seen the dinosaur enough time that they can look at a picture of what may be the actual dinosaur, then it shouldn’t be too hard to find it with sophisticated equipment and such…..

[edit on 24-1-2008 by andre18]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by merka
How many dinosaurs has really been reported (in a reliable way) by all the explorers of the world in the last 2000 years (and especially the last 200)?

Since you asked.

Cryptozoology, Living Dinosaurs, and Origins

Copied, with permission, a relevant portion of article
In 323 B.C., Alexander the Great and his fighting men reported while in Africa, they were forced to retreat from a huge dragon that was 105 feet long and had eyes the size of a shield. It was apparently worshiped by the locals.

In 1271 AD Marco Polo wrote that dragons were used in China to pull the emperor’s cart on special occasions.

In 500 AD the “father” of written history (Herodotus) wrote that in Arabia he saw many leathery-winged, serpent-like creatures on the shore of the Nile Delta.

In 565 AD, Saint Columba, a missionary from Ireland reported seeing a giant monster in Loch Ness.

While visiting Lucerne, Switzerland in 1619, Christopher Shores reported seeing a giant winged dragon that had a long neck and tail, and large jaws.

Around 722 to 705 the king of Assyria (King Sargon II) was sailing in the Mediterranean Sea when he stated that he saw a sea serpent.

In 1734, highly respected missionary Hans Egede wrote that he saw an enormous sea serpent near Greenland.

In 1848 Captain Peter M’Quhae and the crew of the H. M. S. Daedelus were off the coast of South Africa when they saw a sixty-foot sea serpent for twenty-minutes.

At 10:15 AM, December 7, 1905, zoologists and members of the Zoological Society of London, Nicoll and Meade-Waldo observed a large plesiosaur-like creature off the coast of Brazil. The creature had a large fin on it’s back with a long neck and turtle-like head. The next day the crew of the ship reported seeing a strange creature. Please note that there were several plesiosaur sightings in South America about this time.

In 1907, British Army officer Major Percy Fawcett was commissioned to settle a dispute between Bolivia, Peru, and Brazil concerning borders. While venturing deep into Amazon jungle he encountered an animal which he called a diplodocus. Major Fawcett was regard as a honest, “meticulous recorder of facts.

The article goes on and on up to 1995.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
the reason i find it hard to believe in this or nessie or the dino in south america is how can 1 of a species survive? are they antisocial against their own kind??

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I have located some TOP SECRET footage of real Dinosaurs in Africa. Hold on to your hats- this is going to blow you away folks!

www.youtube.com...

I dont think the government is going to be able to keep a lid on this very much longer!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join