It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police caught on tape threatening to destroy and invent evidence

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This is the reason I dislike police.

Arrogance.

EDIT:
To clarify. I dislike arrogant people all together, but police are some of the most arrogant people, as a whole, that I've ever met. Each and every one I ever met have a superiority complex.

[edit on 10-9-2007 by tyranny22]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

The poster below you says it best. It is ok for us to be filmed in the name of security, but not ok for a private citizen to do the same?

In short...PROTECTION. It works both ways. Cops video tape stops in order to protect themselves from false accusations. Why can't anyone else? Why is it that the individual who does the same thing is "looking for trouble"? So there you go... I changed the comparison, can you answer the question? Does that kind of logic (or lack of) help at all?

What if, by using your logic, the camera did not catch a police stop but instead a car jacking and this kid got killed. WOuld he have been driving around with a camera on "looking for trouble"?

[edit on 10/9/2007 by section8citizen]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Umbrax

It does no good, 'brax, if you tell them you have a camera, they'll just take it and destroy it.

According to my workout buddy, who went on to become a police bigwig, the judges hate the cops because they know (according to them/my friend) that the cops just lie and lie. Allegedly; that's what he said.

Doubt if he'd repeat it since he's now chief.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
Obviously, you've never been racially profiled from the cops. Or youthfully profiled I should say. I admire this kid for standing up to the pig and installing cameras. BTW, my brother's a cop.

Two completely different things IMO. We're all young and stupid (so to speak), we're not all the same race (human excluded).

Peace

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by Infoholic
The person in the video was placed into that exact situation before, of which he described...

That's why he had the camera running.

And so I ask, is it not odd for this guy to have the same thing happen to him again when most of the population has never had it happen to them once. At what point does personal responsibility factor into the equation?

Peace

Personal responsibility for what??? Pleased enlighten us...WHAT WAS HE DOING WRONG? What does he have to take responsibility for?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Two completely different things IMO. We're all young and stupid (so to speak), we're not all the same race (human excluded).

My point was that some cops like to harrass young people because they get their jollies off from being the big man and pushing around kids. I've seen it plenty to know.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
You can just look at any number of skateboarder videos to get a good example of how the young are profiled.

Still I did not see where the kid acted like he knew it all when what he questioned he had every right to question.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The problem is that a lot of cops think that they are above the law. And since they can selectively enforce the law, they look out for each other. Thats not the way the system is supposed to work.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

My point was that some cops like to harrass young people because they get their jollies off from being the big man and pushing around kids. I've seen it plenty to know.

if only i had a camera when I was younger. when I was a minor (16) a cop pulled my friends and I over (on our bicycles) and forced my friend (15) to the ground, and put a gun to his temple.

Now, I'm not very familiar with the law, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal, and to this date has forced me to view police officers much differently than others, obviously including a few posters in this thread.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Im just tuning in here, I was out and about this morning...

This doesnt shock me, It only strenghtens my knowledge that if you really want to be a "bad guy" and do it right.. Just become a cop!

I mean they are above the law, and many have made stuff up in the past on people, many of my friends. They never got me, becasue well, you have to know how to talk to these people.. Being a smart ass is no way to talk with a cop, it only makes hulk mad!!!
Yes sir, no sir, thank you sir... Yet the kid in the video wasnt being smart with the cop. The only thing he did wrong was ask him a question!!
Yeah it sucks, as you should be able to ask a cop a question but some will freak out!!! Remeber kids, yes sir, no sir, thank you sir...

Arm yourself people, with cameras, cell phones, what ever is at you disposal!! Thanks for brining this thread into the limelight..!

What should be done about it? I can see you guys talking about this for many pages.. I just say, I will keep this one to myself this time..

[edit on 10-9-2007 by zysin5]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
As unfortunate and criminal as the situation is that you described, you can not let it change the way you view ALL officers. Not ALL of them are bad, just like not EVERYONE who gets pulled over is bad. You have to give people enough room to hang themselves.

Had the cop come to the window and the kid flipped out and was saying "What the F are you pulling me over for? This is fin BS" I would agree that you crossed the line and you get treated in the same regards. However the kid was polite and asked nicely, "What did I do wrong?" and it is the cop in this case who crosses the line.

The fact that the cop admits that he will make up some bogus charge and throw the kid in jail tell the whole story. It is just wrong ...period.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
to this date has forced me to view police officers much differently than others, obviously including a few posters in this thread.

I've had a cop point his gun at me also. Christmas eve even. Routine stop because me and my friends were YOUNG, in college and just hanging out. Cop asked for my ID, I reached around to get it out of my pocket and next thing I know, there's a gun in my face.

Really gives you a bad perspective of the good cops out there. But, like I said, my brother's a cop. A good one hopefully.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
In the very begging, it very clear in the video the kid used his turn signal to enter the parking lot. The officer lied!

This cop needs a new job.........

[edit on 10-9-2007 by All Seeing Eye]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

And this type of action is not uncommon in police enforcement. I'm not saying it's the norm, but it's certainly not uncommon. I do have one friend who is a police officer who was a really nice guy. I never seen it happen, but he seemed like the type to flip if he were disrespected in any way.

There's been many times I've been pulled over for no reason and harassed. One was for swerving when I didn't, another was speeding when I was actaully going under the speed-limit, another was for not wearing my seatbelt, which I was, but the cop said I put it on after I saw him (I never saw him until the blue lights came on - and he would have had it on camera if it were true).

I've always simple agreed, "Yes officer, no officer, you're right office." And that's all they wanted to hear. Always let me go. You just have to feed their ego.

How can anyone who acts like this command repsect?! I have no respect for this individual.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   

A parking lot spat got so heated between an off-duty Milwaukee Police Sergeant and a woman that he handcuffed her and wanted to press charges.

This reminds me of this situation which happened about 2 weeks ago in my home town:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

read it, its a great article........

[edit on 10-9-2007 by TeslaFan]

[edit on 10-9-2007 by TeslaFan]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Yes its logical to have a camera in your car. Yes its logical to want to prove your innocence. It happened once, thats all the MORE reason to have a camera this time around. I may even decide to.

Also in a college class of 18-22 years of age (Criminal Justice 101) 19 out of 23 people had a bad experience with cops from being charge with numerous traffic violations when they simply had their music up load. (the was no city ordinance against loud music in this area), to having the cops beat one of their friends up for saying "you dont have the right to just walk in here". (they opened the door when it was closed, which is a violation of the law. then they said the door was slightly open, giving them the ok to go inside)

even I have had my bad experience with cops simply because I fit the profile. I had no clue what he was talking about but he was telling me about all the time in jail I would spend from everything he would charge me with if I didnt fess up. I didn't, and eventually he had to let me go.

But let me tell you, it's ILLOGICAL to think you can watch that video and blame the kid. Even if he was "looking for trouble", he proved his case. If the cop can't maintain his composure and do his job right, he shouldn't have a job as a cop. "Looking for trouble" or "sitting in a public lot for all 20 seconds" or "back talking" does not give the officer the right to:
Investigate a suspicious activity outside his juristiction
open the car door without permission
threaten the kid with false crimes
harrass the kid to give him a reason to be arrested

Plain and simple, in LEGAL terms, this cop was in the wrong on every account while the kid, however mal-intended he may have been, did everything right by not breaking ANY law, at ANY point. You can't talk the cop out of this one.

link   
reply to post by Badge01

I never said anything about telling anyone you have a camera.

Like I said search on YouTube for police brutality and you will see a number of videos. Without video evidence you've got nothing. Had this guy not had a cam rolling in his car this thread wouldn't exist.

link   

The cop should be reprimanded to a degree, but certainly shouldn't lose his job. The kid was parking in a dark parking lot at night. There's nothing wrong with the cop seeing what's up.

The only thing wrong with a cop going up to a parked car in a 24 hour commuter parking lot and asking a ton of questions is the fact that he had no right to go up to that car. Just because a car is parked in down town Compton doesn't give a cop the right to go up to it and start asking its occupants several questions. A cop has every right to come up and talk to you but no right to threaten you with fraudulent charges when you don't want to talk back to him. He needs PC or probable cause to ask questions. Not only that but they kid asked what he did wrong and the cop acted like he just spit in his face. This cop is a danger to him and others. Not only that but any respectful law enforcement officer would say this guy is a liability for his department. Any nut job who thinks he is Judge, Jury, and executioner should not be allowed to perform one more day of his duties. How many other naive students do you think this jerk as accosted? How many other people has he framed? How many other people has he turned into cop haters? Too many is my answer. This cop broke the law. That's as simple as it gets. He threatened to make up charges just because this kid asked what he did wrong. The cop should not only be fired, but lose his ability to become a cop anywhere. One incident like this should be enough for this guy to never work again. Stop making excuses for this guy because he was clearly wrong on all counts.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
You know what guys, I'm a beaten man. My back hurts from hunching over my desk/keyboard.

Let's just see how this kid's lawsuit works out. Afterall, why wouldn't he file one? Should be a slam dunk.....right?

Peace

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22

I've always simple agreed, "Yes officer, no officer, you're right office." And that's all they wanted to hear. Always let me go. You just have to feed their ego.

I see that in the US the way to tame a pig is the same as in Malaysia. And here I thought you guys were lucky this sort of cases aren't common. I see I was wrong. All those cop movies and CSI must've given me a rosy picture

On the plus side, you guys are still lucky in a sense, since you can easily take the matter up to the courts if you have evidence. Here we're better off taking it to the press first.

[edit on 10-9-2007 by Beachcoma]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join