It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Peace will NEVER happen. Ideologies and Impossibilities.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
The wishful thinking that is world peace, while great in theory, is an impossibility. There are several reasons for this. I will list a few of the many here.

1. Conflict is in our nature. Even in a house of only two, conflict is NEVER completely avoided. Most of us even have a habit of PERSONAL conflict just to feed that desire in us to always be at odds with SOMETHING, even when alone.

2. There is ALWAYS a victim. Even when there is no aggressor, we, as a species, have a habit of making ourselves victims on a near daily basis. It seems as if we are incapable of taking blame for the majority of our faults. Therefore, we must always have someone or something to lay the blame on.

3. We are animals. As much as most of us would like to think that we are so much better than every other species on this planet, we are, in fact, animals. Being animals, we all have NATURAL animal instincts inside of us. For the most part, they are not at conflict with "peace", however, there are certain natural instincts within us all that will ALWAYS be at conflict with the idea of "peace". One of our basic instincts is self preservation. However, destruction and chaos are instincts that can come out in all of us at certain times. These two NATURAL instincts are in direct conflict with each other. As long as these instincts are present, there can never be a "true" peace.

World peace, in theory, is great. However, in reality it is quite impossible. Asking for world peace is akin to asking us to deny parts of ourselves that make us human. Rage and dominance are two human qualities that will NEVER be completely done away with nor should they be. Our range of emotions is one of the main things that make us human. To deny any part of that, no matter how bad we see that part, is to deny some of the very things that make us human.

I say, before we need to even THINK world peace, we need to work toward getting a bit of peace within ourselves. If we can do that, perhaps "world peace" won't seem quite so important.

That's my two pennies anyhow.

Jasn

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:42 AM
link   
A thought provoking post as usual, Jasn

One thing that's always struck me about us humans is, we seem to function better in smaller groups, as far as having less conflict with each other goes...

Yet in smaller groups, we wouldn't have made the "progress" as a species we have to date...And whether this progress has been good for us or has even bettered us is debatable, for sure...

So I guess we've made the trade off. Denying ourselves the ability to live in harmony in smaller groups, for the progress we've made scientifically, living longer lives, some of us living more comfortably, and so forth...

Whether all of it has been good for us, I honestly don't know...There are so many things to consider, so much to look at...

Thanks again for the post, Jasn...Certainly got my wheels turning thinking about what you've written...

Peace

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

Your argument as to the impossibility of world peace is good as far as it goes but it doesn't engage the best counterarguments. Aggression, conflict, selfishness, our animal nature -all true. There are reasons to not foreclose the question- throwing up of our hands -to do so underlines our passivity. Societies can adopt standards of fairness and justice, political structures, institutional cultures that promote cooperative modes of activity -and subliminated (highly exciting) substitutes for war. International affairs can be approached the same way. We as a group can be better than some of the individuals.

Our current devotee of war G. Bush is product of crony capitalism and a Southern culture of militarism and religiosity --he comes from a context --is not just an example af human capability to be aggressive . Even if we are not very well-behaved animals, we can still band together to keep the worst of us out of power, and keep media open, and build barriers to war. That we "can" doesn't mean we will --that too has a social and historical context. It's a tall and even laughable order to take on the grand matters of "world peace" but let's practice the pessimism of the intellect and the optimism of the will. (Gramsci ?)

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
As long as there are men and women with the combined talents of lying, greed, and ruthlessness there will always be conflict and war. So many leaders have risen throughout history who promised peace and brought only war and devastation (Hitler, Mao, etc...)

posted on Sep, 12 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
World peace is a nice thought to have, but in the end the human race is a violent species. Although we have many peace-sayers all over the planet, the majority, in some type of calamity or disaster revert to their more primal instincts: Survival. You don't survive by giving a bear a flower, or a man trying to rob you of your precious food holdings a hug and a kiss. It doesn't quite work this way. I wish we would all get along, but our survival instint as a primal...beast, for a lack of a better word, and our ideaologies as an 'aware' creature are so differing....I honestly think it would take a miracle and or some kind of outer interference to change the way our minds are wired. *shrugs* My 2 cents

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDei
The wishful thinking that is world peace, while great in theory, is an impossibility. There are several reasons for this. I will list a few of the many here.

1. Conflict is in our nature. Even in a house of only two, conflict is NEVER completely avoided. Most of us even have a habit of PERSONAL conflict just to feed that desire in us to always be at odds with SOMETHING, even when alone.

2. There is ALWAYS a victim. Even when there is no aggressor, we, as a species, have a habit of making ourselves victims on a near daily basis. It seems as if we are incapable of taking blame for the majority of our faults. Therefore, we must always have someone or something to lay the blame on.

3. We are animals. As much as most of us would like to think that we are so much better than every other species on this planet, we are, in fact, animals. Being animals, we all have NATURAL animal instincts inside of us. For the most part, they are not at conflict with "peace", however, there are certain natural instincts within us all that will ALWAYS be at conflict with the idea of "peace". One of our basic instincts is self preservation. However, destruction and chaos are instincts that can come out in all of us at certain times. These two NATURAL instincts are in direct conflict with each other. As long as these instincts are present, there can never be a "true" peace.

World peace, in theory, is great. However, in reality it is quite impossible. Asking for world peace is akin to asking us to deny parts of ourselves that make us human. Rage and dominance are two human qualities that will NEVER be completely done away with nor should they be. Our range of emotions is one of the main things that make us human. To deny any part of that, no matter how bad we see that part, is to deny some of the very things that make us human.

I say, before we need to even THINK world peace, we need to work toward getting a bit of peace within ourselves. If we can do that, perhaps "world peace" won't seem quite so important.

That's my two pennies anyhow.

Jasn

1: As intelligent beings our goal provided we don't wipe our selves out will be to better ourselves. Of course conflict may exist and always will however it is also in our nature to progress and better ourselves as well. For this reason it is a logical assumption that in the future that man kind will advance to the point where we will be able to unite and solve our conflicts peacefully with reason and logic.

2: We are still developing as an intelligent species in it's infancy in many respects including socially, mentally, technologically and politically. It is the hope however that once we leave this state of infancy we will simply no longer blame others for our own mistakes. While we will still have emotions in coming decades and centuries humanity will begin to embrace ideals that today only seem like wishful thinking. People in the future if everything goes right will be more rational and have nothing to blame by pitting mistakes they made unto others.

3: We aren't simply animals we ask questions the main question being 'What If?' We produce art and technology we have visited other bodies and so on etc. With things like cybernetics, robotics, and genetic engineering as well as other aspects of our civilization we are a constantly adapting and evolving species. We also have the drive to better ourselves with our creativity as well I can foresee a future in which humanity is no longer the humanity we envision today but rather a benevolent species that has grown past our reliance on instinctual behavior.

To put it simply we aren't like other animals as we not only have the desire but the means to self evolve and grow past what we are today and truly achieve greatness.

World peace for now is impossible but if we can make it a couple hundred more years we will have rid ourselves of many of our imperfections as we mature out of our infancy.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Sorry, but I tend to disagree with every thread you have opened recently.

World Peace is easily established once each and every person accepts and appreciates diversity. diversity of culture, opinion, attitude and the respect of borders.

Thats not difficult to do, I have been doing it all my life. And thats exactly the path this world is heading towards.

Appreciating diversity is only difficult for the immature imbecile.

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
"world peace" an interesting topic

but don't fall into the all peace or nothing syndrome

their are impossible numerous levels of "peace" and "waring" that society has gone thru

the bottom line is despite our animalistic nature we CAN DO MUCH BETTER

if we were not being manipulated to focus on a materialist life (we would not be so competitive and morally bankrupt) and would be able to live with more TOLERANCE of each other. it depends on the agenda's of those "in power".

there are resourceful outlets for anger and range and the whole specturm of our "beastly nature" as well as much better ways of thinking and perceiving things to maintain our promise to ourselves to survive yet act more rationally and resourcefully in the context of a more developed world. it's a matter of training your brain and advancing as a species, as well as being "ruled" by people who don't have an agenda and have seen helping others is more rewarding than a lust for power that can never be quenched. even if we haven't yet , we can do better.

[edit on 13-9-2007 by cpdaman]

posted on Sep, 13 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I find it rather ironic that the last two centuries, 19th and 20th, were considered by many to be proof of mankinds intellectual and spiritual evolution. They've beleived that our preoccupation with science is evolving us away from the needs of religion therefore making us better and more united.
Ironic isn't, however, that mankinds bloodiest wars were fought in those two centuries?

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   
World Peace is pure fantasy.

Even Bonobo Chimps chew each other's fingers off.

Even before humanity had organized religion and currency, before greed and holy war humanity was eating and killing each other. Apparently Cannibalism is even built into our DNA.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

War and Violence are constant among animals.

Did you know Cows are Cannibals? Life on Earth is pretty violent and horrifying.

Cannibalism
en.wikipedia.org...

Sexual Cannibalism
en.wikipedia.org...

Infanticide
en.wikipedia.org...

Savaging
en.wikipedia.org...

Parasites
en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Parasites that induce Suicide
en.wikipedia.org...:Suicide-inducing_parasitism

Predation
en.wikipedia.org...

There will only be peace on earth when it is a dead planet.

[edit on 15/9/07 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Appreciating diversity is only difficult for the immature imbecile.

deserves a special bold and star. love reading this from years ago!!

I would also consider it a huge stretch to label a personal conflict between two in a bar, or maybe a couple going at it, in violation of world peace. But if i also go by your stretched out concept, then I guess no one with an annoying voice could talk, because surely you've heard, shut up i want some peace! Maybe no one should be allowed to talk.

I guess i'll take a generalized view of peace being no wars, no battles, no irregular bombs basically. I still want a shotgun in my house for the crazy person. Human emotions are crazy and so are psychopaths. If one comes in my house, sorry. I'll protect any of my friends and family. Protection is not in violation of peace.

World Peace is practically impossible, because most refuse to use a practical application of the word. I hate that no one will even take the first step. Its almost as if World Peace > Violence > Half Peace/Little Peace to them.

However, come spend a month with me and you'll see that peace does exist. You cant abandon your people, you've got to teach and if they wont listen, make them listen....is this important or not to you?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Im just saying its possible. Some may even try to fabricate a space war to make it work

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

our collective world is a reflection of each and every single one of us as individuals. it is therefore only a person who cannot imagine himself at peace who cannot imagine a peaceful world.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

False Flag Space War for world peace

whatever works!!!
....kudos kudos...that was definitely outside of my box. Not anymore though,
I'll be watching you curiousity. Not sure if anyone would buy it, if the aliens
didn't actually show up.

diseases creating 'zombie' humans would probably be the most real we could get
to unite us but...
fighting zombies definitely violates world peace to me
fighting aliens violates galactic peace to me.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nicolet

our collective world is a reflection of each and every single one of us as individuals. it is therefore only a person who cannot imagine himself at peace who cannot imagine a peaceful world.

best quote today.
all it takes is a little imagination
which is easier than faith

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by RABiam
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

False Flag Space War for world peace

whatever works!!!
....kudos kudos...that was definitely outside of my box. Not anymore though,
I'll be watching you curiousity. Not sure if anyone would buy it, if the aliens
didn't actually show up.

Throw in some genetic stem cell modified creatures with AI remote connections like AVATAR movie and..... This is a realm of trickery so basically it up to those w/ money to design and pay for these experiments if thats the case. SO you and me say are ptb and we both paid for craft and genetic bio bots. the rest is your imagination.
battle for LA new movie with the water hearts ect. or battle ship remind me of a close related scenario lay out.

top topics

join