It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#Debunked# civil war ufo image #Debunked#

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This is an image I got off the now defunked "counterevidence" website,... it looks authentic...

notice that the persons in the image are looking right at the ufo...
which , by the way, matches Lazars description of what he saw at "S-4" as the "sport model"...
now if this can be proven as a fake, so be it...

The story behind this image from the site was that this photo is in the Smithsonian archives, but is not on dispaly, the "ufo" is dismissed as a smudge...

the image was created by the well known civil-war photographer Thomas O'Sullivan...

Click for Civil War UFO Photo

Mod Edit:

Seems the original image was found showing no UFO...the only logical conclusion is that the Civil War UFO photo was/is a hoax attempt...not necessarily by the opening poster though.

Please read the following for the original un-photoshopped image:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9/15/2007 by kinglizard]

[edit on 9-15-2007 by William One Sac]

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
sorry I here it is...

i86.photobucket.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Fascinating!

It could be an observation balloon of some sort.

The Civil-War era is an interesting era; it spawned iron-clad warships, innovations in submarine technology, mines (the anti-ship kind). And, of course, observation balloons were used. Who knows what else (Alcatraz?
).

However, to me, that thing they're looking at looks like the classic flying saucer, not an observation balloon. And it's interesting to note that the UFO is indeed pretty much the focus, both in terms of the photographer's composition and the point of attention of the soldiers in the picture.

But, nonetheless, I'm inclined to think human technology before jumping to conclusions of ET technology.

Frigs

Death to Hoaxers.

[edit on 15/9/07 by Fuggle]

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   
It looks fake... the UFO looks to airbrushed and the people are all too vibrant compared to the rest of the photo... in fact the entire photo looks fabricated. Looks like a few photoshop filters are being used here.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
What exactly looks fake?

the image as a whole has an overall even grain to it,...

a closeup of the ufo...

i86.photobucket.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Take the time to look at "authentic" civil war photos and you will see no discrepancies...

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
here is one I pulled of the web...

i86.photobucket.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
another off the web...

i86.photobucket.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Oh I can hardly wait for the contoversy on this one!
And no living witnesses to ask to come forward.

So this will all be photo investigation.

What a great way to start the fall season.

I'll start by giving a star and a flag, just because I want to see how this one goes down the pike.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Even if the image is real, it won't matter because we are now in a day-and-age where it takes more than photos to prove anything.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Classic ufo shape, one of them anyway. Geez, biblical paintings showed obvious airships, ww2 pilot veterans reported them, and most recently astronauts. It is more concerning to me why some folk are ready to blow a gasket if there is something beyond their understanding that is so right in front of your eyes. Even G. Washington reported a strange occurrence. I just don't get it. Literally tens of thousands of people report stuff that shouldn't be there, all of them can't be crackheads. I don't know what you are afraid of. Oh yes I do, the unknown.

+18 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 02:06 AM
link   
That must have been one very still UFO. At that time, exposure times could be very long by today's standards. There was no such thing as a "snapshot".

Oh, and here's the original photograph sans UFO

[edit on 15-9-2007 by IAttackPeople]

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by IAttackPeople

I was hoping someone would find and post this. Someone in the know. Someone with the know-how.

But what's with the sarcasm?

Froggle

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
It may just be me, but the images look drawn, rather than actual photographs.

In the first image, the people look drawn, if you look at them close enough. Some areas of the trees also look like they were hand drawn.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
It may just be me, but the images look drawn, rather than actual photographs.

In the first image, the people look drawn, if you look at them close enough. Some areas of the trees also look like they were hand drawn.

yea, thats what I thought as well... it doesnt look real.

-fm

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Ya this first one definitally looks drawn to me no doubt.Could I be wrong?Most likely.

[edit on 15-9-2007 by Project_Silo]

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   

(IAttackPeople's find)

Edit: resized pic

[edit on 15/9/2007 by internos]

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAttackPeople
That must have been one very still UFO. At that time, exposure times could be very long by today's standards. There was no such thing as a "snapshot".

Oh, and here's the original photograph sans UFO

[edit on 15-9-2007 by IAttackPeople]

Even though the exposure time could have been as long as a couple seconds, as evidenced by the blurring in the flow of the water, having viewed the 20meg tiff version scanned from the original negative, I have to agree, there's absolutely no ufo in the original photo.

All the figures in the foreground, in fact, have their attention focused, not on a clearly vacant point in the sky over yonder (apart from some dark splotches of film grain), but on a man standing upon a rock in the middle of the river, barely discernible in the "ufo" version.

The original shows no evidence as well of having been altered in any way.
The detail is astonishing.
You can actually see individual leaves on the trees and determine which branches were moving in the wind as the exposure was taken.

Oh, and by the way, the photographer of the original image was Timothy H. O'Sullivan,

Great find IAttackPeople!

This was clearly a doctored image.

No wonder the source site for the "Civil War UFO Image" is no more...

[edit on 15-9-2007 by goosdawg]

[edit on 15-9-2007 by goosdawg]

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   
So can somebody put the official "HOAX" in the title so nobody else has to read this god forsaken thread.

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Yeah, here's the thing chief... when any civil war period photographer actually took a picture, it wasn't a "johnny on the spot" type deal. He actually had to prepare the glass photo plate, then take it out to the camera, and expose it for a good long time.
Game over, no UFO would just "hover" and cooperate with a civil war era photographer.
Nice try though, you had a few of us going.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join